Sign in to follow this  
loaba

USGT 21.5

Raced the Yokomo BD8 for the first time on Saturday. Didn't win and that's okay - I really like 4wd! This is by the far the easiest class I've ever driven. We're racing ozite(sp?)/black carpet and the grip is phenomenal.

I don't know if it's because I'm not new to racing or because it's the car or the class, but thing is **** near point-and-click. I am really enjoying the car right now.

• Like 1

So been at it for a few weeks now and I'm still slow, but times are going down. Fast guys (17.5, sponsored etc.) are doing the loop in mid 8's. The fast 21.5 guys are getting mid 10's and high 9's and I'm inching my way down with mid-12's. Like I said, the numbers don't lie - I am slow!

Anyway - car is still a blast. It's well-planted and I've got tuned for me now.

Edit: this is by no means a Yokomo commercial - however, I do hit the wall now and again and this car has proven to be extremely durable!

Here's the beast.

21-5_BD8_crop.png

• Like 1

I know that feeling, being the slow guy!

Does that motor have adjustable endbell timing? If it doesn't, and you are allowed it by the class rules, that will really be limiting you, you will be giving up a lot of speed...the new crop of top end motors are a huge step up over the older stuff, they can just drive around you. I have a Trinity Monster Max 21.5T which is 3150kv, haven't run it yet, need to swap it before the next meet. I also switched from a Trackstar V1 17.5T in my 4wd buggy to an Orca Blitreme and can now clear all the doubles at my offroad club, when previously I could only clear one of them. I'm slower though as I need to relearn thr track with all the extra power.

Jonathon (good name, I spell mine Jonathan) - anyway - track requires Hobbywing 3650 21.5t motor (no timing adjustment) for USGT. I have zero-issue with it and we're starting to get a good field now. 10 guys have these cars/motors, just need 'em to show up. I would love to see less "RC" type paint schemes and more historical racing liveries, but in the end I'll just settle for guys showing up to race.

/ started out with off-road - totally converted to carpet on-road now.

2 hours ago, loaba said:

Jonathon (good name, I spell mine Jonathan) - anyway - track requires Hobbywing 3650 21.5t motor (no timing adjustment) for USGT. I have zero-issue with it and we're starting to get a good field now. 10 guys have these cars/motors, just need 'em to show up. I would love to see less "RC" type paint schemes and more historical racing liveries, but in the end I'll just settle for guys showing up to race.

/ started out with off-road - totally converted to carpet on-road now.

That would make for some good racing. Here we don't have USGT or VTA, just stock, super stock and mod and the stock classes are motor wars.

I totally agree with the rc paint schemes, they have almost becone generic here, and its the same across all classes - bubbly aero bodies with flame type paint. There are some cool Group C bodies areoun for pan cars but onky 1 or 2 use them. I wish we adopted a class like you're running

Our class rules are the motor (like I said above), 190mm body that needs to actually look like some kind of production car (more or less) and USGT tires (what's on the car above). ESC is blinky mode, of course. Makes for really close racing and no one can pass on the straights (usually). All the "racing" is done in the corners, trying to set up for the pass.

A lot of the 17.5 buggy guys were thinking about transitioning from outdoor/off-road to indoor/on-road, but balked at running a slow 21.5 motor. Far as I can tell, these things are stupid fast and the 17.5 TC's are faster still!

/I am absolutely loving the lack of motor wars

// on-road is where it's at!

22 minutes ago, loaba said:

Our class rules are the motor (like I said above), 190mm body that needs to actually look like some kind of production car (more or less) and USGT tires (what's on the car above). ESC is blinky mode, of course. Makes for really close racing and no one can pass on the straights (usually). All the "racing" is done in the corners, trying to set up for the pass.

A lot of the 17.5 buggy guys were thinking about transitioning from outdoor/off-road to indoor/on-road, but balked at running a slow 21.5 motor. Far as I can tell, these things are stupid fast and the 17.5 TC's are faster still!

/I am absolutely loving the lack of motor wars

// on-road is where it's at!

I belong to both onroad and offroad clubs and have 10th 17.5T buggies, 21.5T TC, F1 and a nitro 8th buggy. My offroad club is just a nicer, friendlier club and I much prefer the vibe there than the onroad club. As for the racing I enjoy both classes, and am pretty sure my TC is the fastest of the 10th cars. F1 would be in a straight line but being a pancar you can't put the power down easily so its slower than the TC.

I would convert my TC to that kind of class in a heartbeat, and hope that the serious guys don't try to dominate the slow class, they can stay with their motor wars!

It's funny that mentioned vibe - for me it's been quite the opposite. The off-road guys, well the fast ones anyway, were quite cliquish. The on-road guys, fast and slow alike, have all been very helpful. To be fair, off-road is very well established here and on-road is on the process of being reborn.

Back to the car/class... How often to do your put your cars on the set-up station?

I need a set-up board and droop blocks. Kind of held off as some of this stuff can be quite cost prohibitive!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protoform-pfm10-body-clear-190mm-prm1542-30/p437879

Here's the new shell - it's less "blob" and kinda looks like a real car... Still, it's not what I really want.

10 hours ago, loaba said:

It's funny that mentioned vibe - for me it's been quite the opposite. The off-road guys, well the fast ones anyway, were quite cliquish. The on-road guys, fast and slow alike, have all been very helpful. To be fair, off-road is very well established here and on-road is on the process of being reborn.

Back to the car/class... How often to do your put your cars on the set-up station?

I need a set-up board and droop blocks. Kind of held off as some of this stuff can be quite cost prohibitive!

I dont have a setup station. I have camber, ride height and droop gauges but thats it. I usually check the cars over before the meet and reset ride height and droop if they have changed. Also check camber (usually with the eye tool) and check measurements of turnbuckles compared to the manual. The touring car changes a lot but the F1 and buggies are always about right.

There are a few people at the club who I ask about stuff and usually get their advice on things like how tight the ball diff is. They usually have gear like setup stations and corner weights so the TC ends up on them from time to time.

Smurf one-shot #2 is in the books and it's much better than the first go-round. I painted the wing (big no-no in the off-road world) and applied stickers! Thing looks like a car now.

DSC_0448.JPG

On 11/8/2018 at 5:12 AM, loaba said:

I painted the wing (big no-no in the off-road world)

Nice shell, my friend!

I never understood the thing about not painting the wing on off-roaders. I understand that they frequently get broken, as they're not very strong and tend to be vulnerable when the car rolls, but leaving them clear looks awful. Especially as I imagine the same people who refused to paint their wings still dilligently covered the things with stickers.