Sign in to follow this  
Slyda

Grasshopper #4

Finally got around to finishing this one off. You could call it a Grasshornet or Hornethopper if you like, basiclly it's a Hopper with the rear shocks and RS540 motor from a Hornet fitted. The paint is a one off custom job, I laid down a coat of Tamiya pink primer followed up with two good coats of Tamiya pure metallic red then topped off with two coats of Tamiya clear red. The resulting look is somewhere between a candy apple red and an anodised aluminium which in normal light looks a bit ho-hum but when in direct sun light it really pops big time. The roof is done in Tamiya pearl white. It's a pity the photos don't really do it justice. The decals are all from MCI Racing and the Budweiser ones were actually for a Earnhardt Jnr 1:10th NASCAR which I had scaled down to 1:12th scale to ensure they fitted properly and I ticked the box for the mirror finish gold option. The one piece alloy wheels were found on eBay and there are more bright shiny bits from T4works planned to be added in the near future. The inspiration for this project came from the IMSA Budweiser Chevy Monza as i liked the pure simplicity of the livery, however I did want to add a touch of white like the latter Bud liveries. Even though it is fully functional and goes quite well, because of the paint job and the inability to do any touch-ups, this one will spend most of it's time on the shelf with only occasional use. Overall I'm very happy with the way this one has turned out.

DSCN5742.JPG

DSCN5752.JPG

• Like 9

Bought a pair of these shocks from RCmart last night, they are for rock crawlers so I'm hoping that they will fit the rear of the Hopper. Will find out in a week or so when they arrive.

gmade-GM23302-1.jpg

On 9/16/2018 at 5:33 AM, Slyda said:

The Chevy Monza that inspired the build.

autowp.ru_chevrolet_monza_dekon_imsa_gto_1.jpg

dekon-monza.jpg

Mid-Ohio-1978-08-27-001.jpg

Ooh, nice. I was just reading an article about one of these which was exported to race in Australia. Unrelated to the European Opel Monza/Vauxhall Royale series, despite the passing similarity in appearance.

Yup, know all about that one, DeKon Monza #1005. DeKon Monza #1001 raced here in NZ before getting into a big shunt, it now lives in Oz. 

DeKon1001_RedDawson_1976-01-25_Teretonga-01 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Sweet. There was also a whole load of shenanigans in Australia around Peter Brock trying to import engineless versions of the European Opel Monza, so he could fit them with Holden V8s and call them Holden Monzas for the purposes of racing them. It didn't come to anything, but was a nice try.

Awesome paint scheme, works really well with the wheels too, you have my compliments :)

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2018 at 10:12 AM, Yalson said:

Sweet. There was also a whole load of shenanigans in Australia around Peter Brock trying to import engineless versions of the European Opel Monza, so he could fit them with Holden V8s and call them Holden Monzas for the purposes of racing them. It didn't come to anything, but was a nice try.

He did build one, used it for his personal transport for evaluation then the project got canned. A very differen't Monza to the one he raced.

1484914367329.jpg

brockMonza.jpg

• Like 1