Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon Gillham

Old servos with new radio gear

I have a number of old servos lying around, Sanwa S102 from memory, the basic ones that came with radio gear BITD.  I have the old radio gear too!

Anyway, I'm trying to get them to work with new radio gear but they don't.  At all.  I tested them a couple of years ago with the old gear and they worked then, but couldn't get the ESC's to work with that.  I have no idea why but it was fixed by buying new servos and new radio gear.

The plugs are an old style which have some ribs on them which don't fit into the rx, but I trimmed the ribs off and they appear to plug in now.

Before I buy a new servo or take one out of a runner, is there any reason why an old servo wouldn't work with modern radio gear powered by an ESC?  Could it just be that the servos have packed up from sitting around for another couple of years?

Old sanwas have a fifferent order to the pins. You must swap them around or buy an adapter cable.

• Like 2

Just now, Yonez said:

Old sanwas have a fifferent order to the pins. You must swap them around or buy an adapter cable.

Great thanks for that.  Don't suppose you know what order they are in and what they need to be swapped to?  I'm assuming the signal cable is the red/black stripe which is in the middle, and black is -ve and red is +ve but who knows...

To be sure, you should post a picture of your servo with the standard connector.

But here are some links to get you started:

https://www.servocity.com/servo-connector-types

http://jacobwatson.com/images/dads images/connectors.pdf

It is quite easy to swap the pins to a new connector if I recall correctly. If you want to order an adapter cable, then remember that Sanwa and Airtronics is the same, and you might have more luck searching for Airtronics.

• Like 2