Sign in to follow this  
theshopkeeper

Midnight Pumpkin - extra suspension mounts

Just spent the evening assembling a MP - but it reminds me of something I used to wonder about when I had one of these years ago:

Why is there an extra set of front suspension arm mounts hidden up inside the chassis? The chassis is stamped Lunchbox and neither the LB or MP use these mounts - so was there another car that used this chassis or was there a low-rider variant Tamiya planned but never released?

this is because the LB and MP use a very similar chassis to the old 58044 pajero which does not use the extra add on front suspension pieces that the MP and LB use. you will also notice the etxtra rear damper mounts also

Yes, see what you mean. And some sort of bracket mount at the back too - just the right place to put an exhaust pipe on...

quote:Originally posted by bholio

Here's what it looks like when you use the hidden set of front mounts:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...id=12662&id=214

It also looks like you could lower the rear by using Grasshopper or Hornet rear suspension mounts which are shorter than the MP/LB ones. I never tired that however.

id="quote">id="quote">

I have tried to make a low ride pumpkin. The problem is that the rear gear box mounts are not long enough to make the wheel base correct. Some custom mounts would do the trick

hi guys i have just been given by a very good friend a tamiya lunchbox my stamp says RCC LUNCHBOX i am missing the front grill/rear and side bars i also have a midnight pumpkin body too with out the glass.

it looks very what shall we say not to strong and i can see myself breaking it i also cant see any hidden shock mounts anywhere, so what can i do i have some nice clod shocks but cant fit them, i also would like help with modifications to it like folks do to clods [:D]

would you have any ideas please

Virus

I finally got around to driving my Lunchbox with the low-ride front end. In hindsight, it wasn't such a great idea. I broke both front shocks and did some body damage.

I stuck my Novak SS5800 brushless in and let it rip. Slamming the throttle flipped the truck straight up on it back. I do suspect that the low-front-end did reduce the wheelie abillity somewhat.

The problem was that violent wheelies sometimes flipped the truck sideways. The altered frontend allows the front suspension to droop very low, lower than my front shocks would extend. When the truck flipped, sometimes the front end would be yanked during the flip, resulting in broken shocks.