Nicadraus

Nicadraus' FF cars

Looking good. It’s a fun car to hopup cause the hole is quite deep! Some of the Tamiya bits are getting harder to find now though. 

2 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Looking good. It’s a fun car to hopup cause the hole is quite deep! Some of the Tamiya bits are getting harder to find now though. 

Yes. Parts are getting had to get now locally but it's nice to see aftermarket parts available online.

So my carbon fiber 2mm board had arrived. Excellent quality for $20 (200mm x 300mm x 2mm). I quickly got my hands on it and started working on something. The extended ESC and servo CF trays. Will work on the rear deck stiffener probably tomorrow if I have extra time.

P1140681.JPG

P1140682.JPG

P1140683.JPG

P1140684.JPG

So I worked on two things. The CF rear deck stiffener and made a CF wire stopper from the motor mount. The wire stopper prevents the wires from moving out and keeps them organized. Sanded the edges of the CF parts with 280 and 800 grits sandpapers. 

P1140692.JPG

P1140693.JPG

P1140695.JPG

P1140696.JPG

P1140697.JPG

P1140694.JPG

P1140704.JPG

P1140705.JPG

• Like 1

I'll be doing the CF rear shock tower once my 5mm board arrives.
Some of you might think why not convert to CF Evo chassis...
This car will be driven mainly for bashing and probably a few tries on the track. Sometimes, it will also be driven to rally set up.

Here she is for the meantime...

P1140699.JPG

P1140700.JPG

P1140703.JPG

• Like 2

Refined the rear deck stiffener. Shaved 0.5mm on the sides and defined the curves to make it look better. I also tapered the sides of the servo support.

P1140710.JPG

P1140711.JPG

P1140716.JPG

P1140712.JPG

P1140714.JPG

• Like 8

WIP:

My 5mm CF board arrived today. My plan was to use it for the rear shock tower. But it's just way too thick and I decided to use a 3mm instead which is in order now. For the meantime, I made a mock shock tower from the 2mm board just to see. I patterned the measurements (height x width) including holes placement (but only put 2 holes for the ball screw slots) from the original plastic tower.

P1140717.JPG

P1140718.JPG

• Like 3

Update: 

While my 3mm is in order, I made another tower support using the 2mm board. It turned out nice and no flexing. But I will still replace this once the 3mm board arrives. I also made a rear body post stiffener.

P1140728.JPG

P1140730.JPG

P1140732.JPG

P1140729.JPG

• Like 3

It's been a while. Some updates on my slowwww build...

Rubber sealed bearings

3 Racing rear shock tower with aluminum mount and FF03 aluminum bumper mount

P1140751.JPG

P1140753.JPG

P1140756.JPG

P1140757.JPG

P1140774.JPG

• Like 1

Aluminum bumper mount and rear shock tower with aluminum mount installed...

P1140834.JPG

P1140823.JPG

P1140819.JPG

Love your homemade parts, your skills with Carbonfibre are excellent!

So, no homemade shock tower for the rear now, did I get it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Love your homemade parts, your skills with Carbonfibre are excellent!

So, no homemade shock tower for the rear now, did I get it?

I made a temporary CF rear shock tower and was suppose to make another using a 3mm CF board. But I couldn't resist the aluminum mount for the rear shock tower which comes with a 3mm CF. So It saved me from creating a template, cutting, shaping and sanding. So far, I have almost completed the CF parts I wanted for the FF03. I'll probably make some custom CF parts for my FF01 instead.

• Like 1

Current state. Just a few more parts then this baby will be ready to run.

P1150174.thumb.JPG.0b417f79889be181ec077f7fb0bd7452.JPG

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Very nice.

Really the best Tamiya chassis I had ever. 

Thanks! I'm really excited to test this one out really soon. I've ordered TX/RX, and batteries already. Should be here in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Maybe I have overseen... but what kind of setup do you run?

motor esc and pinion choice? I got with mine a 45/85T combination in 48P. with a 4700kV motor. it is stupid fast :D 

That rear shock tower is looking all sick and plastic like...  

great car the ff03, just oozes that it’s something different.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Juls1 said:

That rear shock tower is looking all sick and plastic like...  

great car the ff03, just oozes that it’s something different.

Thanks!

After exactly 6 months of finding and waiting for parts, electronics, custom modifications and build since I purchased this kit, it's finally a runner. Although I'm still waiting for the aluminum front suspension mount and front/rear stabilizers. But tested it today out in our street and it's running nice and smooth and fast. I still have to set the ESC on the program box.

P1150217.thumb.JPG.dcb9ff7351dcb8ea608e1a5167cbdfd4.JPG

• Like 4

Set up and tuned the ESC's boost, turbo and brake using a progbox and pc software. Tested the car today outside with three different timing settings. So I finally got what I wanted. So happy with this car and drives great. Acceleration and braking is very good. The boost and turbo is just overwhelming. :) 

P1150314.thumb.JPG.b8d5ab4f14d81bd5d3e1e7b69b6c4601.JPG

P1150319.thumb.JPG.8c8fdcb10b4297f7d61cb65bd27dc229.JPG

Now all I need is to borrow my friend's set up board for track testing soon.

P1150303.thumb.JPG.69803c47eb9f50e91792e0eef2b24aaf.JPG

• Like 1

I've followed this build simce you started and am impressed, particularly with the custom carbon fibre bits. Where do you buy your carbon fibre from? I have a 3mm board for some shock towers but want some bigger thinner boards and it gets pricey quickly.

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I've followed this build simce you started and am impressed, particularly with the custom carbon fibre bits. Where do you buy your carbon fibre from? I have a 3mm board for some shock towers but want some bigger thinner boards and it gets pricey quickly.

Thanks for the appreciation. I've ordered mine thru a local online shop that ships items from abroad (China). I got both 2mm &3mm in thickness 200mm x 300mm. I also got a 5mm 150mm x 100mm just in case. 1mm, 1.5mm, 2.5mm, 4mm boards are also available.

Here's a link (not sure if it's available outside Asia.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=carbon+fiber+board&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4l.searchlist.search.go.11a622badox0aT

• Like 1

Bought a used FF-03R kit with unused carbon reinforced chassis plus 2 extra stock chassis. The kit also comes with full carbon reinforced parts (suspension arms, knuckles, uprights, gearbox, CF deck stiffener, CF rear shock tower, CF battery holder,etc.

JT9mm4Mh.jpg

So I replaced all stock plastic parts of my kit. I also replaced stock dog bone shafts to double-cardan joints, gear differential (and housing), and front stabilizer, all of which also came with the kit.

wK71I3Nh.jpg

CyD8Xb1h.jpg

M6PuPyuh.jpg

No more flexing of the chassis and is now very stiff.

TuDSd1gh.jpg

The Pro has now become an R and more. :)

• Like 2