Avante2001R

TRF 211XM - Ugly but great performance.

I bought this car as I wanted to experience a modern 2wd buggy. Obviously I’m a big Tamiya fan so this was my choice.

Since building it I have had a quick blast with a Tamiya 10.5 brushless and Nimh cells with and it is simply amazing, handles the bumps well and steering and traction is great also. If only it looked as nice as it handles.

Sorry images are in random order not sure how to get them correct. 

3_A85_AC93-_AF09-49_C7-9_E04-1_C885924_A

566_C01_B3-952_F-430_C-_AE6_D-84_F67187_

0_C9858_C6-6478-411_A-_A5_CB-00_B63_E5_E

5_FB94841-6_AB0-44_D5-8_E58-94_CB70_E60_

75009_F72-9_F17-49_DC-97_D0-1_CC7_C88_F3

A5_D0_EF4_A-_AC50-459_C-_A024-79_E1637_E

D7_C08_CED-0_F04-4_A43-_A078-_B6_B0_C78_

• Like 5

Race buggies are amazing to drive aren't they? My DN01 and DB01 blew me away when I was used to entry level and vintage buggies. Have fun with it. I totally agree about the body. I am a fan of Team Azarashi bodies. They are a bit less angular and cab forward. Anything that they say will fit an RB6 or RC5M should fit the 211. 

• Like 1

I just finished building a TRF201, and TRF211. Brilliant building, great performing cars! I figure these will be collectors items, and Tamiya's last effort in producing an all out race kit for the masses (hopefully not).

I’ve got a 201 to build up at some point I do love the box art with the pink and blue but can’t seem to find the decals. Any ideas where to buy the Azarashi shells from? They do like nice. I hate the way buggies have started to look with a cab forward design. Looks horrid!

8BFCA150-DECF-40C1-8799-78B4A457FC53.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

I’ve got a 201 to build up at some point I do love the box art with the pink and blue but can’t seem to find the decals. Any ideas where to buy the Azarashi shells from? They do like nice. I hate the way buggies have started to look with a cab forward design. Looks horrid!

8BFCA150-DECF-40C1-8799-78B4A457FC53.jpeg

DMS Racing in the UK have plenty. I have just bought a Fascia body for my TRF211 lay down conversion which is supposed to be for a YZ2. I have a Quracca body on my DN01 (sametub as TRF201X) which is originally for an RB5. They also do a dedicated TRF201 shell called the Caynk.

I think any of the Aralgo, Erithus, Lepter or Pholc shells for the mid-motor buggies from other brands should fit the 211.

https://www.dms-racing.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=69&virtuemart_manufacturer_id=18&limitstart=20

Thanks I’ll check it out. Did you do a hex conversion on you car? Cannot seem to find Yokomo hex conversion kits anymore. I think RC10 ones need more hacking to fit?

7 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

Thanks I’ll check it out. Did you do a hex conversion on you car? Cannot seem to find Yokomo hex conversion kits anymore. I think RC10 ones need more hacking to fit?

My DN01 is stock bearing wheels. My 211 has a used front end I got on eBay which has yokomo hexes. Never bought the parts separately. Once I have run the 211 I will decide if I would prefer bearing wheels. I have more of those.

• Like 1

That's about it. Although the deck is apparently lighter but with different flex characteristics to the aluminium deck. I bought the 211 conversion and the only bits I got apart from the deck was the battery stop and holder parts.

Need to find a good brushless motor and a new modern radio setup. I tested it out with a Tamiya 10.5 and Tamiya esc. Lot of potential for more performance. 

735D2CB9-0C05-42A3-AC1D-18BD7726A00D.jpeg

• Like 5

Way more performance to unlock! 2WD's are pretty unruly with a 6.5 but with a good radio and speedo with ramping profiles an 8.5 can be a real blast.

And I think these days you can get good motors for cheap, you don't really even need to go brand name any more (although I stand to be corrected on that).

Those pinion weights are astonishing, what's going on there?

I’m looking at a 7.5 for this or maybe an 8.5. There is a good motor review by Nick Adam of Demon Power on Chinese Surpass motors. They are apparently top notch and sold for around £50 Shipped.

The idler is a lightweight version from Tamiya.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Where do you get those motors for 50quid shipped? Banggood sell them but more like 70quid. They look cool

Aliexpress. 

22 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Where do you get those motors for 50quid shipped? Banggood sell them but more like 70quid. They look cool

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Never been a huge fan of that shell, but it looks great in white. 

Same here I prefer the 201 shell but that’s how things are going. Cab forward is ugly!

Agreed. I have one of these for mine. Its an Azarashi Fascia for the YZ2. In the process of cutting at the moment. Fit isn't perfect but it's not far off and I much prefer the "mid cab" stance and curved lines.

Team-Azarashi-Fascia-Yokomo-YZ-2-Body.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Agreed. I have one of these for mine. Its an Azarashi Fascia for the YZ2. In the process of cutting at the moment. Fit isn't perfect but it's not far off and I much prefer the "mid cab" stance and curved lines.

Team-Azarashi-Fascia-Yokomo-YZ-2-Body.jpg

Post some pictures once trimmed and fitted might look at this option also. Mine weighs 23g painted would be interested to see how much that shell weighs.