ThunderDragonCy

Kids first RC help please?

What surfaces will the youngster have available to drive on?  The reason I ask is that if they plan to drive on grass, then something with larger tires will be a better fit.  If they will be driving on pavement and/or dirt, then there are a lot of options which I usually suggest a Grasshopper.

We gave the kids a DT03 each last Christmas. They were 9 and 11 at that time. They build the kits almost by them selves, and have driven them quite a lot since, without Breaking a single part.

4C6232E8-3E54-4470-B794-668F8EE127CB.jpeg

• Like 3

20180605_201556.thumb.jpg.9b38d02ac03d72d7fc89f05277d00859.jpgI'm a big DT03 fan, it's tough, fast and handles well enough, but being 2wd it gets even better as you learn to drive it properly. Either of the buggy variants are good or the Aqroshot is a nice 2wd truggy.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I got my kids a Rising Fighter. Its a bit rubbish and we all find it frustrating. 

That looks to me like a DT01 chassis, back in the late 90s when I had about 8-9years I got the DT01 Fighter Buggy, I got it first, two of my friends got the Mad Fighter Buggy.

it was such fun at snow or anytime. Lots of fun and I still have it about 20years later and I am thinking to put a brushless inside from SkyRC. For my son I have a DF02, he is sill a small child but shows much of interest for cars. It probably is goong to wait for him unless I get a Lunchbox or newer DT chassis.

The DT01 model makes me nostalgic. Hah

4A386868-88BE-4371-986C-513108222253.jpeg

50F12BA0-DC14-414B-8330-B390A5C56FA8.jpeg

• Like 1

A lot of bang for your buck - ECX  Ruckus 2WD Monster Truck... I’ve one for sale

It’s not a great handling driver but you could fix that in time... the brakes are not very strong and it’s cumbersome handling ( weak servo saver) would need improving to keep you happy ( Mr Handling!) but for a kid the size might be impressive enough. 

One mod to fix this is putting an RPM servo horn in which I’ve bought ( included a n box) but haven’t had time to installed and I’d prefer to tinker with my Tamiya list rather than more work here. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2018 at 10:40 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

I got my kids a Rising Fighter. Its a bit rubbish and we all find it frustrating. 

Nooooo! :-D  you just need to drive it more! 

It took me a while to appreciate it, ampro's 3d printed parts further transform the buggy

(It's not dt-01 chassis, it's grasshopper 2)

1 minute ago, taffer said:

Nooooo! :-D  you just need to drive it more! 

It took me a while to appreciate it, ampro's 3d printed parts further transform the buggy

(It's not dt-01 chassis, it's grasshopper 2)

I have driven it plenty. I have AMPRO rsae suspension, oil shocks and my own double wishbone conversion on the front and it's still annoying. The bouncy solid axle is just not me.

Lol fair enough, for me it's a much improved hornet which takes me back to 1986 when I first had one (hornet) for being so basic it actually impresses me that it drives as well as it does!

(I suppose you had to be there! :-)  )

(Although from launch in 2008, it took 7 years, five rising fighters and 50+ hours of driving for me to get the nostalgia! Lol)

33 minutes ago, taffer said:

Lol fair enough, for me it's a much improved hornet which takes me back to 1986 when I first had one (hornet) for being so basic it actually impresses me that it drives as well as it does!

(I suppose you had to be there! :-)  )

(Although from launch in 2008, it took 7 years, five rising fighters and 50+ hours of driving for me to get the nostalgia! Lol)

I think this is it. I never had the Hornet/Grasshopper stage. I was very lucky that my first RC was my Thunder Dragon so all those solid axle cars seem a massive step back. Even though I love the Grasshopper2 body that was more born of the body I had for the Thunder Dragon and the Grasshopper2 Jnr I had. The reality of the buggy itself isn't for me. Didn't go near the ReRe!

Cannot recommend the GF01 highly enough. My 8 year old boy wanted the Dump Truck which he absolutely loves. It goes anywhere and is pretty bomb proof. I use normal 540 motor in it. My 10 year old daughter loves it too so she got the GF01 Toyota which we have just finished painting in hot pink!

I got them both Spektrum DX2e controllers which they can hold and use quite easily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I think this is it. I never had the Hornet/Grasshopper stage. I was very lucky that my first RC was my Thunder Dragon so all those solid axle cars seem a massive step back. Even though I love the Grasshopper2 body that was more born of the body I had for the Thunder Dragon and the Grasshopper2 Jnr I had. The reality of the buggy itself isn't for me. Didn't go near the ReRe!

My favourite 4WD buggy the Thundershot, didnt happen overnight either! weren't over keen on release in '87, only because of a former member kept saying how great the chassis was that I bought a few before the re-re came out!

The Dump truck or King Yellow are great starter buggies as well!

• Like 1

I have 4 grandsons, youngest nearly 4 and eldest 12. they all have buggies, youngest had a Madbull, and the others have grasshopper 1 s, with 380s, althought her eldest wants  a 540 in his! I got them all as "loft find" pre owned from Ebay...that keeps the costs down a lot! 

So far just replaced a ESC and one chassis that got the suspension post broke...

as long as the spares are available, lots to choose from!

I told my son once he can drive around  track I'd buy him a race buggy. He can't yet, but I just bought him the car. Got a 1 year old HB Racing D413 for $200 which is quarter of the new price. Its a roller, I know the guy selling it and its in great nick. Race kits are bulletproof, could be a good option...then you can take it to the track too when they're not looking...