SuperChamp82

Have Re Re’s destroyed vintage appeal ?

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

I don't care about the monetary value of them; I just like what I like.

I respect a man of his own value.  

9 hours ago, Shodog said:

Yes

I'm inclined to agree, and I love rere's. I've spent a fortune on them.

Perhaps I wouldn't go as far as to say the vintage appeal has been destroyed, otherwise I wouldn't have bought any. But lessened? Certainly. Difficult to argue otherwise as far as I can see.

I'm still new here, and have limited experience with Tamiya cars overall.  I've only ever built a Frog (when I was a kid), and have rebuilt that same Frog, and have added a Blackfoot (Bush Devil) and ReRe Grasshopper to my collection.

I have a love/hate relationship with the ReRe cars.  My experience is based on coming back to my Frog about 3 years ago, after the ReRe Frog had been out (unknown to me), and before the ReRe Blackfoot came out. 

I love it because it has given me access to new parts for these aging vehicles.  My rebuilt Frog is essentially a ReRe now since I've replaced 95% of it with ReRe parts (I've only kept my OG MSC plate and the driver figure and maybe a few other random bits).  Having that ability to replace any broken piece easily has been a great.

I hate it because after the Blackfoot was ReRe'ed, the prices for ORV stuff on EBAY doubled overnight, or out-right disappeared.  Vintage parts used to be cheap and easy.  But now, you have to take a second job and troll EBAY for weeks to but that thing you need...  

But then again, the ReRe BF is responsible for the MIP ORV tranny..  So I love the ReRe again...

The ReRe GH???  I put some Hop-Ups (vintage and new) and 2.2 tires on it and got it running hot, but it sits in my sons room and does nothing since he isn't interested in anything that's not a video game or sports...

What is an RC addict to do?!?

Terry

If re-re's had come along earlier I probably wouldn't own NIB original Top Force Evo's, Egress', SRB's, Dyna Storms, Super Astutes, Taisans, etc., believe me, the list goes on.

I've always been an enthusiast rather than a speculator but I am a little bummed that my NIB vintage collection is probably worth less today than it was say, 15 years ago.

But on the other hand, I never saw myself selling them either so I was always in a lose/lose situation lol. Either way, an original will always command more than a re-re, you just need to find a collector.

I'm thinking of making some stuff into projects, especially all of the rare TA02 stuff I have.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

Either way, an original will always command more than a re-re

I wonder if the Mazda 787b might be the one and only exception to this. A combination of the fact it comes with a finished body, and the paint job being one of the most difficult out there.

56 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

I've always been an enthusiast rather than a speculator but I am a little bummed that my NIB vintage collection is probably worth less today than it was say, 15 years ago.

If I had to bet on it, I'd say it's just a case of being patient and it'll go back up again. Perhaps when the rere's themselves become old and the novelty wears off a bit.

1200mah - 5 minutes running - keep them hungry and wanting more.

5300mah - running for ages - ok, I'm bored now. Let's do something else. :D

• Like 1

TC never disappoints ! 

Thanks to everyone that took the the time to reply. 

To kick some points forward ... and ignite a few more:

1. I’m a 70s child now able to build a collection unaffordable when I was 9 - so all my SRBs and 3 speeds still run ... albeit with care when gently coaching my own kids into the hobby.

2. Investors looking to capitalise rarely appreciate why true collectors hoard - and for me, it’s for that  1976+ build experience with my Dad, then running (or fixing) the output ... it’s never how much (or less) stuff is worth.

3. When I restore its 100% nut / bolt original - which takes ages to find bits but is oddly fun + massively rewarding ... again back to why I collect / vintage building.

4. That doesn’t mean I’m a rich idiot with limitless pockets - and no one who’s ever had to restore a pre 85 car 100% will ever make short term money on it imo ... - this thread started from a niggling concern that I don’t want to spend a lot of cash restoring the next model I love, only to find Tamiya re re it in an almost identical spec ... which would have sorted my vintage build fix at a third of the price ! And let my kids bash the crap out of it w/o me sweating at every turn ...

5. The fact that re re bits keep older cars alive is true but, for me, still cheating on a truly vintage build / drive experience unless re re parts are so close to original that the difference is immaterial beyond a microscope. 

6. Putting aside why we build stuff, belittling or disincentivising the investor community is, for me, fatuous -  not least because w/o them subsequent re re’s don’t exist ... and the cash it all generates wouldn’t fill Tamiya coffers to give us future classics - so don’t bite the hand that feed us.  

At which point let me re-phrase the original question - which vintage models could never be re released w/o destroying the original build / running experience ?

And why ?

Over to you guys again :) 

• Like 1

Your only 2 years younger than me and without re-re's I would not have taken to collecting. I am collecting for me with no thought about original parts, For me its just the joy of having the model in front of me in a state that I could run it IF I was inclined to do so. 

Without re-re's the availability of parts to restore the junkers I have started from would make it an unrealistic prospect in terms of my patience and budget.

While I fully appreciate the logic to getting an Avante or Egress or Top Force (the top of the Tamiya tree from back in the day) they were just unrealistic targets for me back in the day - so they still sort of are as well. What I want is a shelf filled with my own old restored buggies and the ones my mates messed about with. ( I have 5 original buggies, 3 mine and 2 from mates) that form the basis of my new collection. For the terrain we messed about on (mostly my fathers broken and uneven farm yard and a bit of back garden bashing, we all had Tamiya 4wd buggies. The kit I really coveted back then was the more realistic Vanquish rather then the totally insane Avante. Its the one I am waiting on to complete my run of 4WD. 

As I already have a re-re BigWig (top of the Boomerang series that was my first car) to the end of my CURRENT collection......... so I would LOVE a re-re Vanquish as I could build it myself and have the same connection with it as I have with my own cars. Buying someone else's vintage car cant have the same pull ( FOR ME ANYWAY) as a car I have built, painted and done myself.

Is there any car they should not re-re......NO

• Like 2

I think everyone of us knows, that if you are into RC , you aren't going to make that much money. Trying think of a car thats fairly rare, say ,A mini mustang. They were £129 new back in 1987, so , just to get the same money back, you'd need to sell it for £345 due to inflation.

Re re's mean that you can have your childhood ,always wanted car , and stuff modern brushless elecs and Lipo (3s🙄😀) into it, giving not only the looks, but the performance the tamiya promo vids suggested, for me, a win win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1