mman2005

Recommendations for replacement No. 1 screwdriver

Hi All,

I purchased a set of Tamiya screwdrivers (74023) about 12 months. I have to say I have been pleased with them and it's very convenient having the sizes I need all I one place.

I have however noticed that the No1 size is starting to look a bit chewed up at the tip. Have any of you guys found this? I have probably used it about two dozen times.

Can anyone recommend a harder replacement that will have the same JIS tip as the Tamiya ones?

Any info/Recommendations will be greatly received. 

Tamiya's  #1 is not useful for M3 screws. But it's made for M2.... so I thought.  

Wiha's #1 Phillips works better.  Yes, "Phillips."  I don't know if German Phillips is supposed to be similar to JIS, but the tip looks almost identical to Tamiya JIS #1.  

Wiha #1 has a skinnier handle, but the tip feels harder, it grips M2 tighter.  I think that's because the tip is ever so slightly less tapered than Tamiya.  It also fits M3 better than Tamiya #1.  Since Wiha #1 works better, I'm not using Tamiya #1 much.  

3yEuwbU.jpg

[Wiha fits M2 screws better than Tamiya #1. Tamiya #1 tip is slightly skinnier]

x1fuTz9.jpg

93AgISo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

Tamiya's  #1 is not useful for M3 screws. But it's made for M2.... so I thought.  

Wiha's #1 Phillips works better.  Yes, "Phillips."  I don't know if German Phillips is supposed to be similar to JIS, but the tip looks almost identical to Tamiya JIS #1.  

Wiha #1 has a skinnier handle, but the tip feels harder, it grips M2 tighter.  I think that's because the tip is ever so slightly less tapered than Tamiya.  It also fits M3 better than Tamiya #1.  Since Wiha #1 works better, I'm not using Tamiya #1 much.  

3yEuwbU.jpg

x1fuTz9.jpg

93AgISo.jpg

Thanks for the info! 

I might give for the softfinish Wiha set as handed are slightly larger.

Two weeks ago I ordered a set of Tamiya Pro screwdrivers 74119 (JIS 2 to 2.6 mm) and 74120 (JIS 3 to 4 mm) from Japan, to complement my Tamiya 74023 toolset.

A more affordable alternative would the the plain plastic handle screwdrivers Tamiya 74006 and 74007. They're occasionally shown in the Ampro Engineering Youtube videos.

Some years ago, I bought JIS screwdriver bits in various sizes (size #0 to #3) from Vessel tools. They are very handy when using them in a powered screwdriver and for repairing Japanese electronics.

What I do not recommend is using JIS drivers on regular Phillips screws. You'll notice that they do not fit the heads as good as a Phillips driver.

Gone for a set of the Wiha 302ZK6SO softfinish. £20 for 5 or about £7 for a single one.

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

3yEuwbU.jpg

x1fuTz9.jpg

93AgISo.jpg

Would you recommend vessel or Wiha?

I have two sizes of Vessel. They are all I use on the Tamiyas. Wihas and Wera (wood handles) both German are also quality though, maybe just not for JIS.

• Thanks 1

Vessel it is. Thanks guys!! At least I know they will fit spot on. One other question, what sizes are the three + head screwwdrivers? 1, 2 and 3?

• Like 1

For RC cars, you'd only need #1 and #2.  

#1 drivers fit M2 screws (like 5 tiny screws on each of Grasshopper wheels--even for these, Tamiya JIS #1 was slightly too pointy, so I tried Wiha). 

#2 drivers are used for M3 screws (which are like 95% of all Tamiya crews.  Vessel #2 is a perfect fit).  

#3 drivers are blunt tipped drivers for M4 or M5 screws that are used on door hinges or something.  Unless you live in Japan, I bet your door hinges don't use JIS screws... :D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Juggular said:

#1 drivers fit M2 screws (like 5 tiny screws on each of Grasshopper wheels--even for these, Tamiya JIS #1 was slightly too pointy, so I tried Wiha). 

#2 drivers are used for M3 screws (which are like 95% of all Tamiya crews.  Vessel #2 is a perfect fit).  

#3 drivers are blunt tipped drivers for M4 or M5 screws that are used on door hinges or something.  Unless you live in Japan, I bet your door hinges don't use JIS screws... :D

Spot on!! Thank you. Now I will buy the correct replacement. :D

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:43 PM, Juggular said:

Hi Juggular. I got my #2 Vessel (model 900) today and the head looks too big. Should i have gone for a 910 model? Would that make a difference? I will check the fit when I get home but I was expecting it to be the same sort of size as the middle one in my Tamiya 74023 set.

• Like 1

#2 does look huge.  I think all #2 including Tamiya is the same size.  It doesn't look "hobby size," does it?  At least Vessel's teeth grips M3 very well (as mentioned, Tamiya #1 just doesn't want to grip M3).  

4mm diameter shaft would be perfectly suited between #1 and #2. But 4mm is a rare non-standard version (and 910 is too long for me).  

• Thanks 1

I have these Tamiya screw drivers they all work really well and very comfortable. For tighter situations the blue Tamiya TRF may not be as good as the grip is small. Nevertheless can’t go wrong with any of them.

06C5A646-69F2-4C53-997B-3EA1A8CCA323.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the 74085 set which is fine but I would like to have a Hex drive set to accompany it hence the above link - and therefore was wondering if anyone has used them.

cheers

G.