Sign in to follow this  
krisby

bank account empty!

Been going a bit nuts lately, only got into Vintage RCs a few months ago when I discovered a mate's collection. I'll post some photos later in the week when my latest two acquisitions arrive.

I already had a King Blackfoot that I ran occasionally, but since the collection begun, I don't go a week without a run of something:

So it began with a vintage Boomerang in May, she was a runner, but the radio has since died, need to source another.

Shortly followed by a Fox in bits, and missing electrics and broken front suspension and broken rear suspension. Since all fixed and she is a nice runner again, though will be an occasional on smooth surfaces, she is a bit delicate now I think.

I followed that up with a Frog, a bit of a mess, needed some replacement parts, and I've got a new body coming as she was painted in orange rather than box art, does not look good.

A bit naughty and got a Wild One, rere though, always wanted one, one to run, so I may get a queen later on.

Next up was a Chevy S10, came as a runner, but on longer suspension arms, so I've turned her back to normal, and have a second chassis I will build up as wide track runner.

Vintage Lunchbox roller arrived in September, yet to put electrics in, but I'm to paint her up first.

Got a vintage Hornet and a spare rere chassis. Both are runners, but will return vintage to stock with a new shell as the old one was butchered and repaired a dozen times. The rere shell I have bought brat wheels for and have a scorcher body coming to make a mutant runner.

I've got a Vintage Clod on its way now too, looks to be mint, though missing decals, so I might return her to original.

Last night won an auction for a vintage Blackfoot too, she looks in good nick, so apart from a some cosmetic issues, she should be good, and will largely be a queen.

In between all that I also acquired an Overland at some  stage, that is most definitely a runner, a real thrasher, I chucked an ESC and 15t motor in, and its good fun, that 2WD makes it a bit tricky at speed, but is interesting comparing my mates Twin Det, in addition to the twin gearboxes it has longer shocks, which I think the overlander would benefit from, but at the speeds the 15T does, I think low is good.

Anyway, I'll get them all out and photographed this weekend. Its getting harder and harder to distract the wife each time a new appears on the shelf.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Oh, boy... A dozen cars!  

You sound as hooked as I was back in 2000.  Many of us have been there.  so... Welcome to the club (and Welcome to Tamiya Club as well)! 

I'm afraid, distraction is not the best of methods.  One must appease his wife with something for her, now and then.  It is vital if you want to enjoy a long RC life.  I often forget that my wife thinks of all my stuff as "junk."  She is liable to toss out everything if I don't balance her into the equation.  I even had to endure seeing the dolphins, first time in my life!  It was windy and cloudy and the boat was doing the rodeo-thing, but she loved seeing the squirmy things (some were babies and how women love baby anything!).  But they didn't have bearings, motors and LiPos, did they?  So, it wasn't as exciting for me.  I wish I had an RC boat, but other watchers would have murdered me and fed bits of me to the baby dolphins if I was childish enough to chase the dolphins with an RC boat. --Ones who were not vomiting, anyway-- 

It's all a part of my on-going scheme to keep my stuff on the good side of her.  I'm sure you are a wonderful husband.  But for those young husbands who didn't think to include his wife into the plans (like I did for a long time), perhaps it's something to think about.  All for a long and happy RC life!  A dozen cars from May is a lot.  Maybe you should take your wife to a concert or something?  (And you can tell her that Tamiya Club guys suggested it, and since they are such nice chaps, she should let you spend more time in RC!  So everybody wins! --except for your wallet, of course... but I'm sure it will replenish soon enough)  

Looking forward to seeing your stuff.  Always good to see vintage cars come back to life!  

• Like 1

yeah know the felling dude:lol:.....been going nuts on the tamiya 1/32's in the last few months..:D...need to slow down....:ph34r:

• Haha 1

My problem started a few years ago. Finding a NIB 58099 Skyline was the start of it. Kinda want an HKS 58120(?) But they are unobtainable it seems.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

Oh, boy... A dozen cars!  

You sound as hooked as I was back in 2000.  Many of us have been there.  so... Welcome to the club (and Welcome to Tamiya Club as well)! 

I'm afraid, distraction is not the best of methods.  One must appease his wife with something for her, now and then.  It is vital if you want to enjoy a long RC life.  I often forget that my wife thinks of all my stuff as "junk."  She is liable to toss out everything if I don't balance her into the equation.  I even had to endure seeing the dolphins, first time in my life!  It was windy and cloudy and the boat was doing the rodeo-thing, but she loved seeing the squirmy things (some were babies and how women love baby anything!).  But they didn't have bearings, motors and LiPos, did they?  So, it wasn't as exciting for me.  I wish I had an RC boat, but other watchers would have murdered me and fed bits of me to the baby dolphins if I was childish enough to chase the dolphins with an RC boat. --Ones who were not vomiting, anyway-- 

It's all a part of my on-going scheme to keep my stuff on the good side of her.  I'm sure you are a wonderful husband.  But for those young husbands who didn't think to include his wife into the plans (like I did for a long time), perhaps it's something to think about.  All for a long and happy RC life!  A dozen cars from May is a lot.  Maybe you should take your wife to a concert or something?  (And you can tell her that Tamiya Club guys suggested it, and since they are such nice chaps, she should let you spend more time in RC!  So everybody wins! --except for your wallet, of course... but I'm sure it will replenish soon enough)  

Looking forward to seeing your stuff.  Always good to see vintage cars come back to life!  

Cheers, she is generally ok with it, just not when she learns the cost, but she likes I have a hobby. I have taken her away 2 weekends out of the last 3, so she's not doing too bad either, and we are seeing Def Leppard next month, and she got a BMW earlier this year, so I'm ok on that front. It just when the rumpus starts looking like a junk yard with pieces of cars dotted around, she used to enjoy riding her exercise bike down there, but now its getting full of cars, she's not so keen on the outlook. 

ooh, Clod Buster on the courier out for delivery....I'm like a child in a sweetshop.

• Haha 1

Yes, men don't care, but women care a lot about "interior design" or "interior decor."  Hardly any RC goes well with that.  

Pffffffff, Women! With their throw cushions and whatnot!

Yeah I know the empty bank acct feeling. Have over spent a bit this last month or so.

A Frog, a Falcon, a Fox and a Hunter (on the way). Four more cars to a collection that really didn't need expanding all that much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I forgot to say a Pajero as well, though that is in bits and needs some serious resto.

Anyway, weekend starts in a few hours, I'll get them out and take some piccies tomorrow.

As well as my two cheaters. I have a WL Toys 12428 and A979 as well, well, technically, the A979 is my daughters, but they are good for a thrash, and surprising people with the A979 that can do close to 50kph stock.

• Like 2

I have around 250 at the moment. My wife gave up a long time ago!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I’m only sitting at about 55 cars. Doesn’t seem to be any loss in momentum, about 1 a month. Bank accounts are not for storing money.. you know that right? 

• Haha 2

Why is it that when the bank is dry, all the cars you want go for cheap?

And when you have cash ready to go, they all go for more than what they're worth....? (or what I'm willing to pay)

I've missed out on 3 cars the last few weeks. (Falcon - bank empty. Org Stadium Blitzer - got side tracked on TC and missed auction end. Org Hotshot - bidding on my phone, cumbersome and slow)

Not sure how many cars I have now, all my Vintage stuff is packed away.

Must be about 50 including my race cars.

Will find out one day when I have the space to unpack everything and consolidate it all in the one spot :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Never got round to taking them all out for a photo session. Tennis and beer and fixing the wifes old Saab got in the way. Sadly the only Tamiya time I had on the weekend was painting the door gaps on the lunchbox, but I seem to have made a hash of it, the paint bleed under the masking is awful, so I'll have to rectify that somehow.

Long weekend in NZ next weekend, so I'll get them out then, and maybe a colour change on the Lunchbox, white to gold, or gunmetal perhaps.

On 10/12/2018 at 1:27 AM, krisby said:

As well as my two cheaters. I have a WL Toys 12428 and A979 as well, well, technically, the A979 is my daughters, but they are good for a thrash, and surprising people with the A979 that can do close to 50kph stock.

You got me looking at WL Toys now and I’ve just added their 10428-A onto my shopping list - cheers!

( it’s a beautiful copy of the Wraith Poison Spyder that I’ve hankered after for ages now, and this 10428 chassis is a copy of a Vaterra Twin Hammers - trying to justify it more to myself now!?)

I’m at about 35-40 cars and need to sell a few to keep it under 40 as I want different styles as my tastes change... always Tamiya though... mostly. ( It doesn’t help they keep bringing out new models either like the Dancing Rider and BuggyRaFox thingy I want too)

for cheap cars, they are quite durable, atleast my 12428 is, they don't handle that well at speed, they are crawlers, but the fact they will do 45kmh is amazing, so for me it is just having a good basher now, a NZ$100 car I can trash the knackers off is great, apart from overlander and king blackfoot, I wouldn't be too rough with me tamiyas.

I have been in the game for quite some time but nowhere the numbers some of you posted. I have become more selective over time of what i want to add to my humble collection. I buy restoration projects but when i feel they don't fit the bill, sell them off again, latest being a vintage Fox, just because i didn't like it. Now looking for quite some time for a WW or WW2 and/or a Sand Scorcher/Rough Rider but i don't want "nearly new" or "mint shape" projects. I want to be able to revive an old beaten down car, like i did with my previous restoration projects.

I know what you mean. Having dashed and bought anything I could initially, I'm trying to be more selective too. 

I too have an old dunger to restore, a Mitsi Pajero, the non metal top, the wheelie machine. Although that will be a long long restore as I don't actually have any interest in it. Also have a Falcon to restore, and I did buy a striker a few months ago, it was a runner, but awful paint job, I was going to strip and repaint but I don't think it will increase its value, so I might just sell it as is.

I did acquire a new car this week, off these forums actually, now got me a TXT-1, not for restore mind, but to bash, it is more fun than I thought a big truck could be. Need to get it down the beach this summer for some fun in the dunes.