speedy_w_beans

Speedy's RM01 Lancia Stratos Build Thread

21 hours ago, GreatDane said:

@speedy. Thank you for the thorough reply. I am new to 3D prints as well as designing parts. I understand you use FreeCAD? I see endless possibilities of making small parts for my many projects. 

Yes, I use FreeCAD for designing and Slic3r for generating the g-code for driving the printer.  My overall flow is FreeCAD -> STL file export -> Slic3r -> g-code output file -> SD memory card -> 3D printer.  My previous printer had Marlin firmware; the current one has Repetier firmware.  I don't see a meaningful difference between the two.

5 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

@speedy_w_beans Please check your PM's. :)

@Kingfisher I just did and didn't see anything; did you send me something?

3 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

@speedy_w_beans

If you enclose your printer, allot of warpage and layer separation will go away. Check the prusa page for plans and files.

Not so helpful with pla but I have had good luck withprinting strong parts from polycarbonate filament lately.

Question, what pen did you use for panel lines? I haven't found one that is "great" yet.

Thanks for the tip; I'll check it out.

I don't use a pen for exactly that reason.  I've tried a few fine-tip Sharpie-style pens and the results are generally inconsistent.  I've been using ABC Hobby fine line tape (0.3 mm width) on some projects like the Stratos, a WRX, and the Amarok Scollins and I were doing together.  Working with the tape requires not pulling on it much; otherwise it stretches and will want to lift later.  It also works best in molded panel gaps; free-form use is more challenging.

img37537_1016201675442_1.jpg

IMG_2795.JPG

• Like 1

@speedy: Thanks :-)

I also use 0.3 mm ABC Hobby tape. But from the inside. The lexan paint holds down the tape. But I admit, if you are going to do a multiple paint scheme, it will be a challenge. Up til now, I have only done one color liveries.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@Kingfisher I just did and didn't see anything; did you send me something?

Weird, I still see it in the string of messages. But, yes. I did send you something. You should be receiving it any day now through USPS. I'll try PM'ing again. 

• Like 1

Question to Speedy: Did you purchase the HPI Lancia Body set recently, or did you have it for longer?

I was thinking to order one too, but nowadays it´s everywhere out of stock.

Anyone have a seller, where it is still available?:unsure:

Should have bought one last year, seems I waited too Long...

• Like 1

I bought my body set maybe a year or year and a half ago.  It was right around the time HPI was closing in California and NIP ones were on eBay for $35.  HPI P/N 7214.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

The crowd has spoken and demands a RM01 Lancia Stratos!  (Build Thread Vote)

The goal:  A simple, low-CG, pan-style, M-compliant RM01 chassis underpinning a detailed low-nose Lancia Stratos shell from HPI.

The assets:  A fresh RM01 Tom's 84C kit, a fresh Lancia Stratos shell, some wheel and tire options, and the option to try F103GT front knuckles and axles in place of RM01 axle stubs.

IMG_3189.JPG

Also, it helps to have a RM01 Mazda 787B already built for measurements and test fits of parts modifications.  :D

IMG_3192.JPG

Will you be entertained?!?!

so like ya know speedy, came home early just to shop for parts on a Pan i purchased last night and searchn' for wheels and learning the compounds and what pop's up this thread, Simply Amazing!. so this story does have an ending (or does it):lol: so i'm like into the first Peter Pan(remember that kid that never grew up?) 1/12 car moment i've been wanting to do, so finally carried out my minds orders. Tamiya 1/12  kits like the one shown above and the Newman are scarce but went ahead and ordered the body pictured above (That neat Mazda) i hope it fits the CRC i ordered if not no worries. i like that Mazda too much, reminds me of several slot cars i have, i believe it wheel fit (get it.... will:huh::)) well i must finish my studies on these small rockets.

• Like 1

@ACCEL, yeah the story pretty much ended on page 4 of this thread.  I have a few thoughts about simplifying the steering, but that's for another time.  Did you get a CK25?  I have one of the earlier versions with the "altered ego" chassis set.

• Thanks 1

That's Thanx for your reply. speedy ol' boy,

i'm going to hijack your thread with one picture of those style racing cars(Group C) with your permission of course, dig the Le mans with the variety of race cars(how many Pan's can Accel Build? that's what this addiction does to me (and glad for it) once you have built one of the numerous RC any type of vehicle, it's very hard not to want to build something else. it's like a journey, a ride through the country side, hiking, or even a great video game, you just can not wait to see what's coming on the other side.some people will say "What vehicle would you choose if you could only have one"? i can't stand that, that's like saying what pet would you keep if you had more than, or which one of your children would you save (if you had more than one),

Boulder Dash! until a situation arises you really won't know until it actually happens, that all said now think'n on it it's to help keep my mind sharp and intuitive, let's face it at least for me (and trust me i have way more i do through out the day than RC, but late night and early AM's i'm fargin build'n.

anyways once again this thread has gottn' me Panned Up'd

How many builds does it take to get to the center of the winners circle? a one...... ..............a two................. a three............................................................CRUNCH!

23 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

@ACCEL, yeah the story pretty much ended on page 4 of this thread.  I have a few thoughts about simplifying the steering, but that's for another time.  Did you get a CK25?  I have one of the earlier versions with the "altered ego" chassis set.

oh yeah, CRC Twenty5 "CK25" Carpet Knife, i was going for the 2020 XRAY but it's not in stock , and i've known about CRC for a very long time with selling VBC (they had many parts for my Wild Fire when it first debut and support and parts were every where and they have been at their game a very long time. through Amain 7 cars only, truthfully i always liked Shuy's but over here parts are timely and sometimes difficult to get, maybe i'll purchase two they're small:lol: