Baddon

My Vanquish restore

This was the buggy I REALLY wanted back in the day but could not afford ( I know for most it was the Avante but it was just to unrealistic money wise to have been on my wish list). I keep hoping they will re-re it but have been keeping en eye out for one for a long time. Even wrecks seem to go for nearing £200

Well I was admiring a Vanquish a collector in Germany had picked up along with an Avante. Turns out he had no interest in the Vantage and offered it to me at what I though was a very sensible price.  I have spent the last week since I paid for it biting my metaphorical nails, waiting for it to arrive, as I have been caught before with money sent and no car arriving...

This arrived in the post this morning- as you can see I have not even lifted it out of the box and wont till I get it home. The wing was removed for protection so its just sitting there.

This moves to the top of my restore Que now. Don't know about you but I really like the colour. I will need to get fresh boots onto it as they are cracked and very worn. I have a new set of Egress tires if anyone out there is interested in a swap??

Will likely order a TBG shell for BOX art black and MCI decals but for now its a total strip and rebuild with clean. Add a ESC and a sport tuned motor so I can have a little gentle play. Still want a re-re to bash and also will give me a bit of confidence that parts are available without having to rob a bank.

Vanquish.jpg

• Like 7

So here it is in a bit more detail. 

There is a screw missing from the front steering and the battery tray is missing (already on its way to me) and the tires are shot.

As I got it 1As I got it 2As I got it 3As I got it 4As I got it 5As I got it 6As I got it 7As I got it 8As I got it 9As I got it 10As I got it 11As I got it 12As I got it 13As I got it 14pgAs I got it 15As I got it 16As I got it 17

As can be seen this is a dusty out of storage somewhere but should clean up nicely. 

• Like 1

I have sourced a set of new un-used Egress tires.

A battery cover part D which while detached from its part tree is as new. 

I have also downloaded and printed out a manual so I can make sure I don't make (m)any errors when rebuilding.

So until I start stripping it I just need to source that missing screw. I can only imagine its the same as the Avante which Should be plentiful?

Same as Avante and also used in Mchassis. 

• Thanks 1

Wow, it's clean underneath, just what you want with a Vanquish, it's just really dusty, nice score

I picked up a Avante 2001 a while back, you will love how it drives

• Like 1

God it looks like a wreck!!!!! ( As in, I wouldn’t know where to start on that car as I know nowt about them.. wouldn’t have spotted that missing screw for a few weeks!) 

Enjoy the resto, love seeing junks turned back in time ;)

• Like 1

Underside doesn't look too bad, seen far far worse as that plastic chassis tub easily picks up scuffs when run off road.

These are generally pretty bullet proof - the gear diffs are strong, as are the outdrives (evidenced by zero wear on your dogbone cups) 

Nice project ;)

• Thanks 1

I have some original Tamiya Vanquish decals left over from when I built mine back in the 80s if you're interested, including the big 'Away' sticker. Let me know if you're interested, there's not many, but they won't be silly money either as I'd like them to be used on a resto. I've had them for 25 years and never found a use for them ……..

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I have some original Tamiya Vanquish decals left over from when I built mine back in the 80s if you're interested, including the big 'Away' sticker. Let me know if you're interested, there's not many, but they won't be silly money either as I'd like them to be used on a resto. I've had them for 25 years and never found a use for them ……..

Appreciate the offer, however if I go for a repo box art body would want a full set so would get MCI. If you PM me a photo of what you have left I will see if they will sort out this shell when I get a close look if its good enough to keep on it.

2 hours ago, Baddon said:

Appreciate the offer, however if I go for a repo box art body would want a full set so would get MCI. If you PM me a photo of what you have left I will see if they will sort out this shell when I get a close look if its good enough to keep on it.

I'll dig 'em out of spares and get some photos to you in the next couple days :)

• Thanks 1

Bit of a clean up (not much more than a closer inspection and careful rub down of the body with a wet wipe) Have to say I like the colour of this one.

as it arrived with a wipe clean sideas it arrived with a wipe clean top

Body is not to bad just a few of the decals with small area's no longer sticking and the black round cab needs redone.

new boots

Also got these.....not sure.....from Egress? but prefer the original pin-spikes. Anyone be interested in a swap plus a few quid as I know these are less than the pins.

I would be tempted to take the electrics and body off and throw it in the dishwasher on a delicate wash. lol  Last time I did that, she moaned that I wasted a whole wash on one car, so next time I will save them up until there's enough for a full load. lol

17 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I would be tempted to take the electrics and body off and throw it in the dishwasher on a delicate wash. lol  Last time I did that, she moaned that I wasted a whole wash on one car, so next time I will save them up until there's enough for a full load. lol

Now I like that idea. My good lady is a biker and just laughs at the daft things I do. She is the type to put a motorbike on display if she had the right bike.

I had a car that reaked of rank,(Damp, musty, garage/ shed/ smoke smell) the dishwasher had it as fresh as a daisy in no time.

The delicate wash is 40degrees so not hot enough to do any damage to plastics that hasn't been done by age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I had a car that reaked of rank,(Damp, musty, garage/ shed/ smoke smell) the dishwasher had it as fresh as a daisy in no time.

The delicate wash is 40degrees so not hot enough to do any damage to plastics that hasn't been done by age.

do you leave buggy in for drying cycle?

It doesn't have a drying cycle as such, I don't think. It dries through heat/ evaporation I think.

Are you thinking of a washing machine?, they are similar but one is for clothes and the other for cars and parts and dinner plates apparently.

But yes I left it in for the whole cycle.

Just now, wolfdogstinkus said:

It doesn't have a drying cycle as such, I don't think. It dries through heat/ evaporation I think.

Are you thinking of a washing machine?, they are similar but one is for clothes and the other for cars and parts and dinner plates apparently.

But yes I left it in for the whole cycle.

lol, I know I'm a bloke but I DO know the difference and the Dish Washer has a drying cycle at the end, was worried the heat may do damage BUT then again it will get rid of most of the moisture.

Yes, sorry about that, Maybe try it with something less rare first, or maybe just some parts before you throw the whole car in.

look what I found (and sorted and postman delivered!!)

battery cover arrived

I now only need that missing screw.

• Like 2

OK, I have been distracted with a MadCap restore and now its done I must get back to this one.

Parts needed are:-

parts needed

2 Nr battery tray catches, 2Nr BP2 with screws BC2

& 1 Nr BL7 the screw that lets the front wheel carrier turn in the front upright.

parts needed1

IF these are the same parts as on a Avante or an Egress I suspect there may be some out there who can help me with these. They come from 3 seperate screw bags on the Vanquish and with parts hard to find and expensive dont want to have to try and find new old stock parts from the Vanquish.

Even if I can get the part numbers from the Avante that are the same so I can post a wanted add. 

Thanks in advance.

Was this Vanquish coming from eBay Germany? Think I saw it this year announced. All in all very promising condition, when the damper stays are still intact!:)

7 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Was this Vanquish coming from eBay Germany? Think I saw it this year announced. All in all very promising condition, when the damper stays are still intact!:)

No, a private sale from a collector in Germany. He picked it up as a pair with an Avante that he wanted. He already had a Vanquish restored and was happy to pass on to someone who he felt was keen enough to do it up. I had been after one for over a year but was not prepared to pay 200+ for a wreck needing parts that are next to impossible to find.

Since I got this I have seen soooooo many on eBay and prices are more reasonable as I assume the more desperate have not been taken from the demand pool.

Still would love this as a re-re so I could actually run one.

• Like 1

Fully understand you, if you have a good one, it is too precious to run at the moment. I purchased a used one for parts to restore my original, but could´t use too many parts. As my shelfer is nearly complete now, I´m about using the rests of the wreck as a vintage runner. Just building some damper stays in FRP painted black to replace the missing pieces, shouldn´t look too much "carbon style" for me. Chassis is still quite o.k., and my shelfer got a brand new one from Tamico, who had it still in stock about 4 years ago, crazy find. That was the point I realized, that this chassis is too precious to ruin with scratches.:wacko: