Sign in to follow this  
loaba

PC Audio

In my quest for decent, but not budget-breaking, PC audio I've learned a thing or two.

1. Generally speaking, when you're sitting at the 'puter, that's near-field listening. As such, smaller speakers are fine and 2-channel audio is really all you need.

2. Because smaller speakers provide less bass, subs are really nice if you just have to have that authoritative bass thump.

3. Speakers stands are a must and, at the very least, you need to **** the speakers up (if they're flat on your desk.)

4. External DAC amps are simply awesome.

I used to make due with whatever surround sound receiver was laying about and not otherwise in use. Also, I simply HAD to have 3.1 audio (if not 5.1). It was a hard decision to make when I 86'd the center channel! However, by doing so I was able to go away from big-*** appliances on my desk.

I'm currently running the very best that China as to offer: S.M.S.L. AD18 DAC/amp connected to a pair of Micca MB42x bookshelf speakers. A Sony sub rounds things out. Sound quality is good and regaining my desk real-estate was equally good!

• Like 1

I learned the same thing.  I thought I did not need a subwoofer when I ordered "amazon basics" two-speaker-set.  BIG mistake.  Some earbuds do better base than those.  I realized I cannot go without a sub (I don't even want a lot of base, I just want some depth).  The Micca set looks familiar, I might have seen it when I was looking for a set.  I ordered Logitec Z623.  200W with a subwoofer was an overkill for a computer.  (I let youtube choose music along the lines of Imagine Dragons, Sia or Alan Walker while my wife is asleep in the next room)  I only need it to fill a 4-foot radius.  But the Logitec was perfect for the projection TV for watching movies.  

In the end, I went back to Harman Kardon HK395 with a subwoofer that came with my Dell like 15 years ago.  A sub is a must.   

I'm running a Creative Soundblaster 116db sound card with Logitech z906 speakers. With that, we have an Audio-Technica turntable connected. The sound quality is amazing with old albums. You can hear sounds in music that you don't hear in CD's and MP3's. For example, on a Queen album, you can hear fingers move along the frets of the guitar. Before the sound blankets went up, I could rattle the windows to the neighbors house with it if I wanted to. I don't care so much for going deaf as I do for sound quality, so it rarely ever gets the cops called.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1