TwistedxSlayer

Ultimate TB01 Slow Build.

Pins, clips and screws have arrived. Need to order some button head hex screws for the gearbox covers.

Think I'm going to go for 40wt shock oil and a varying amount of Tamiya AW grease in the diffs to control them.

20 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

4Uj06HM.jpg

They look fancy😉

Are you going to do 2 builds? 

43 minutes ago, svenb said:

They look fancy😉

Are you going to do 2 builds? 

Probably not to be honest. It just wasn’t worth the postage cost for a single set, so I decided to buy 2 sets instead. They were a lot cheaper than I thought they were going to be. Thanks to @ALEXKYRIAK for drawing them and send the CAD design to me.

Forgot I had also ordered GPM cvds which arrived a couple of days ago.

Need to wait for payday then order the next few small items.

Shim set.

Diff grease.

Unsure weather I want alloy servo mounts or to stick with the plastic ones.

Come on mate this build is soooooo slow! 

Alloy servo stays obviously 😉

• Like 1

Proper slooooow. Building on a very tight budget and wanna make sure I get everything right. And I've just found a Tamiya Carbon chassis frame for it.

22 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Proper slooooow. Building on a very tight budget and wanna make sure I get everything right. And I've just found a Tamiya Carbon chassis frame for it.

I'm keen on seeing the carbon chassis  good find 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

I'm keen on seeing the carbon chassis  good find 👍

So I may have accidentally bought the carbon frame kit. It's got a few scratches on the underside but I can live with that. Naturally I'll now be using the Tamiya chassis rather than the GPM chassis. 2 reasons. 1 the Tamiya chassis should be lighter being carbon fibre. 2. It's a Tamiya carbon fibre chassis! I was going to use the GPM steering setup but I may have to see how it compares to the TG10 alloy steering setup weight wise. I've got the TG10 alloy steering on my Levant.

The Tamiya TB01 Carbon Frame Kit arrived and now I’ve got the decision to make of which chassis kit to use. I’ll see which one is lighter and go from there, or I may use it on the Shelf Queen TB01 that has early every other TB01/TG10  hop up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

The Tamiya TB01 Carbon Frame Kit arrived and now I’ve got the decision to make of which chassis kit to use. I’ll see which one is lighter and go from there, or I may use it on the Shelf Queen TB01 that has early every other TB01/TG10  hop up.

If it was me I'd put such a rare part on a shelf queen 👍 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:48 AM, svenb said:

If it was me I'd put such a rare part on a shelf queen 👍 

Which is exactly what I did mate just because you said so and thinking about it then made sense

So I kinda made a start....

Not following the manual in the slightest, building it as I feel like. Lol. Mainly with the bits I have, I am still missing a couple of items.

Everything has been selected for the weight of it, all items used are the lightest possible version. A full list of all items used and who helped me along the way will be listed at the end of the build. 

Most of the parts are here, off the top of my head I am missing:-

1x e clip I have 15 but need 16

6x alloy 5mm ball mounts 

32mm alloy turnbuckles

alloy servo mounts

wheels

0.4 steel or Ti coated Pinion gear

motor

esc

servo

MD4qNt0.jpg

ilOcxBq.jpg

R3zsyDd.jpg

fVE3U2z.jpg

hAIIg5A.jpg

6WYMh4P.jpg

V0FbNvX.jpg

nI9WWLr.jpg

The selection of screws I will be using.

QlqEqeZ.jpg

pwYpewB.jpg

0LztdRW.jpg

S9c2ien.jpg

aUZOm0L.jpg

wG5T8x4.jpg

eC4B6qv.jpg

So far, fairly normal build, TB Evo 2 hardened arms fitted to the gearbox casings with custom made fibrelyte shock towers, and Tamiya stainless steel hinge pins. TL01/M03 hopup rear uprights now this is where it gets a little more interesting. I’ve ditched the TB01 front hub carriers and hubs in favor of the TA04 Pro racing setup. I’ve opted for lightweight alloy suspension ball mounts over the steel ones.

EXD6MBR.jpg

Black alloy, shiny steel

87n5PDB.jpg

fbTI04p.jpg

The bottom screws and TA04 hubs were kindly donated by @svenb I am hoping I can get enough of a turning circle out of them.

Q8e7L0V.jpg

1AgBaZY.jpg

DEaLbyo.jpg

And this is were I left it for today.

Arms fitted, front and rear hub carriers and hubs fitted and shock towers.

• Like 3

Looking good 👍

When you 5mm ball mounts do you mean ball connectors or the ball nuts? Plus what pinion are you after? Teeth wise. 

Ball connectors😉 just read your wanted post. 

Are you using the 6mm ball connectors on the camber links? 

• Like 1

5mm ball connectors everywhere. Lol. Easier for spares.

Tooth wise on the pinion gear I am not too sure. Undecided which spur I will be running yet. I've got a selection to choose. Not worked out the FDR

On 9/1/2019 at 8:11 PM, TwistedxSlayer said:

TL01/M03 hopup rear uprights now this is where it gets a little more interesting

Maybe I missed something earoier in topic, but what's reason for TL01/M03 uprights? Won't they make rear axle about 1cm wider?

55 minutes ago, Honza said:

Maybe I missed something earoier in topic, but what's reason for TL01/M03 uprights? Won't they make rear axle about 1cm wider?

No they don't widen the axle. They change the Toe In angle to 2 degrees. Improving handling apparently.

Arent Evo rear arms significiantly wider, than TB01 and about the same length as front arms? These hubs are designed for short span arms, in the last photo is visible, that hinge pin is about 5mm further from wheel, than on front axle.

TB evo uprights are closer in look to 50965 TL-01LA uprights, maybe those would be better fit?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Honza said:

Arent Evo rear arms significiantly wider, than TB01 and about the same length as front arms? These hubs are designed for short span arms, in the last photo is visible, that hinge pin is about 5mm further from wheel, than on front axle.

TB evo uprights are closer in look to 50965 TL-01LA uprights, maybe those would be better fit?

You may very well be right and I've not noticed that at all when I've assembled it. I will double check when I've got them out again. Well spotted.

Right having gone back and re-read some comments I have decided that I am going to use the TL01/M03 hop up uprights on my TB01 Rally Car and I am going to try and source some 2.5 / 3 degree rear uprights that will work better with these arms. I have a choice of plenty. I am leaning towards some off the TA04 or TA05 Pro.

• Like 2

Made a start on doing the diffs and assembly of the gearboxes last night.

wLwKlDR.jpg

D3kQiLm.jpg

Gone for TT02 diffs due the lightness of them and they are fairly alright. I won’t be running massive power and I am happy that they can handle being in a TB01. I’ve filled the rear diff with some grease that I tend to use in all my diffs, as I am not racing it competitively I am not too concerned about it, the front diff is quite free with a good smearing of Tamiya AW grease.

JriDBnN.jpg

zufsmCA.jpg

I’ve not swapped out the rear uprights just yet.

iCLCYZz.jpg

Thread tool to precut some threads, mainly to be used on the turnbuckles.

aS5LHef.jpg

7MysLPZ.jpg

01MG0AP.jpg

LbL34V0.jpg

Added a couple of shims to take up that small gap that was left between the ‘e’ clip and the arm.

HkqqnXD.jpg

Right this is were the 1st silly problem starts.

OximriB.jpg

These hardened drive cups have a central post which goes through the middle of the spider in the diff. For all those who have built TT02 diffs will know that the TT02 diff does NOT have a hole in the middle of the spider. I have remembered this after building both diffs and installing them in the gearboxes. 

Solution.

i am going to have to strip them back down, open up the diffs and drill a small hole in the middle of them like I did for my Neo Scorcher build.

This will be done later this week hopefully.

So I was able to use the side without the post just to get part of it built for a photo of it.

XWiOcR0.jpg

6sMQ3KP.jpg

5i7MBTq.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful chassis these TB01. Never had one, only started with TB02.