Sign in to follow this  
Yalson

Kyosho number scheme.

I have started this as a new topic after bringing it up on @Klausen's lovely Optima Mid thread.

Does anyone know if there is a significance to the numbers given to Kyosho cars in their standard decal sets?

Just checked the MCI website and it seems Kyosho (more or less) followed this scheme:

2WD electric: 1xx

4WD electric: 2xx

Nitro cars: 3xx

Within this scheme, it seems cars may have been given numbers in the sequence they were released, so a car released in 1989 would have a lower number than one released in 1992. I can't prove this, though, as my knowledge of release dates for some cars is skectchy.

However, some don't fit into this scheme at all. The Rocky was a 4WD car but was numbered 103, while the Turbo Raider (207) and the Turbo Ultima (223) both had 4WD sequence numbers. Cars with scale decals obviously didn't have numbers in the sequence either, while some had full sets that owners could pick their own numbers from. 219 also seems for some reason to have been used twice – on the original Optima Mid and the Shadow 4WD.

Did they represent project numbers from the factory, product order numbers or some other sequence altogether? Or were they simply allocated by the decal designers with no more thought given to them than what looked nice in Kyosho's handsome number font?

If anyone has any other anomalies in the system then by all means point them out. I looked through the MCI decals sets and I must confess there were some cars there I had never even heard of before and have no idea what sort of drivetrain they use, so they may not fit at all and my idea of there being a system may turn out to be total guff.