Lee76

1st time help please!

Hi, new to Tamiya club and this is my first post.

Like many others as a child I coveted the Tamiya models but could not afford one, the closest I came was a catalogue I spent many months daydreaming over. Recently (side story alert) My other half lost both her main and spare set of car keys, this will cost us around £500 to replace!! as a result I’m leveraging this expense to justify spending money on my first RC car.

I’ve gone round in so many circles trying to choose, my childhood wish had always been the Avante, and having the local cricket club right behind us would give me plenty of space to race it about (this one is more about my love for it’s looks rather than the value for money or best drive car) I know that I’ll probably enjoy the building more than the drive and it may become a shelf sitter so..

Ive also considered the sand scorcher, I used to love building and painting airfix, so this is something I could get into in a big way adding scale details and as much realism as possible, trouble with this one, I’ve read its a terrible drive on anything other than sand and it would roll easily. I’d still like to give it a blast on the grass from time to time. Perhaps someone can debunk the drive story?

Like most, I’ve also loved the monster beetle (side story alert 2) I once paid a boy at school £5 for a wheelie bar to fit the monster beetle I never had :(. Anyway, i’d Stil like one of these, but to be honest they now look a little toyish.. especially the red plastic chassis parts and plasticy yellow suspension. I could do a decent scale paint job, but would anyone suggest a way of giving the under body gubbins something a little more realism? I suppose I’d like a monster sand scorcher scale model that is packed with detail and handles well on grass..

You may say, just buy them all... If I get into it I probably will! But to be safe and before I spend all our savings can someone please throw their 2 cents at me for inspiration.. 

Thanks all in advance.

• Like 3

Ok, as your looking to build then it has to be a model thats been re-released. All 3 you mention above have been. Some are easier to get than others.

You need to consider the surface your going bashing on, as its grass big wheels will help as will good ground clearance. If its a natural grass and you want to run in the rougher parts only the monster beetle will really cope, the others will struggle as they are low.

The beetle will also give you the most options for taking to different places due to the larger wheels and decent suspension. For me the Red chassis and Yellow shocks are part of its heritage and charm. A blackfoot has a red chassis and black pogo's and non spiked hard ribbed tires so way less traction and if you look at most running photos you would be hard pushed to notice the red chassis.

We as a family run Madbulls for the 2 little ones with the rest of us on WT-01's (more modern Monster Beetle if you will)

• Like 1

Thanks Baddon, the pitches are well kept and very short grass, firm ground. But I think the versatility of the Monster Beetle is a big plus point. I was pretty much set on this until I found this forum and a few of the custom scorchers people were working on. I might start with this, see how it fits then think of a custom shelfer. Or see how much of the beetle I can mod.. I’ll need to do some more googleing of the madbulls and WT-01 ‘s I’m already getting the sense I have to look up every other word anyone says!

Hi Lee76, take a look at the Blitzer Beetle. Nearly the same shell as a sand Scorcher but on a more capable, but still retro, 2wd buggy chassis(Falcon family). You could paint it up like a Sand Scorcher and put some different wheels on it. BBs a good runner on most surfaces.

• Like 2

Thanks Bromley, another good suggestion. There looks like quite a few examples of good custom jobs on these too on image search. My eye still twitches a little at the plastic front bumper, but I bet for where i’ll Be driving it would fit the bill. I need to be careful my first build isn’t a completely bespoke one else I’ll be still working on it this time next year. Truth is I actually quite enjoy the research phase of any project.. I’ll spend a whole evening now looking at peoples custom blitzers!

You found Tamico.de yet? @Lee76 The weekly specials are always good. 

I would probably say Clodbuster or WT-01.

Clodbuster to satisfy the small child in you, as that was always the best as it was biggest. Biggest is best to the 6 year old boy, drive over the top of the Avante. :o:wacko: 

WT-01 can be 4x4x4 as well, but it's faster and handles better.

• Like 1

Thanks Wolfdogstinkus, I’ve not discovered that yet, I’ll look that up next. A spoiled kid at secondary had a cloud buster, I think at least something that looked like it in the early 90’s if it wasn’t around. He never used it though. My friend runs a touring car club with schumachers, said I should get a car and join in, probably not what he meant but would be a laugh to watch it quite literally destroy the competition...

Welcome Lee. I run a lot on grass and if the grass you run on is kept short it's a pretty high grip surface. I would put another tick on the Blitzer if you definitely want a bug shell. I use a more modern 2wd chassis ( the DT03) with Blitzer wheels on it and they help it run really well on grass and other surfaces and they are super fun to drive. That said, you should be able to run buggies on short well kept grass too, so don't discount the other options. I am sure whatever you get will be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Thanks ThunderDragonCy, I’ve been watching a few videos of people running most stuff on grass, seems like it wouldn’t be too bad with any of them. I’m beginning to see why my partner complains I’m difficult to buy for.. very particular tastes and the ability to over think everything. Apart from the Avante I’d not really considered the buggies, I’ll have a look over the DT03 class next :) I can feel I’ll end up with more than one job...

No problem. If you like the idea of truck wheels then the Aqroshot comes with them on the DT03 chassis. Tyres are a bit pants but another £20 on Schumacher truck tyres and it will be great. Otherwise a DT03 buggy (Neo Fighter or Racing Fighter) with a couple of tweaks will be a lot of fun.

Of the three you highlighted, I'd expect the Sand Scorcher would be a shelf queen very quickly. I've a buggy champ (same chassis) as my 2nd car when I got back in to rc a few years ago. Fun on sand, but a liability on the grass with no rear diff. All that detail just getting damaged in roll overs.

I run my Avante in the back garden, and it handles short grass well enough. However buggies are very good at hoovering up the cut grass, so depending on how they maintain the pitches, you could have a busy evening after a run :)

Monster Beetle of the three I expect would see the most run time, and there's plenty options to customise both the shell and the orv chassis itself. Plus there's a few different body choices both lexan and ABS if you need something more robust.

Blitzers are a great fun, I've had hours of fun on grass and sand with mine. It's a go to buggy that can take lots of power. The bigger wheels and bathtub chassis make it nice and robust.

My current favoured grass runner is actually an XV01 rally car. If the pitch is reasonably flat that could be a great laugh. Lots of different body types to choose from too, and an interesting build to boot.

However, if I had to tell you one to pick, I'd tell you to buy the Avante. If you're having to justify the expense, you might not get the opportunity to splash £500 again (which is where you're at, with radios, batteries, chargers, paints and tools etc to buy).

It's the childhood dream, the nostalgia is right there and it's a beautiful thing. How much longer they are available for, who knows :)

Tamico have a good deal on them right now - https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=4712&lang=eng  about £341 delivered, or there's a Black Special coming nearer Christmas time (https://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/47390-tamiya-avante-black-special) - Fusion do a 10% discount for TamiyaClub members.

• Like 2

Thanks @jupitertwo, that’s helped seal the deal.

I think I might just do that, Avante first. Since it should be a good runner on the short grass + satisfy the inner child.. Once this is up and running I can take time over a scale build, like the scorcher, take some time over it. 

I’d not really considered the rally cars before, but having just looked at a few running might have to make my list too. Lots of scope there too for custom body designs I think.

I’ll have my first car on order before the end of the evening :)

I have a toddler, I’m sure In a few years I’ll be helping him with his first build too.. dads excuse to expand his toy collection :)

Thanks to all who commented!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again all, the deed is done.. Avante on order and all the paints and a few tools!

Could I possibly put upon you gents a little more, especially the Avante owners?

I’ve just spent 2 hours trying to determine what electrical/electronic and hop up items I’m going to need. None the wiser... there are a few too many options and opinions.

I don’t want to go crazy, but would still like half decent parts that work well with the standard set up and hop up anything that is a must have (probably subjective again but if its addressing a flaw I’d probably do it)

Never having had a car before I’ll also need to pick a controller type, no real preconceptions about wheel or thumb sticks, with risk of opening a can of worms.. which is best?

• Like 1

Neither is best, it's what you get used too 1st. For me it was sticks. I would urge you to go wheelie controller though, as support for this type of transmitter is much better. Not many stick radios about these days unless you want to star tweaking 5/6 channel plane type transmitters. The entry level stick radios don't have model memory and feel pretty cheap in general. In wheelie format the worlds your oyster.

• Like 1

Having spent a lot of time "playing with cars" of various types over the years, I strongly believe that when starting out, getting the car with "the magic", the one that makes you feel that twinge of imagination, is a great way to do it. Your passion and nostalgia will only grow, and you won't regret it or tire of the model. Just accept its performance and tuning potential for what it is. Then select cars based on performance per terrain/class, in order of your favorites. This time using the magic/excitement factor as a secondary consideration after narrowing down the choices based on performance criteria.

• Like 2

First, Welcome to TC!  

Second, can I suggest keeping the Avante in the box? (and buy a 2nd "driver" car?)  

Buying Avante now is a good idea.  The re-release has been out for some time. It's not rare yet. So the price is low.  This is about the best time to buy. 

Before getting to that... Might I also suggest to leverage what you saved, not what she lost?  She'd be angry at herself, and then angry at you for leveraging her mistake.  No matter how you explain that it was your dream, there is a danger of her thinking, "I just lost £500, and he just doubled that loss!"  No, no.  Men don't mean that -- we're just trying to achieve the childhood dream!  Also, it can come back to haunt me when I make a mistake.  I tried both.  You can wait for some other chance to save her money, and then you can be cute and keep the difference.  That seems to work better (for me, anyway, everybody is different...).  

The reason why I would suggest not building Avante now is that there is a great chance that the first RC car would be destroyed.  There is a bit of a learning curve.  After building a couple cars, you'd go like, "aha!, that's how it works!"  I've made my share of mistakes, and lots of used cars I buy come with builder-mistakes.  I would get the notch on my belt with cheaper cars first.  Your solo flight shouldn't be in a F35, maybe it should be in a Cessna.  

Unless you are very used to RC simulators (using actual controllers), you will feel like the car has made up its mind to ram into walls or into the traffic to commit a suicide.  Since you haven't decided on stick vs wheel controller, I'd assume you are not used to driving yet.  When the car comes at you, you have to flip the steering.  Right becomes left, left becomes right.  If I had a choice, I would not learn to drive in one of the coveted Tamiyas out there.  

I'd get a Monster Beetle, leave the hard shell home, and get myself a Lexan body for running.  You could crack the chassis by screwing too tightly.  You might leave something loose and grind the gears toothless.  You could cross-thread, and ask about how to fix it.  You could run without loctite, and lose screws.  You might keep the tire unbalanced and shake off a dog bone.  You could be crawling in the grass with a flashlight looking for it.  You could drive it into your ankle, you jump up to escape it and step on your car.  (sadly, all this is from experience...)

In worst case scenario, you can do all that in the maiden voyage.  I'd be relieved if I did that with a Monster Beetle with a Lexan body, rather than a beautifully finished Avante.  

...yes... I'm suggesting that you buy another car... so you can treat Avante better.    

As for the controller, I learned to drive sticks first.  But I got to like the wheel for steering.  I still don't like the trigger, but most of my controllers have wheels.  So... I wish there was a cheap controller like this (with at least 20 car memory!)  

Gwz7xS6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Get a Hornet as well.
Great first car to bash around in. Not really that capable on rough stuff, but tough as nails, an easy build, cheap and fun. Can be upgraded a bit these days with aftermarket bits.

There's heaps of them around too, second hand or new.

You know it makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Juggular, Thanks, some sound advice. Don’t get me wrong here, we’re not on the breadline, it’s just that my hobbies tend to involve buying things and hers don’t.. True I do get some passive aggressive ‘guidance’ of where to spend my money and she gets some back when she spends hers on new keys, speeding tickets or gym membership she uses twice a year :) we have good banter. (Side story alert) I once got permission to use my own money buying a really nice and expensive north face snowboarding jacket... and it was even encouraged, though this was after she ran me down snowboarding and gave me a 7 stitch wound. Now i’m Thinking I should try staging another accident, if she reversed over me in the drive I bet she’d buy up the local model shop....

Back to cars.. there is definitely a lot i’ll Take from your post, perhaps I will get a second ‘basher’ to practice on.

My cousin had a hornet when we were kids, he was a few years older though, occasionally he’s be kind enough to let me watch him drive it... he was a bit of an A hole as a kid...

I wasn’t particularly phased by the build aspect, design engineer by trade so I have a fair idea how things work mechanically, that said, you’re right, there might be some unknown surprises and RC specific issues I’d fall foul of, the electronics would definitely be my weak point. As for driving, too much time on games consoles and good hand eye coordination so for now I shall assume I’m the best driver in the universe what could possibly go wrong :)

I’d love to see you jumping on your own car, did anyone witness that? Comedy gold.

Perhaps we should team up and design a new controller as per your sketch, 3D print some parts and mock one up by cannibalising some old units? I can definitely add this to my ‘model at lunchtime’ list

Right, i’d Now best go and research the cheap Tamiya basher, I have a few days before the Avante arrives..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CJ Topspin said:

Boomerang.  Because...it was my first car and I want to be different from everyone else.

Still my fave.

Now, I also like to be contrary.. perhaps I should start a poll for the the least loved and hardest to sell car and give that a home.

If you are looking at a basher as well in my opinion get a DT03 chassis buggy. The 2wd helps you learn to drive better (I now prefer that challenge to 4wd) and they are STUPID cheap. Neo Fighters can be had from German retailer for under £70 with a motor and ESC which is nuts. They are soooooo much nicer to drive than Hornets and the like, and with a couple of small tweaks to the suspension and weight distribution they are great to drive. A Racing Fighter was my first kit for nearly 30 years when I got back into RC 2 years ago. I don't regret it for a second. There is a lot of nostalgia for Hornets and Hoppers from people who had them back in the day, but having got a solid axle buggy for the kids we all find it frustrating to drive compared to my other buggies. I have a thing for the Grasshopper2 but I hate the solid axle chassis so I grafted a GH2 body onto my DT03! 

This was my adventure 

As for controllers, get a wheel. I am stuck in sticks from being into it back in the day and am stuck grafting old 27 and 40mhz radios into modern chassis.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Now, I also like to be contrary.. perhaps I should start a poll for the the least loved and hardest to sell car and give that a home.

Already beat you to it on that. I love the Grasshopper2 and the Thunder Dragon, 2 of the most spectacularly unpopular cars in Tamiyas history 😂

• Haha 1