Sign in to follow this  
DaveB

Madcap Compatible Shocks

Hi

Does anyone know if the Tamiya DT-03 CVA shock kit will suite the Madcap, they appear to be of similar size and fitment? 

Thanks

Hi DaveB,

I think they will fit I bought some alloy 3racing shocks for a DT02 which are the same fit as the DT03 and these fit like a glove on my restored Madcap.

Cheers

Leon

• Like 1

They will fit just fine. There might be a little fiddling with length but nothing a seasoned tamiya rebuilder cannot handle.

Juls

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Yes, agree as well. I actually use the DT03 set on my runner Madcap.

How do they perform? 

Oh, they work fine, like any other CVA shock. They might not be flashy, but CVAs are dependable, functional units. They come with the fixed metal pistons as standard which limits tune-ability to oil wt and spring preload, but I find the metal pistons feel a bit smoother (or maybe its in my head, lol) They come with all the plastic pistons if you want to upgrade the shafts to the e-clip type that accept them. Overall, for the price, they can't be beat.

• Like 1

They work well I find the fixed steel pistons to be quite hit and miss. Some grind the sides of the bore making them pretty terrible and some run quite smooth. The ultimate setup is the proper shafts with the white Teflon pistons. They feel very close to the alloy body units then. Given that a df03 alloy damper set is roughly 3 times the price the dt03 plastic set is still good value.