Sign in to follow this  
Biz73

Midnight Pumkin/Lunchbox brushless gearing

For those of you running brushless motors in your Midnight Pumpkins or Lunchboxes, what pinion are you using? Stock 10t or 18t? I'm putting a 17.5 in my MP and am curious to what others have done.

Thanks

Honestly I don't think the gearing would matter all that much as the truck is so light I doubt you would hurt the motor.  I'd try the 18T and check the motor temps.  If it gets over 150F then go down. 

I had a Traxxas VXL motor in mine for about 2 days with the 18T pinion and it was over kill to the extreme so I took it out and now run one of the finned can HobbyWing Motors.  They have 540 sized cans but have internals that are closer to a 380 size.  I'm running that with the 18T pinion as well. 

If you want to get technical. It really depends on the KV of the motor you are running.  If you are running a lower KV around 3500KV you can easily run the 18T.  If you are doing somethign like the MM7700 then you would be better off wioth the 10T.

• Like 1

+1 for what racer said. 

I run 18t and am happy with it. I also used to have a variable tooth motor mount but it was such a pain to line up the nuts/bolts that eventually got rid of it and just settled on 18t for the pinion and selected motor kv accordingly. 

Ditch the adapter. It pushes the motor too far out towards the shocks anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I tried an adjustable motor mount today but because of the shape of the gearbox it would only allow down to a 17t pinion. It only got to 80 degrees and was way faster than the Torque Tuned motor it was running before:D I'm going to put on an 18t pinion because the motor mount doesn't get as good a mesh as I would like for long term running.