Superluminal

Sand scorcher painting advice

Hello, I am going to attempt to paint a sand scorcher body shell as per the box art and the tamiyabase guide. I have primed it with platic primer, wet sanded with 2500 grit wet/dry paper and applied a couple of coats of white paint which has now cured over several days.

Prior to masking off for the blue paint should i wet sand again? On painting previous bodies a single colour i have always wet sanded prior to applying clear coat. However I am worried that if I spray the blue and then wet sand i may contaminate the white paint with the residue from the blue. Is this going to be an issue as i have never painted a multi colour body before? Or should i forget any further sanding and apply clear straight onto the white/blue paint?

Im using halfords car spray paints if that makes any difference.

Wet sand the white only if it needs it. An almost gloss surface will help the tape stick much better and so be less prone to leaks.

If you run your fingers very gently over the surface and it feels smooth, then don't wet sand. If you can feel small bumps like tiny grains of sand or other imperfections

then wet sand as little as you get away with until it feels smooth. Don't let the paper dry out or it will be too abrasive.

As long as both blue and white colours are fully dry, you wont have a problem with the blue contaminating the white. However, do remember that there's a ridge where the colours

join. Don't sand across the ridge or you risk going through to the white underneath, wasting that time you spent masking. Likewise with corners and edges. Stay away from

them to avoid having to mask it all over again.

Halford's spray comes out extremely fast for such a small surface. Easy enough to judge when applying colour, but be very careful with the clear or you'll get runs.

No problem with staying on the safe side and not getting a glossy finish with a wet coat. Just put on several thin coats and then polish to a glossy shine with automotive polish.

I'm looking to start painting one of these soon - I couldn't find a full guide to the painting on this forum - does anyone know if there is one?

I used the one on Tamiyabase

https://tamiyabase.com/articles/54-painting/183-painting-the-sand-scorcher

The guide was brilliant but sadly I screwed up the clear coating and had some bleeds on the bonnet scalops that i couldnt fix to a satisfactory standard so it lives in a box in the loft as im now too cross to look at it considering the hours of preparation and masking.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You can fine wet and dry out the runs in the laquer then polish , It should be saveable if you have enough laquer depth . If it is in a box and you don't want to look at it , then you have nothing to lose

• Like 1