Bromley

CC01 Defender...It's arrived!!!

7 hours ago, Pumesta said:

I love my Defender

Lovely colour scheme, I nearly went with something very similar. Is the snorkel home made?

7 hours ago, Bromley said:

Lovely colour scheme, I nearly went with something very similar. Is the snorkel home made?

Thanks the paint didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.  I got the snorkel on Ebay cost about £3 

Got out today with the D90. I locked the front diff and changed from hard to medium barrel springs on the front. I also printed some bumper end caps in the week, I think these make the front end look much nicer. It made decent progress on the snow and ice, just had to avoid the deeper soft powder.

20190203_145352.jpg

• Like 3

Love that.  Is that the unused bumper that is in the kit?  Tempted to fit a roof rack to mine but how do you get to the body pins 

On 2/4/2019 at 9:36 PM, Pumesta said:

Love that.  Is that the unused bumper that is in the kit?  Tempted to fit a roof rack to mine but how do you get to the body pins 

Thanks. The bumper is a piece of 5/8 aluminium angle bolted to the plastic bumper that you refer too. The end caps are 3d prints.

The roof rack does indeed cover the body posts, I have put some cable ties on the r clips, so there not too fiddly to put on. I toyed with mounting the rack further forward to clear the body posts, but it didn't look right.

• Like 1

Another little addition to the front end...tow shackles. These are the Fastrax ones.

20190206_213715.jpg

• Like 3

Had a great morning of crawling, climbing and field repairs. Found an amazing playground...and only 10 minutes from home!
There were 4 of us with Tamiya D90s in various states of modification.

1 of my radius arm ball joints came loose, bending it's fixing bolt in the process! Managed to get the bolt out and straighten it. All was good again in the world!
Lots of steep loose shale climbs and heavily rutted byways.

20190224_121755.jpg

• Like 7

I got one a couple of weeks ago, got everything built up but now getting to the painting bit, I was thinking of just using the can of Tamiya PS-5 to spray the whole body, but this is my first attempt at a build and spraying so a bit nervous about it, any tips would be appreciated.

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

• Like 1

Wash the body in warm soapy water and dry it before you paint, and then do a lot of light layers. Like 7 or 8 light layers.

Appreciate that, now just have to get up the nerve to do it , maybe wednesday as it will be a nice warm day and can spray in my well ventilated garage, with doors closed and hopefully minimal dust and low humidity, if all goes well i shall post :-) Thanks

Don't stress too much if it's not perfect. All those stickers will cover up the imperfections. 😁

My ones looking pretty sad these days. Two winters worth of off roading have taken a toll. But it all adds character. 

Just remember, it supposed to be fun.👍🏼

• Like 1

Great thread.  I love Land Rovers, even though I have a full scale one sitting in the yard that needs much love.

Thanks to you all, I couldn't resist the current sale on Tower and ordered one last week... should arrive in a few days.

I'm really looking forward to building and modding this one.  So far a full bearing set, YR steering kit, and softer barrel springs are one route as well. B)

• Like 1

Having lots of fun modding this chassis.  Going to hit the trails tomorrow and see how she does.

cc01_1.jpg

cc01_2.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone have any pointers or thoughts on an interior that would fit the D90 body well?

Just check how much space you have in there. I had to screw the driver to the chassis to get him at the right height in a Bronco. Definitely no room for seats.

Check Matteo's YouTube channel. He does a tutorial how to make a simple but effective interior for the Land Rover and also G-wagon.