TwistedxSlayer

Ultimate TB01 Slow Build.

As much as I love the TB01 i would never call it beautiful. Lol. It's a heavy engineered hardcore chassis. The GPM chassis kit is a really nice piece of kit along with the Carbon Frame Kit from Tamiya. I'd really like to build a TB02.

• Haha 1

So had a bit of spare time to open up the diff and modify the spider.

EyL60Ya.jpg

2.5mm drill bit.

ZTvPUTx.jpg

Rebuilt both the diffs and started with the steering.

..RFMXtZ5.jpg

This is a very nice piece of kit but only comes with bushes not bearings so I'll be swapping them out.

Also need a couple of bearings for the prop shaft where it goes through the motor mount and the front support.

Also need LOTS more 5mm alloy ball mounts for all the suspension mounts. And also need alloy turnbuckles of various lengths for the steering and upper control arms.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

As much as I love the TB01 i would never call it beautiful. Lol. It's a heavy engineered hardcore chassis. The GPM chassis kit is a really nice piece of kit along with the Carbon Frame Kit from Tamiya. I'd really like to build a TB02.

It's all in the eye of the beholder mate😉

Tis a nice looking chassis so much better than some of the latest offerings 

• Like 2

Guess who completely forgot to put a bearing in each gearbox that the prop shaft sits in. Que stripping the gearboxes for a 2nd time to add said bearing and then rebuild. Again.

• Sad 1

Hi mate been reading through your build some great mods and interesting info for me to pick at, hopefully will have a tb-01 shortly. Is there any must have mods you would recommend it’s going to be used as a rally car?  I know parts are rare I think that’s what’s going to make my build more of a challenge.  Also I’m going to PM you regarding a few ideas I have. Cheers again.

Subscribed 

S

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Seanster43 said:

Hi mate been reading through your build some great mods and interesting info for me to pick at, hopefully will have a tb-01 shortly. Is there any must have mods you would recommend it’s going to be used as a rally car?  I know parts are rare I think that’s what’s going to make my build more of a challenge.  Also I’m going to PM you regarding a few ideas I have. Cheers again.

Subscribed 

S

Standard parts aren’t too bad to get hold of, hop up parts are getting thin on the ground.

Id highly recommended keeping the steel prop shaft as the splined pinion gear is stronger than the D shaped plastic ones that are used with the alloy and carbon shafts. If you can find the alloy GPM prop shaft, that has splined ends to fit the steel pinion gear.

Defo would suggest using the bath tub cover to keep dirt and stones out of the chassis. 

• Like 1

Last night's little adventure.

auNU0M9.jpg

3v9lbd6.jpg

rKfEPqn.jpg

As you can see there are a couple of options of how to build these shocks. I've opted to build them as TB02/TB Evo. I think that, that is the closest to what I've got.

hcZlrjx.jpg

E9078vF.jpg

gTihOQ0.jpg

PZXsiSS.jpg

psXZhaR.jpg

mK0EGc4.jpg

Rear gearbox isn't attached yet. Not putting it on until I've got the prop shaft sorted with the bearings.

ydHivVF.jpg

• Like 3

Something very satisfying about building dampers:rolleyes:

Are you going to use the mounting hole on the front hubs to mimic the TA04 racing suspension set? ie turnbuckle from the top deck to a ball connector on the hub.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, svenb said:

Something very satisfying about building dampers:rolleyes:

Are you going to use the mounting hole on the front hubs to mimic the TA04 racing suspension set? ie turnbuckle from the top deck to a ball connector on the hub.

Yes I am. To give some more stability to the front arms. I wasn't able to remove all of the play and that top stabilizer link will help. I've got the TA04 turnbuckle set 53456 in my eBay basket along with the bearings I need and some more black alloy 5mm ball mounts. I've got plenty of gold steel ones but i want to keep it all matching. That silly big yellow clip will be going soon for either black or silver.

2 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

That silly big yellow clip will be going soon for either black or silver.

Got a tamiya silver blue limited edition I could throw your way

15709757558678133450910272502287.jpg

• Like 1

No pictures for this update. Not yet anyway.

Major problem that I should have seen coming and don't know why I didn't sooner!

As shown previously I got 2x sets of GPM 39mm cvds. The front set fit perfectly.

I came to fit the rears last night and guess what.... They are too short. Lol. It appears that the rear arms and hubs are sitting much wider than the fronts. Now I don't know if that is down to the rear uprights or not.

The front arms are sitting with TA04 hub carriers and hubs whereas the rear is using the TL01/M03 hop up uprights.

I don't mind the rear sitting a bit wider due to the body I want to sit on it but I will need to get the perfect offset wheels so they sit flush with the body.

My question is.... do I look for longer cvds or look to change the up rights?

I did a bit of experimentation with this kind of thing recently when looking for a chassis that might fit my 306 shell. I have a Comical Hornet when uses the TL01 rear uprights, but new longer-than-TL01 arms and 42mm driveshafts, so similar to your rear end. With zero offset racing wheels and 4.5mm thick hexes it was just barely under 190mm across the wheels. It would fit under my racing shell, but would go near my 306. If you have the shell already i would check the width. It might fit and if it does you can even out the front with 7 or 8mm thick hexes. 

• Like 1

How short are the cvds? are they rebuild able so longer can be fitted? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, svenb said:

How short are the cvds? are they rebuild able so longer can be fitted? 

They look about 10mm too short to sit in the middle of the drive cup.

The don't look rebuildable. Just been looking at TA04/TB02 uprights that are designed for these arms and the uprights are considerably narrower than the current ones

36 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I did a bit of experimentation with this kind of thing recently when looking for a chassis that might fit my 306 shell. I have a Comical Hornet when uses the TL01 rear uprights, but new longer-than-TL01 arms and 42mm driveshafts, so similar to your rear end. With zero offset racing wheels and 4.5mm thick hexes it was just barely under 190mm across the wheels. It would fit under my racing shell, but would go near my 306. If you have the shell already i would check the width. It might fit and if it does you can even out the front with 7 or 8mm thick hexes. 

I think I would need closer to 49/50mm drive shafts for them to sit right

16 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I think I would need closer to 49/50mm drive shafts for them to sit right

Sounds like it will be way too wide then. I suspect any of thr flat face TRF uprights will work, but only the very recent aluminium ones have toe in. 

5 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Sounds like it will be way too wide then. I suspect any of thr flat face TRF uprights will work, but only the very recent aluminium ones have toe in. 

That's what I think may be the better option. But only the ones where the mount for the upper control arms mounts on the side not the top.

6 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

That's what I think may be the better option. But only the ones where the mount for the upper control arms mounts on the side not the top.

What does it need to be on the side? If you have ball ends and camber links it should just work by lengthening the link slightly and twisting the outer ball end through 90 deg. I converted my TA06 usibg the same method. 

11 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

What does it need to be on the side? If you have ball ends and camber links it should just work by lengthening the link slightly and twisting the outer ball end through 90 deg. I converted my TA06 usibg the same method. 

It looks like the mount on the gearbox sits too low to be able to do that. I think the angle of the link will be too much but I will happily be proved wrong.

4 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Just been looking at TA04/TB02 uprights that are designed for these arms and the uprights are considerably narrower than the current ones

These are from a ta04 

IMG_20191006_220943~2.jpg

I have some spare bolt on parts for TRF416 uprights that i took off my TA06 you could have. Look at a basic TA06 manual and you will see them. It's a block that turns the attachment to horizontal. You need the two hole uprights though. The later 418 uprights only have single hole. 

2019-10-17_01-54-22

Yes, TL01/M-03 upright will be significiantly wider, as they are designed to stick out of rims so small diameter rims can be used. Long span arms have pivot point inside of wheel.

How wide is space for uprights in rear arms? If it's 12mm, TA04 uprights won't fit - they are ~16mm wide, if I remember correctly. Maybe TL01LA uprights might be right choice? They appear to have right shape and they also should have some toe-in

Or, you can go by way of long CVDs - TRF415 and TB Evo5 with reversible arms used 48mm swing shafts, from what you've said, they should be perfect fit. Wheel axles can be used from TRF414.