Rickman2k

What motor to get

Will be needing a new motor for my Sand Scorcher pretty soon, I hope, what do I need to get ?

My last one was the 540 Johnson. What's one with some balls ?

[Situation one]:  You don't want to flip the car and crack the beautiful body, but you want a bit more.  Also, don't want to change ESC.  

I'd recommend Tamiya black motor (23 turn).  It says "Sport Tuned."  It's a simple motor swap.  It's faster than the silver can.  My guesstimation is that the black motor gives you about 18,000 rpm, whereas the 27 turn silver can gives you 14,000 rpm.  Speeding up about 20% is not so crazy for the vintage chassis.  Most of my vintage bashers use the black motor or stock motors with advanced timing.  

[Situation two]:  You already have a Lexan body for it, and you want to tear up the beach at rocket speed.  

I'd recommend about 2700-3300kv (20000-24400 rpm at 7.4v) brushless system.  That's about 10,000 rpm faster.  A brushless motor needs its own ESC (unless your ESC is dual purpose).  A brushless motor with an ESC is about $40 USD.  You could get something crazy like 5200kv (38000rpm), but you might end up going home with few screws, 1 tire, some plastic bits and moisture around your eyes (I know I would, because of sand, of course!).  

• Haha 3

I'd go 15t firebolt and a 1060 esc, both for around the same price as just a sport tuned motor with the option to goto 2s or 3s lipo if you so desire. 🏎💨 🙄😀