TwistedxSlayer

Ultimate TB01 Slow Build.

26 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@TwistedxSlayer back up a bit here. You have casually dropped TB01B buggy in here without a pic or explanation. Did it work? Was it any good? We have a right to know! 😂

Lol.

There is an entire build thread on it... Let me dig it out

9 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Lol.

There is an entire build thread on it... Let me dig it out

Thought there might be but the search function isn't great anymore

17 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thought there might be but the search function isn't great anymore

Tagged you on the thread. Thought it was in builds. Turns out it's in General Chat.

• Thanks 1

On the subject of diffs: through experimentation with @Fuijo's impressive stash of TB01 bits I've found that a TB01 diff fits a TT01/E/TT02. This means that a TT-diff is reverse-compatible with a TB01.

I did a bit of research into the weight of TT-diffs here:

Yes I know. Having fitted a swapped a rally TB01 diff into the front of my TT02B so I had a complete metal drive train in the TT02B.

In my mind the TT02 diff is lighter than the TB01 diff. But the on road TB01 diffs may be the same as the TT02

As far as diff weights go, the lightest and weakest are those found in the TT-02, which are all plastic apart from the screws. Next up are the TT-01 diffs with metal innards but plastic cases and ring gears, which I suspect are basically the same as the on-road TB-01 diffs apart from the outdrive fitment. The heaviest and strongest are those used in the rally TB-01 (and DF-02 buggy with different outdrive fitment), which have metal innards and metal ring gears. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Next up are the TT-01 diffs with metal innards but plastic cases and ring gears, which I suspect are basically the same as the on-road TB-01 diffs apart from the outdrive fitment.

Yep, looks that way to me too.

The only difference between the TB01 rally and the TB01 road diff is the ring gear.

@TwistedxSlayer I will revise what I wrote earlier about the U-pins. I successfuly repaired my bent aluminium suspension mount this morning. The aluminium bracket holds the steel pins in a fixed position

so they can't rotate. I was able to hold the pin in a vice and apply gentle pressure in the right direction until it was straight. It worked perfectly, so I don't know why I didn't try it before really. I guess I assumed the pin would

be too hard and would just bend somewhere else until it looked like a cartoon snake.

With that in mind, and because you say yours will not be run hard, or on a track, I'd use the aluminium suspension mounts if you can get them. They make accessing the diff so much easier than the pins and

e-clips in the LA kit; just the one screw, and pulls right off. It also holds the arms far more parallel than the other options. And, well, it's shiney!

• Like 1

I am a fan of shiny. And I'm very tempted to let someone race the car for me at an event just to see how it gets on. I'd do it myself but my skills are pretty poor.

If it weren't for the geographical issues I'd volunteer for that. I have a knack for piloting very un-trackable cars on an RC track.

Source: I once did a few brisk laps on our high-grip carpet indoor onroad home track....with a Sand Scorcher.

9 minutes ago, GooneyBird said:

If it weren't for the geographical issues I'd volunteer for that. I have a knack for piloting very un-trackable cars on an RC track.

Source: I once did a few brisk laps on our high-grip carpet indoor onroad home track....with a Sand Scorcher.

If shipping to you isn't too much I'll happily send it over. Your experience of the TB01 makes you a perfect candidate.

12 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

If shipping to you isn't too much I'll happily send it over. Your experience of the TB01 makes you a perfect candidate.

If it's just going to the Netherlands for @GooneyBird then look on Transglobal Express for shipping prices. DPD to Western Europe should be around £15.

28 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

If it's just going to the Netherlands for @GooneyBird then look on Transglobal Express for shipping prices. DPD to Western Europe should be around £15.

£15 is a price I'd very much pay for some quality testing to be done. It would be a shame to have done all the research with everyone and built it for it not to have at least a couple of runs around a track.

20 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Well.. sure. I'd love to test out your creation, and I'm sure @Fuijo wouldn't mind a go either. But are you sure you're willing to ship the thing to The Netherlands, just so I can have a few laps with it at my local track? (I'll have someone videotape it if you want, so you'll at least get something in return besides some new and interesting wear patterns on the tires and a bit of carpet fluff here and there).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GooneyBird said:

Well.. sure. I'd love to test out your creation, and I'm sure @Fuijo wouldn't mind a go either. But are you sure you're willing to ship the thing to The Netherlands, just so I can have a few laps with it at my local track? (I'll have someone videotape it if you want, so you'll at least get something in return besides some new and interesting wear patterns on the tires and a bit of carpet fluff here and there).

If everything goes to plan and I have created the Ultimate TB01.....then you and Fuijo can confirm this. Lol. Yes I'd be more than happy for you guys to throw it round a track for a few laps, video it and ship it back over. Tread wear and carpet fluff is a worthy cause.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GooneyBird said:
On 11/3/2018 at 7:55 PM, TwistedxSlayer said:

Gooney is a Cyberdyne Systems 101/b remote systems model. He can't miss an apex because he hasn't been programmed with that information. :)

A posse of TB-01/TG-10 diffs.

P1010672_zpspxozgchc.jpg

From left to right. TB01 road diff, TB01 rally diff, TG10 ball diff, TB01 reinforced one way unit.

Personally I'd go with the road diff. I can't see the pot metal ring gear on the rally diff adding anything except weight. The rally drivetrain's strength is in the way the pinions key to the propshaft, rather than

anything to do with the ring gear.

It's a real shame that the ball diff and one way unit aren't useful for very much. They are so beautifully made.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Gooney is a Cyberdyne Systems 101/b remote systems model. He can't miss an apex because he hasn't been programmed with that information. :)

A posse of TB-01/TG-10 diffs.

[snip]

From left to right. TB01 road diff, TB01 rally diff, TG10 ball diff, TB01 reinforced one way unit.

Personally I'd go with the road diff. I can't see the pot metal ring gear on the rally diff adding anything except weight. The rally drivetrain's strength is in the way the pinions key to the propshaft, rather than

anything to do with the ring gear.

It's a real shame that the ball diff and one way unit aren't useful for very much. They are so beautifully made.

Hey, I occasionally crash stuff. :lol: (If only to maintain an air of plausibility. Like how Cmdr. Data of the Enterprise blinks. :) )

If you're going with TB01 road diffs you can just as easily employ TT02 diffs. They're far more easily available, and take fancy things like diff lockers so you can swap between having a diff and having a spool up front quite easily. Plus, they might be lighter than a TB-road diff. Depending on how much power you're putting through it (and the intended purpose of the car) I feel that anything heavier than a TB road diff is overkill.

@Fuijo is running his TB01 with the stock plastic diffs with a Sport Tuned (I think?) on a high-grip carpet track and they've yet to show any signs of wear. I'm running my TT on the same carpet track with plastic diffs, and they're absolutely bomb-proof. I've seen guys running 10.5t brushless motors on things like a TB Evo 6/7 without a single issue.

• Like 1

TT02 diffs may be the way forward.

Intended use.... Few laps round your track. Shelf life and maybe light use on a very flat smooth carpark.

Motor wise. I'm gonna stick with brushed and NiHM power. Probably a higher end brushed Tamiya motor and Mtroniks ESC.

For testing your more than welcome to throw a LiPo in there just remembering the ESC will probably not have LiPo Cutoff.

And useless the chassis bothers to turn up... The whole project is at a stop. Lol

• Haha 1

Still not chassis, researching gearbox cases, the TB01 boxes are heavy and solidly made, looking at the th TBEvo boxes look like they use less material with carbon fibre shock towers. This may end up more along the lines of an TBEvo rather than modded TB01, purely due to the weight issues, the Evo gear is lighter as you’d expect

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Chassis is in France. Got returned to sender apparently.

That'll be Brexit's fault 🙄

• Haha 2

Here is to hoping that the chassis arrives in the next couple of days. Jumped a few steps and decided on which body I'd like for it to wear when it's sat on a shelf. Going for the Tamiya Ferrari F430 Body. Don't know the offset of the wheels that go with the body though.

On 10/31/2018 at 5:06 PM, OCD said:

I'd love to see these employed:

C9C6T5Q.jpg?1oaMDLrB.jpg?1oKYFcLl.jpg?1JGJ3oVc.jpg

B)

Which gearbox joint? #54477 #04237