TwistedxSlayer

Ultimate TB01 Slow Build.

Just wanted to throw in that when I bought 42mm universals for the TA02 conversion on the front of my TA01 I used CC01 universals. They had the large inner bearing though I think. 

• Like 1

The more input the better ☺️.
I'll try anything me. The wide arm conversion. I've been wanting to do ages. I did a super wide buggy conversion to a TB01 a while ago using TL01B parts and a few other bits and pieces.

• Like 2

Just occurred to me that the TB Evo II introduced toe adjustment by way of the suspension blocks that are common on all of today's touring cars... So most of the modern rear uprights are 0 degrees and toe is created by varying the width of the lower arm mounts. Probably an obvious fact to those that have raced these before, but didn't click for me until just now :lol::rolleyes:

• Haha 1

On the other hand, the front uprights should be an easy cross-fit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-58284-Evolution-Evo-II-2-50964-9335348-19335348-Front-Uprights-2-Pcs/392029726446?hash=item5b46cae6ee:g:hg8AAOSwSlBY1SPk:rk:29:pf:0

If you look at the TB Evo II's front-end setup, it's pretty much the LA arms and carriers with uprights that accept 1150 bearings.

rxQ63Pe.jpg

17 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I'm basically gonna build an TB Evo 2 😅😂😂

I wouldn't say that. Unless you are ditching the TB01 bulkheads, diff cases, damper stays, chassis tub... there's a lot of differences in the base components of an Evo II

• Like 1

The chassis tub is going but for a very tasty replacement. Bulk heads and diff cases will stay. Damper stays may change for hopped up variants.

On 10/29/2018 at 08:09 AM, TwistedxSlayer said:

"Will the TT02B uprights fit?"

I don't think so. I don't have a TT02B here for comparison sake, but based on what I could glean from the online manuals, it appears to me that the lower pivot is too wide for the LA arms. I also have a variety of different uprights in here in my spares that I tried out, and most them were similarly too wide at the bottom pivot as well.

That being said, this is what I could come up with after looking though the manuals for the Evo I, II, & III; 414M, and the TL01LA:

• I believe TB Evo II was the first to incorporate the 42mm length/5mm axle universals mated with the 53430 long arms. Unfortunately I cannot find an Evo II rear upright with or with out additional toe, but the front knuckles are currently available on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-58284-Evolution-Evo-II-2-50964-9335348-19335348-Front-Uprights-2-Pcs/392029726446?hash=item5b46cae6ee:g:hg8AAOSwSlBY1SPk:rk:29:pf:0
  • In that same year (2001) Tamiya also released the TRF414M chassis that used a similar setup, but with TA04 arms instead. This is where things got weird. For whatever reason, Then entire suspension design in the 414M differs in slight ways that don't seem to have any real benefit over the Evo II -- The swing shafts are 39mm, and the length of the lower arms decreased accordingly. The front carrier and knuckle have a fairly serious differences, but the basic dimensions largely stay the same. This seems to indicate that the front TA04 knuckles may be a cross-fit. Great! :D The rear uprights on the other hand are different  from the Evo II design in almost every way. The lower pivot is wider and there's and additional boss for purposes unknown to me lol. Basically nothing usable back here if you want to use the 53430/TB Evo arms.
  • A year later (2002) Tamiya releases the TL01LA, and things start to line up again -- you get all new arms (50966) that are basically the same as the 53430/TB Evo set, but just a bit shorter in length.  This means that the swing shafts are back to 39mm, but the front knuckles, carriers, and rear uprights are all the same basic dimensions as the TB Evo II. Great! :lol: 

A link to the manuals I used: https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

So perhaps the 53345 for the TL01LA really is your best option if you want to use the TB LA kit with 5mm axles?

I might have to buy them and give this a go!

5 hours ago, OCD said:

On 10/29/2018 at 08:09 AM, TwistedxSlayer said:

"Will the TT02B uprights fit?"

I don't think so. I don't have a TT02B here for comparison sake, but based on what I could glean from the online manuals, it appears to me that the lower pivot is too wide for the LA arms. I also have a variety of different uprights in here in my spares that I tried out, and most them were similarly too wide at the bottom pivot as well.

That being said, this is what I could come up with after looking though the manuals for the Evo I, II, & III; 414M, and the TL01LA:

• I believe TB Evo II was the first to incorporate the 42mm length/5mm axle universals mated with the 53430 long arms. Unfortunately I cannot find an Evo II rear upright with or with out additional toe, but the front knuckles are currently available on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-58284-Evolution-Evo-II-2-50964-9335348-19335348-Front-Uprights-2-Pcs/392029726446?hash=item5b46cae6ee:g:hg8AAOSwSlBY1SPk:rk:29:pf:0
  • In that same year (2001) Tamiya also released the TRF414M chassis that used a similar setup, but with TA04 arms instead. This is where things got weird. For whatever reason, Then entire suspension design in the 414M differs in slight ways that don't seem to have any real benefit over the Evo II -- The swing shafts are 39mm, and the length of the lower arms decreased accordingly. The front carrier and knuckle have a fairly serious differences, but the basic dimensions largely stay the same. This seems to indicate that the front TA04 knuckles may be a cross-fit. Great! :D The rear uprights on the other hand are different  from the Evo II design in almost every way. The lower pivot is wider and there's and additional boss for purposes unknown to me lol. Basically nothing usable back here if you want to use the 53430/TB Evo arms.
  • A year later (2002) Tamiya releases the TL01LA, and things start to line up again -- you get all new arms (50966) that are basically the same as the 53430/TB Evo set, but just a bit shorter in length.  This means that the swing shafts are back to 39mm, but the front knuckles, carriers, and rear uprights are all the same basic dimensions as the TB Evo II. Great! :lol: 

A link to the manuals I used: https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

So perhaps the 53345 for the TL01LA really is your best option if you want to use the TB LA kit with 5mm axles?

I might have to buy them and give this a go!

There was a couple of TL01LA kits on ebay a while ago. I don't know why I didn't think of using that in the 1st place. I've used TL01B suspension on a TB01 when I built my TB01 Buggy. Switching over now isn't the best idea for me. Then I'll have 3 sets of arms I can't use. Lol. I think I'll stick with the TB Evo II option at the moment, and dropping to 5mm axles will allow me to use the TL01/M03 3degree hop up hubs. Thanks for the research.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

50905 front hub carriers off the TGR

These are the original carriers for the 53430 kit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

There was a couple of TL01LA kits on ebay a while ago. I don't know why I didn't think of using that in the 1st place

Just to be clear (because I'll admit that large block of text above may not be lol) -- The TL01LA arms may fit the TB01, but they are designed to use 39mm swing shafts. I was mostly just describing the TL01 setup for comparative purposes; Incorporating 42mm shafts is the only way to go if you're aiming for the "ultimate" TB01 ;)

48 minutes ago, OCD said:

Just to be clear (because I'll admit that large block of text above may not be lol) -- The TL01LA arms may fit the TB01, but they are designed to use 39mm swing shafts. I was mostly just describing the TL01 setup for comparative purposes; Incorporating 42mm shafts is the only way to go if you're aiming for the "ultimate" TB01 ;)

TL01LA will fit the TB01. As i used TL01B arms and hub carriers and hubs to build my TB01B.

Ultimate TB01 is the aim so 42mm will have to take centre stage. Just deciding if Tamiya or GPM should take the lead on the shafts.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Just deciding if Tamiya or GPM should take the lead on the shafts.

I'd love to see these employed:

C9C6T5Q.jpg?1oaMDLrB.jpg?1oKYFcLl.jpg?1JGJ3oVc.jpg

B)

4 minutes ago, OCD said:

I'd love to see these employed:

C9C6T5Q.jpg?1oaMDLrB.jpg?1oKYFcLl.jpg?1JGJ3oVc.jpg

B)

Funny you should mention them.... I've just been looking at them on ebay and was seriously debating them

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Funny you should mention them.... I've just been looking at them on ebay and was seriously debating them

I've been longing to use these universals ever since Tamiya introduced them -- It's a really neat design and completely over-the-top for anything less than a dedicated racing chassis. Perfect for my misguided intentions :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OCD said:

I've been longing to use these universals ever since Tamiya introduced them -- It's a really neat design and completely over-the-top for anything less than a dedicated racing chassis. Perfect for my misguided intentions :lol:

I agree totally and they will look amazing on the Ultimate TB01

• Like 2

Cardans are great with a spool. Although if not running a spool the universals are just as effective, and sometimes better as they weigh less.

Enjoying this build, I have a soft spot for the tb01, and the TbEvo1

• Like 1

9 hours ago, qatmix said:

Cardans are great with a spool. Although if not running a spool the universals are just as effective, and sometimes better as they weigh less.

Enjoying this build, I have a soft spot for the tb01, and the TbEvo1

Wasn't planning to use a spool. Still undecided on the diffs. Ball or geared? One Way up front?

I would just keep the diffs, especially if you are not running it. One ways are just hardcore in this brushless era, as the instant high torque of the brushless motor compared to the old brushed ones makes them even harder to keep smooth.  If I was making one now, I would use a gear diff in the front and fit some putty so it is quite tight (but not quite a spool) and run a ball diff in the rear to allow the car to be tuned and also to take off some initial bite to make it softer on launch.

Was tempted for a ball diffs in both due to the weight of them. In my mind they are lighter than the geared diffs. But a full plastic TT02 diff may be lighter than both

28 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Was tempted for a ball diffs in both due to the weight of them.

You don't mean TG10 ball diffs do you? Those things weigh more than plutonium.

The TB01 road-going gear diffs aren't that heavy really. Are those what you have, or do you have the rally car versions with the metal ring gear?

• Haha 1