speedy_w_beans

Invitation to Vote for Some Build Threads

I'm in a relatively happy place where my RC fleet is concerned; now that the "team build" Amarok is on its way back to Scollins I'm looking through my project pile and thinking about what to work on next.  There are two remaining old projects, and honestly I don't feel like dealing with them right now.  Maybe they'll get some love this winter.  In the meantime there are a number of new projects asking for attention.  If any of you in the community are interested in the following, feel free to speak up and after a few days of feedback I'll throw the top 2 or 3 in the queue for future build threads.

The "Right Brain Series":  More Form Than Function

• TT02 Civic VX:  My first car after university!  In 1994 my '85 Toyota Tercel bit the dust and I replaced it with a Civic VX; it had a lean-burn engine that once gave me 63 mpg round-trip from Tennessee to Ohio.  It usually gave me 40+ mpg around the city and 50+ mpg on the highway, but on that one trip I babied it over the rolling hills and kept my foot rock-steady on the accelerator pedal.  I still have reference photos from selling it; the goal of this build is to recreate the car in scale as accurately as possible.  Taking the Civic SiR EG6 shell from a TT02D kit, marrying it to a base TT02 chassis from a Subaru Impreza Monte Carlo '99 kit, and paying extra attention to body details I hope to get something like this (but with side molding and mud flaps):

1994-honda-civic.jpg

• TT01E MAN TGS Truck:  I was so happy to see Tamiya bring Euro racing trucks to market as something fresh for their catalog!  In addition to buying the kit I also bought one of Yeah Racing's TT01E Aluminum Conversion Set in orange.  I'd like to do something custom with the paint job and lighting to complement the bling of the conversion set.  I have a bunch of fiber optic material lying around, so there's that.  Something inspired by this:

f5e9293bedff2fd3183924e7c5c7b63a.jpg

• RM01 Lancia Stratos:  The idea of a pan car M chassis has been eating at me for years, and I have a RM01 Tom's 84C kit and a HPI Lancia Stratos shell to take full advantage of it:

a2rktbI.jpg

• F104GT Concept + Gotecki 45 Nismo Body:  I finished the F103GT Nissan GTR LM Nismo a little while ago, and I've always wondered what it would be like if Tamiya made a follow-on F104GT.  The idea behind this build is to extrapolate a little bit and imagine "what if" for the chassis, and top it with a GTR LM shell inspired by the video game franchise "WipeOut."  The big front fenders and center cockpit pull it together for me.

GOTEKI_07_1280.jpg

1200px-Nissan_Motorsports_-_Nissan_GT-R_

The "Left Brain" Series:  More Function Than Form

• FF03 / M05 Honda CR-Z "Twins":  Though I've built TB03 and TA05V2 chassis before, I haven't built a FF03 yet.  TamiyaUSA had a FF03 Honda CR-Z on special for $100, so I bought one.  Then for some reason I thought it would be clever and buy an ABC Hobby CR-Z shell for the M05 and make the two matching.  Anyhow, the project involves building one chassis and painting two shells, and to make both of them as fast as possible.

top.jpg 

photo01.jpg

• TB03 ARTA Garaiya:  I built the Takata NSX and Motul Nismo GTR seven years ago, and haven't built a fresh TB03 since.  Like the FF03 and M05, I just want to make this one go as fast as possible.

ARTA_Garaiya_2005.jpg

• DN01 Zahhak:  Not much to say on this one; I have a few minor upgrades ready for it and intentions to do something different with the paint job.

top.jpg

That's about it for now.  Let me know what interests you!

• Like 3

I'm in the process of setting up an FF03 right now. It's nice to know that this chassis, even if it's older, still have parts available because it shares with different modern chassis too like the TA05/TA06, TB03/TB04, XV01, TRF416/417. Plus the aftermarket parts from Yeah Racing & 3Racing.

TT02 Civic, it’s got the most meaning for you so it might give you the most joy per progress ;) ( and I like that shell too) 

Right brain vote: MAN TGS with fiber optics

Left brain vote: TB-03 Arta Garaiya with go faster goodies

Stratos, really got my attention with the mention of the Wipeout theme 🙂. Loved that game 👍🏻 

Maybe take it to another step further and put the body on a quadcopter drone chassis so it actually hovers 🤔

Second would be the TB03 ARTA Garaiya, 

Feel the need, the need for speeeeeed.

Third would be the MAN Truck. 

I’ve always liked trucks, and used to watch them racing at Brands Hatch in my youth with a Truck nut mate. I do like Tamiya’s Truck kits and seeing what people do with them, but I get to play in a 1:1 for a day job so I get my fix there. 

Happy building though in what ever you decide on. 

The Stratos claims the early lead with 6 votes!  2 votes for the MAN TGS, 1 vote for the Civic, 1 vote for the ARTA Garaiya, and 1 vote for the CR-Z twins.  No love for the F104GT or the DN01.

13 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

I just got a ff03 pro from a trade would like to see the ff03 m05 builds. Will you be changing the diff to gears ?

I bought some TRF201 metal diff halves, TRF201 reinforced gears, and tungsten carbide diff balls to try to fortify the ball diff.  Some silicone faucet grease will also get used as it's stickier and thicker than standard ball diff grease.  The original TRF201 kit (42167) came with white FF03 gears that weren't up to the task.  Tamiya later released black reinforced gears for the TRF201 that also found their way into the DN01 Zahhak kit.  So, I'm taking a little gamble and thinking the TRF201 metal diff halves might fit in the FF03 gearbox.

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Stratos, really got my attention with the mention of the Wipeout theme 🙂. Loved that game 👍🏻 

Ah, sorry, the WipeOut theme is meant for the GTR LM Nismo shell.

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Civic body on FF03. Now that's appropriate. :D

Yep, I have kit 58467 FF03 Castrol Honda Civic VTi in my stockpile and saved for a distant future build.  Right now the planned TT02 base chassis is meant to be a body holder more than anything.  No, I don't think I'll cut body post holes in this one as I will likely move the body somewhere else in the future.

15 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

• F104GT Concept + Gotecki 45 Nismo Body:  I finished the F103GT Nissan GTR LM Nismo a little while ago, and I've always wondered what it would be like if Tamiya made a follow-on F104GT.  The idea behind this build is to extrapolate a little bit and imagine "what if" for the chassis, and top it with a GTR LM shell inspired by the video game franchise "WipeOut."  The big front fenders and center cockpit pull it together for me.

GOTEKI_07_1280.jpg

That's about it for now.  Let me know what interests you!

This!

10 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Ah, sorry, the WipeOut theme is meant for the GTR LM Nismo shell.

Yeah sorry about that, my wife started talking to me while I was reading and typing and the Stratos / WipeOut theme then merged together in my head!!

Can't for the life of me remember what she was talking about now?

Anywho that would put the WipeOut project as 2nd choice ;)

Thanks everyone for your input!  Looks like the Stratos wins followed by the MAN TGS, and then it's whatever I feel like doing.  I'll start a build thread shortly.  :)

• Like 1

My vote is also for Stratos! 

But hardly any shell has the right curvature that makes the Stratos so sexy.  Does yours have it?  

l6T2axC.jpg