Sammo

TA02 RWD FRP Speed Run Build

Evening :)

Some of you may remember my FF01 speed run car I've been slowly building.

It's not quite finished although the finish line is certainly in sight now, so I thought it was about time I started my next project which I've had in mind for a while. 

For the last couple of years I've had an old TA01 Chassis kicking around. I've never used it but it's always sat on my desk in the hope I might build it into something one day. Well, that Chassis still isn't being used but it provided the inspiration for this build.

It all started off with me spotting a brand new TA01/02 FRP Chassis kit on eBay a few weeks ago. I stuck it in my watch list expecting it to get snapped up before I had the money to buy it myself. Surprisingly as pay day came around three weeks later it was still sitting there. So I bought it, and plenty of other bits to go with it. Anyway, today those bits arrived :)

e7eIBSN.jpg

Not one to stand on ceremony I got straight on with building the chassis. Now I've dismantled plenty of TA01 and TA02 chassis' to be able to do it with my eyes shut, however despite my FF01 being FRP the chassis came pre-assembled so I've never actually built one. After staring at the parts tree and pile of screws for a while I decided to get the FF01 down to use as a reference for where it all went. That worked and before I knew it I was underway :)

GgMD4zq.jpg

KIRq4Rn.jpg

Uyj1UXg.jpg

You'll notice the FF01 doing a bit of life modelling in the background. A very useful reference. 

0b4jsuN.jpg

I figured as I'd got this far (reasonably quickly) I might as well attach the gearbox casings as well.

1bvsTqd.jpg

Im still waiting for a rear diff to arrive so I could only attach the main rear housing, however because I'm running this as RWD I carried out getting the empty front casing screwed together and onto the chassis along with the FRP top deck :) 

EdOCJ0i.jpg

ShRWMkB.jpg

5XX7fVR.jpg

I then had to figure out how the carbon front body mount bracket went together and onto the chassis. It took a bit of googling to find a decent picture but I think I got it right haha!

G8S9W8h.jpg

6Y3Yg1V.jpg

I'm still waiting for plenty of other bits to arrive but I'm happy with the start I made this evening :)

For the body I decided on the Mercedes 190E from the TT01E kit. After lots of searching I managed to find someone selling the body, sticker set and wheels but after adding it all up with shipping it was coming to nearly £70!! I did a bit of googling and found Tower Hobbies were selling the whole kit for £93 delivered! So I bought the whole kit!

smh2C0g.jpg

Yr4jvsn.jpg

kGxk1Ri.jpg

Ive taken out the body, stickers, wheels and tyre's and I'll advertise the chassis kit on eBay as I've got no interest in the TT01. 

Thats about it so far. Not bad for the first night :) 

• Like 3

I’ll be watching this with interest - i love the bodyshell, what a choice! 

I may be interested in the rest of the TT-01 chassis to use as a runner btw

• Like 1

Got a bit more done once my Daughter had gone to bed last night. 

My diff arrived from eBay so got that fitted along with the speed tuned gear set and then got the casings fitted. 

k7omEPD.jpg

WeFZphr.jpg

VJsvHlj.jpg

5HLeMzV.jpg

gds4Pqp.jpg

Qk0TKFS.jpg

Once the gearbox was together I got the carbon rear tower fitted :) I’ve removed the body posts because it’s going to take a bit of mixing and matching to get them in the right place for the Mercedes body. 

fKqr1VR.jpg

7cu6GmQ.jpg

f7XrTFK.jpg

Thats as far I can go with it at the moment. I’m now waiting for the postman to bring my next haul of parts :) 

• Like 1

Cool idea, like it. Would it be worth popping a little silicone sealent over the diff out drive and prop shaft holes? Stop anything getting into the empty space a rattling about. 

11 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

Cool idea, like it. Would it be worth popping a little silicone sealent over the diff out drive and prop shaft holes? Stop anything getting into the empty space a rattling about. 

Funnily enough that’s exactly what I was thinking last night when I was putting it together. 

The postman’s a good lad isn’t he! Today he arrived with a few more bits for me :)

WYYQcYN.jpg

You’ll notice I’ve ordered two sets of arms. I decided that as I was spending money I may as well order a set for my FF01 as well! 

Anyway, this evening I got on and got the arms fitted. They slotted straight on with no issues and seem to fit really well. I’m going to need to buy some very skinny shims to take out a little bit of movement but otherwise they’re spot on!

AiEQIaU.jpg

5ERNTjc.jpg

BT1Xc2k.jpg

So I don’t lose it I loosely screwed in the Yeah Racing Motor Mount too. 

JoRbDoL.jpg

I also fitted the arms to my FF01 so once that was done I got a quick pic of the two FRP’s side by side :) 

wFwBRHg.jpg

I wonder what the postman will bring next :) 

• Like 1

Well he’s gotta bring the hubs and knuckles and some cvds, some 53571 fluorine coated dampers, a ta02 turnbuckle arm set, some gpm alloy steering set. Some 30mm cool weather foam tyres for the back and warm weather 26mm up front. 

Oh and pull those front arms off and flip them.... .... .........

2 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Well he’s gotta bring the hubs and knuckles and some cvds, some 53571 fluorine coated dampers, a ta02 turnbuckle arm set, some gpm alloy steering set. Some 30mm cool weather foam tyres for the back and warm weather 26mm up front. 

Oh and pull those front arms off and flip them.... .... .........

Haha shushhhhhh. You’ll ruin the surprise!

Thanks for the tip on the front arms. I didn’t have anything for reference so took a shot in the dark!

Got a little more done this evening :)

I made some turnbuckles for the front and fitted the steering as well. I’ve decided on the standard plastic steering arms with turnbuckles. I also fitted the front knuckles and found a set of old drive cups that will work on the front :)

2B216D84-0EAD-4EA8-B47B-62F93B0C26B9_zps

68417613-EEEA-4B48-AFAA-4E125873E22F_zps

2305A251-4857-414F-AEA4-26A084283C59_zps

B55A097F-F388-4B76-A67F-9A99F9E121B6_zps

• Like 4

Looking good, are you planning on some extra weight on the back to keep the back wheels planted? 

I meant to add to my earlier comment - i see a JTCC Vectra in the background. I’ve not long bought a shell and decals to make a 1995 John Cleland BTCC replica 

3 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

I meant to add to my earlier comment - i see a JTCC Vectra in the background. I’ve not long bought a shell and decals to make a 1995 John Cleland BTCC replica 

I have got an unpainted Vectra (Cavalier) Body stashed away. My Boss is Jeff Allam so at some point I’ll be having it painted with one of his liveries :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Juls1 said:

The question is how well will it drift at 80km/h? 

Or should that be how well can I drift it at 80km/h :lol:

• Haha 1

After ordering them over a month ago my Tamiya TRF shocks finally arrived :) I was meant to go running tonight but haven’t felt great all day so decided to build these instead. 

CAAE95DC-BF8D-4B27-BE03-E3EA3BFF4159_zps

I love the quality of these aluminium dampers. When you’re building them every piece is just really well made. 

I was just about to fill this one with oil. Excuse the dust on the shock stand!

F6346B23-6BF9-43FA-A486-2FF221127AA1_zps

Here’s the first one, done :)

7AD491E8-79FC-4ADA-932F-4D4FA62C893A_zps

Once they were all built I got them fitted to the chassis. It’s amazing how by adding just the shocks it suddenly looks like a car!

DAC1E933-9C3E-4949-A08A-9C88F2BA1BEB_zps

34E7E2F8-4E9B-40C7-8221-90DF474E3D5A_zps

90CEFB57-6E86-4566-B36A-7841F86C7CC2_zps

EF5802EA-CEB9-4189-BE6D-3C5E04CE74F4_zps

There’s still plenty of bits I need to order but they’re going to have to wait for now. As with all my projects there’s no rush anyway. They’ll be finished when they’re finished :)

• Like 1

Any progress on these build buddy? 

9 hours ago, svenb said:

Any progress on these build buddy? 

Nothing recently. Work has taken over my life in the last few months so I’ve barely had time to scratch my ******* let alone build anything :( 

Once life is back to normal I’ll be back on it though :)