tim04

Colour options for polycarbonate 2CV

Hi there,

I'm just about to start preparing the 2CV polycarbonate shell for painting and would like to do it in grey (something like the pictures below) but I'm struggling to find any appropriate colour that would work with polycarbonate. The closest I could find is Tamiya Pastel Grey but it looks like that colour is discontinued. The other option is an original Citroen colour called Celleste Blue which is a pastel blue shade.

Any help/advice on what my options are would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim

2cv1.jpg

2cv.jpg

• Like 1

Tamiya PS32 Corsa Grey looks a fair match...if a little lighter.

Maybe try backing it with black to darken it a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bromley said:

Tamiya PS32 Corsa Grey looks a fair match...if a little lighter.

Maybe try backing it with black to darken it a little.

I thought the same thing.  

Here is a picture of Corsa Grey done by "greasypete" from RCcrawler site. 

eJqLa95.jpg

Below is the same color under brighter light. [by masta swerv] 

Maybe you can do a similar 2-tone scheme, like how waterbok showed?  

5xcOiKN.jpg

It's actually three tone, blue, gunmetal and (matt on the outside of the roof) black.

• Like 1

I'm partial to the 2CV classic black and maroon color scheme. That grey is excellent though if you can match it. 

• Like 1

Even if Pastel Grey is discontinued it will still available in most places for a while.  I used it on a Subaru and it came out just a bit lighter than the first photo of the 2CV you posted.  If you backed it with black, it might come out very close to what you want.

nOlzy6Q.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the replies. I was in the model shop today and picked up a can of PS 23 Gun metal grey to test. I think it would look good with a deep red/maroon roof. None of the other colours really stood out for me; will post up a few pictures when it's done. I need to cut out the shell and was thinking about some curved Tamiya scissors to do the wheel arches - are they decent enough?

I've had a few full size 2CV's in the past which I've restored and this model is making me want another one. I can't believe how much more expensive they are though! 

• Like 1

I recently painted a body with a color combo of PS-37 and PS-63 that would look perfect on the 2CV

E472F4C4-6D09-49CB-B3E3-5D031C2183EA_zps

• Like 1

If you have not started your 2cv yet a good alternative to Tamiya paint is the Rust O Leum dark grey made for plastic. This is a paint that incorporate the primer and the colour in one. I have it done in this colour in a few of my Tamiya models and my Citroen was done with the blue from Krylon made for plastic. I find these 2 brands are as good as Tamiya but you get 3 times more paint for the same price and many different colors choices. The Honda is from the rust o leum dark grey. 

A2052B8A-852D-4800-B48F-F2ECF9090EB6.jpeg

7B657030-2DBB-459A-B07B-3A6F58BAE484.jpeg

Edited by Capucine
Orthograph error
  • Like 3

Many thanks for the comments; I ended up going for black (with matt lacquer for the roof) as I owned a rare black 2cv many years ago! I painted the shell and couldn't understand why it looked so dull....I then realised there was a protective cover on the outside! I'm glad I realised before trying to apply the matt lacquer on the roof!

IMG_1204.jpg

• Thanks 1

That works really well, the roof looks the proper texture with the matt lacquer 

On 9/21/2018 at 7:31 PM, Juggular said:

The Maybe you can do a similar 2-tone scheme, like how waterbok showed?  

5xcOiKN.jpg

What is this shell and where can i get it?! 

I think it's based on Yokomo FNATZ mark2.  I found it on a Japanese site.  He might have modded the black part.  

For one of my projects where I needed a similar shade (maybe a little darker and cooler coloured), I went for Bright Gun Metal (PS-63), I've yet to actually use it though