speedy_w_beans

Speedy's RM01 Lancia Stratos Build Thread

A small update for Friday night...

After a few days of soaking the chrome parts in bleach I switched to Easy-Off oven cleaner.  Wow, they were fully stripped in 30 minutes and the plastic is so smooth and shiny I don't even think they need paint!  I'll touch up a few spots with a file and call them good.

IMG_3366.JPG

I washed the Pit Shimizu tires with regular dish soap; all that mold release came right off and these are some very supple tires.  I'm looking forward to driving on them soon.

IMG_3367.JPG

All the axle stub tips got dabs of silver paint...

IMG_3365.JPG

Finally, the wheels and lock nuts are painted.  The wheels were masked and both sides were shot with black automotive vinyl/fabric paint as a primer/base coat.  Then I hand-painted the fronts.  As far as the nuts are concerned, it seemed pretty silly to paint gold over gold anodizing, so I found some generic silver nuts and painted them instead.  They're not 100% accurate to the 1:1 wheels, but they'll do.  @VagabondStarJXF has some accurate wheels printed for his M04 Stratos and they look great; be sure to check them out here.

IMG_3368.JPG

It's supposed to rain the second half of Saturday, so with the painting finished that might be a good time to assemble and decal everything.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@VagabondStarJXF has some accurate wheels printed for his M04 Stratos and they look great; 

I know you've just got your wheels done but, if you like the ones on my Stratos, you can still get yourself a set via Shapeways. Various offsets are available too. 

• Like 1

Well, I spent a good chunk of Saturday afternoon and evening working on this body, and I have to say a big "THANK YOU" to all of you who pushed for red/black/gold on the previous page.  @Yalson is right; the Stratos looks amazing in any color, but as I worked through the decals, the line tape, the mirrors and wiper, the wheels and tires, and finally the rear end assembly I started smiling more and more.  Normally when I finish a body I get hypercritical and it takes a few days for me to be happy with it.  That's not happening this time -- I'm very happy with the outcome.  There's no doubt this is the killer color combo for this vehicle.  Even the wheel nuts aren't leaving any axle threads exposed.  Here's a teaser, I'm super motivated to finish those body mounts now and get some proper gaps in the wheel arches!  :wub:

IMG_3375.JPG

• Like 16

This should be sold as a kit! Is all I am thinking. 

Very good looking Lancia. The gold rims with black details just make the perfect touch.

• Like 2

What a result, better than I could imagine. Topwork! Curious About the final stance. Maybe you do not dare to drive it now anymore to test the new tires!:D

• Like 1

Ok, this is it.  This project is now "finito!"

Sunday I printed some body mounts, added aluminum tape to the body, installed the Velcro, and set and locked the body height.  Of course it was raining again, and by the time I was ready to take pictures it was also dark.

So, here's the last batch of pictures on this project.

The body slopes about 15 degrees near the front nose, and about 5 degrees near the door handles.

RM01_Body_Mounts.jpg

Final chassis pictures with custom bumper mount, body mounts, front suspension, servo mounts, BEC box, battery tray, axle spacers, and wheel hexes with dual-servo steering and gyro.

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3399.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG

Final body preparations with aluminum tape and Velcro.  I put the "hook" side of the Velcro on the body since it seems like the "loop" side wears out first.  I'd rather replace the "loop" material on the body mounts than risk the paint.

IMG_3395.JPG

The final glamour shots...

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

Thanks for following and sharing your thoughts along the way!  I hope you were all entertained!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Top Job Speedy, and very spectacular build. Like your custom bumper brace with the Logo. But the red Italian stallion just looks so cool, I´d really like to drive it!:D

Keep on the good work,

Matthias

• Like 1

Hang on... where are the flip up headlights??? ;)   half finished job or what...

What a spectacular build and build thread.  Well done @speedy_w_beans, exceptional. Love the execution, the detail, the creativity, the custom parts. Magnificent. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

IMG_3389.JPG

That licence plate... TO, Torino, my city.

Max

• Like 2

10 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Most definitely entertained but where is the driving video???

Consolation prize:

7 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Hang on... where are the flip up headlights??? ;)   half finished job or what...

You know, I thought about it when I first started trimming the body.  The benefit didn't seem to be there compared to the complexity and weight of LED lighting, a servo, and some custom light buckets.  It could have extended the project another few weeks, and I wasn't up for it.  Builder's perogative!

1 hour ago, kontemax said:

That licence plate... TO, Torino, my city.

I was wondering about that.  I visited Torino once, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, on a visit to Magneti Marelli for business.

7 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

this is a great rear view, I can see the motor! Scale weight distribution? :)

1:1 Stratos:  46% front / 54% rear ( reference here )

RM01 Stratos: 46% front / 54% rear (per previous page)

Just by chance the model is close to the real car...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks great Paul,, thanks for the heads up that this was completed,,,I have been really bad about getting on the forums,,, no time lately-- for years!! lol. I really am interested in the gyro steering system,, I have never driven an RC car with a setup like this.... Nice work on the hidden body mounts too! When can I place my order for custom body mounts?? :lol:

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 3:42 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

Consolation prize:

That does sound lovely, doesn't it? The Ferrari V6 is growly, but not uncouth like a modern rally car, presumably because it is so much better balanced. You get none of the spit and pop on the overrun like you do with modern turbo inline 4s (or turbo flat 4s if it's a Subaru) and obviously none of the "shh-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu" wastegate noise.

• Like 2

Excellent build. Glad you fgound some nice wheels, and going with stealth mounts definitely did a lot.

• Like 1

Have to say, what an awesome build. I am in head over heels in your project. Love it. 

Is it not possible to 3D print a longer chassis plate to accommodate the longer wheelbase using RM01 uprights? Or will a 3D print chassis be too fragile, say in a crash?

Oh, and what material have being used to make the parts?

Edited by GreatDane
Added a question about what material used.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GreatDane said:

Have to say, what an awesome build. I am in head over heels in your project. Love it. 

Is it not possible to 3D print a longer chassis plate to accommodate the longer wheelbase using RM01 uprights? Or will a 3D print chassis be too fragile, say in a crash?

Oh, and what material have being used to make the parts?

Thanks!

A lot of things are possible, but I suppose my build went the way it did due to the tools and materials I had on hand.

• My 3D printer has a build volume of 150 mm x 150 mm x 150 mm, so the machine can't make a long plate as a single part.
  • Experiences in 3D printing so far have taught me that long flat parts tend to have some warp in them; I can never get them 100% perfectly flat.
  • The material itself would likely have more flex than FRP unless I printed more of a tub chassis with reinforcing ribs.  Even if I had a machine with more build volume, and the machine made dimensionally perfect parts, the material itself would not be comparable to FRP.  Some design changes would be needed to compensate.

I'm using PLA for my prints.  It's strong enough for what I want to do, and it doesn't create toxic fumes like ABS and some other filaments.  The machine can be printing parts while I sit next to it and do other parts of the build or work on other designs.

I have to give a lot of credit to one of my former coworkers; he got into 3D printing when it was still an emerging hobby about 5 or 6 years ago.  Through his trial and error of building different machines, trying different materials, and treating prints with chemicals he blazed a bit of a trail for me.  When I started the design tools, slicers, and machine firmware were relatively mature already.

@speedy. Thank you for the thorough reply. I am new to 3D prints as well as designing parts. I understand you use FreeCAD? I see endless possibilities of making small parts for my many projects. 

• Like 1

@speedy_w_beans

If you enclose your printer, allot of warpage and layer separation will go away. Check the prusa page for plans and files.

Not so helpful with pla but I have had good luck withprinting strong parts from polycarbonate filament lately.

Question, what pen did you use for panel lines? I haven't found one that is "great" yet.

• Like 1