Ray68

TBLE-02S with B/L 13.5t in Dt03

Hi,

I have a Trackstar 13.5 B/L motor fitted into DT03 with a TBLE-02S plus 2S  the motor turns for a few seconds then stops the esc gets hot and I think has a thermal shut down. 

The gearbox with the motor fitted was very noisy to turn which I put down to the motor and the pitch of gears as with motor out it is smooth.

is the 13.5BL too much for the TBLE-02 or does it sound like something else?

Thanks

I would be surprised if it's the ESC at fault if everything is running properly. I've run a 3300kv/13.5T Speed Passion in my DT03 since I got it 18 months ago, running on a TLBE-02S. I've run truck wheels on grass, 8.4V NiMH, 2S Lipo, none of it has been a problem. Would be worth resetting the ESC. Sounds like the current draw is too high. 

The gearbox shouldn't be noisy either. Sure, it's not quiet like a finer pitch would be, but it should be smooth and free running. Pull the motor out and spin the wheels (together to avoid the diff just spinning). It should spin the transmission freely.

Thanks for advice

I have removed motor from gearbox so I can deal with the motor and gearbox as separate issues.

When the throttle is moved the led lights red as you would expect but nothing happens same with reverse motor is dead.

I did change the TX throttle position from reverse (correct position) to normal and motor jumped across the bench then esc got hot again and was dead.

I will strip the gearcase to check for anything a miss but its so simple I can't see anything wrong.

It might be worth sticking a stock silver can if you have one spare & see how it runs. If all’s well then the ESC might be cooked??

Interesting this.  We've been told repeatedly that Tamiya's own brushless motors have substantially lower current draw than other brands, and that's why such a cheapo ESC can supposedly cope with such high power motors.

Certainly, we've had ones that simply won't work with non-Tamiya low turn motors, shutting down after 30 seconds or less but fire up and run without thermal shutdown on their ones.

I am going to try a sliver can as I seem to collect them and see how that goes.

Question the comment earlier if a silver works fine then the ESC might be cooked?

i found why the gearbox was tight and binding.

i had replaced the plastic hex's with some gmp aluminium ones and one had bound tight to the hub whilst it turned it was very stiff. 

I think the esc may be cooked as its just flashing red and other setting motor mode I can't set throttle high point.

Yeah sorry about previous post. I meant to say if it still didn't run with the motor changed back to a silver can, then the ESC is probably cooked. ( If that makes sense now ).

My TBLE 02 went fizz pop as soon as I plugged the battery in for its second run that was days after its first. (On a silver can and NiMH). Every thing else was fine. I then replaced it with TEU 104 BK and has been fine ever since, even with the Sport tuned motor in it now.

I just keep a cheap Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 ESC in the spares box now just in case.

13 hours ago, PoormanRC said:

I've been running a Hobbywing WL10BL120 ESC in a 12+ pound Wraith for over a year, not even get WARM, even when climbing at 60+ degree inclines!! 

I know several people who also run Hobbywing, with similar success. Yes, they're about twice as much as a TBLE-02, but they perform as well as Castle or Tekin (not Pro Models), that cost OVER $100.00!

Just a thought.....

I have the same experience. Although I haven't had any general issues with my TBLE02S ESCs,  when one started constantly doing thermal shutdowns on my Thunder Dragon using only 13.5t motor (must be the weight and added drag of 4wd as it's fine in my DT03 even on truck wheels) I got a hobbywing quicrun BL120A sensored ESC and it's amazing. The car absolutely flies because the ESC can handle proper current draw and I am now regularly running 2S Lipo and don't have to faff with Lipo alarms. As Poorman says, it may be twice the price but it's so worth it. There's a 60a version too which only a little over 30 quid at Modelsport.

In the end I gave up with the TBLE02 and went with Hobbywing 60a  BL /sensored and it all worked straight away.

Now have two redundant TBLE 02 in the draw .

Did you actually set it to brushless mode?? (sometimes they are set to brushed mode and generally give a lot of trouble when a brushless is connected) also sometimes the high point needs to be reset with some radios and that also causes a lot of problems. I have about 7 of the tblm-02s that I use with brushless motors and they where all setup slightly different from the factory and basically just needed reprogramming to operate correctly. 

Just a thought

Juls