BLAZE86DUBZ

new Avante owner here brushless moter setup

hello im new to this site but not to rc  i recently purchased my childhood dream    a tamiya Avante  it should be here any day now  my question is  in all my other rc  equipment i run brushless and a lipo battery  whats the popular brushless setup for this car? its the 2011 version avante   i would like something that fits with no cutting or anything also with the lipo what size fits ? and a really good steering servo as well  ?  any upgrades i need to do ? i would like to get all these items before i start my dream build  any input would be great thanks 

• Like 1

In terms of lipo batteries, the Core RC rounded LiPos sold by Modelsport are a perfect size match for the oldschool NiCad/NiMH batteries around which the Avante was designed back in the day.

I find Speed Passion brushless motors a good fit for chassis designed around brushed setups as the motor and sensor wires exit from the back of the can, rather than the side, making installation a lot easier.

If you are going for a high-end dream build, a really nice Savox Black Edition servo will probably fit the bill. There are a few versions, so pick the one which suits your pocket. All the standard size ones will fit the Avante, and will certainly look the part.

nice thank you  i just got  the package i was waiting for all last week everything looks good now i just need the time to start building is a 10.5 brushless setup to hot for this car? i see it came with a 22 tooth pinion defenitally going to upgrade  that to a steel one should i keep it 22 tooth? this is my dream car so im  defenitally going to get  high end  electronics ide like to hear what other avante owners are running for electronics as well and any upgrades that are needed?

Not an Avante owner, but I agree with @TurnipJF about the Savox servo, specifically the 1258TG.  Its a brilliant servo for the price, really fast, heaps of torque and bulletproof.

I have no idea about what the gearbox can handle so you'll need feedback from others for that.  Wait until you know the motor before choosing the gearing, as you will need a smaller pinion for an 8.5T compared to 10.5T for example.

I take it this will be run but as your dream car you'll be taking good care of it and not driving it to within an inch of its life?  In that case then stick with the brushless gear you already know, theres no point in spending heaps on Tekin or Maclan or Orca etc unless you need every last bit of performance.

Hey

I have been running my 2011 Avante with the TBLE02S , Tamiya 54611, 10.5 Brushless motor and a Yeah Racing 18T Titanium coated 0.6 M Pinion gear. You will need the optional fan for the ESC.  Its super smooth and great on a 2cell. Have had no issues..

I know the Avante is more advanced than the Thunder Dragon (which I own) but on the 17t pinion (final drive ratio 6.7) the 4000kv 10.5 speed passion motor was a bit mad. It depends on what final drive ratio you can achieve with the drivetrain but if you can get around 7 like I do, then I would say the 13.5 MMM speed passion motor will shift the car. I use a hobbywing quicrun BL120 ESC and I can't run any punch or timing as it still gets pretty wild. Avante will handle better for sure but with it being lighter as well you won't need loads of power to get it to really shift.

The Trackstar motors are pretty good bang for buck. I put the motors on par with Speed Passion motors but the Speed Passion ESC is a lot easier to use than Trackstar ESC. 10.5T would be in the 3500kv - 4000kv range

If you see a motor rated in kv and not turns check that it is sensored. Generally unsensored are listed in kv and they aren't as smooth at low speed.

I have had a Hobbywing ezrun system for around 5 years now and it has been amazing.  Very fast, occasional use on 3s but mostly 2s. Great system.

Also got a Castle 4600kv, yes the castle is much nicer quality and has more torque but it is 4pole and the full size 540 can versus the EZRUN 2pole 380 size can.

But the Castle system was 4 x the price.

It is nice to have settings to play with and the hobbywing card does have lots of options. Timing, Boost, brakes, drag brake, reverse %, etc

I would go for minimum 100amp ESC with 3s capability, and 4pole motor in your choice of craziness. or two. one 3000kv for beginners and one 5700kv for crazy.

Yep Hobbywing make great stuff. Their competition motors keep up with the best but cost the same amount, around the USD100 mark. They do the bandit motors which arent ROAR approved and are cheaper. They perform as well if not better than their ROAR legal motors but do this by using components outside of the rules, so a good way to go for bashing.

I would stick to 2 pole motors, they have less torque than 4 pole but you shouldn't need the torque, typically 4 pole are used in short course trucks or 8th scale cars which are a lot bigger than a 10th buggy

i purchased a speed passion  10.5 version 4.0  now i just need to decide what size pinion and what esc to purchase and a steering servo how many ounce torque servo should i get? i want a really good one

17 hours ago, BLAZE86DUBZ said:

Is a100 Amp esc going to fit under the body nicely? 

Not sure on that, sorry. 

19 hours ago, BLAZE86DUBZ said:

Is a100 Amp esc going to fit under the body nicely? 

This all depends on what one you buy. There are LCG escs around which are very small and 100amp, I have the Orca B32. It doesn't have any programmable turbo or boost though. I would get an ESC that can be programmed rather than a blinky one.

11 hours ago, BLAZE86DUBZ said:

i purchased a speed passion  10.5 version 4.0  now i just need to decide what size pinion and what esc to purchase and a steering servo how many ounce torque servo should i get? i want a really good one

Savox 1258TG. I run one in my Lazer ZX6 and its taken 2 seasons of abuse from me, and I bought it secondhand to start with. Really fast, the only thing is you need to adjust the end points so its not trying to turn the wheels further than they can. Before adjusting the EPA I was getting a lot of chassis flex from the servo trying to move too far.

@BLAZE86DUBZ how did all this work out? I'd usually run Speed Passion 13.5T MMM but I'm not at all sure it'd fit in the Avante rere...