Sign in to follow this  
Bungo

Problem with my receiver or ESC?

Hi all, 

i recently built a re-re Hornet, and it worked and drove fine for about two minutes. Then the ESC started continually beeping, and no steering or throttle is working.

the ESC is the standard Tamiya one that came with the kit: TBLE-02S.

The transmitter and receiver is a cheap no-name set I bought on eBay: Turbo Racing 2.4GHz FHSS.

I set up the high point on the ESC, and as I said it ran perfectly for about two minutes before just refusing to work. 

The ESC is emitting a continuous series of short beeps, and the LEDis flashing green with each beep. Aerial is unobstructed and not touching metal or bodywork.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Should I Factory re-set? Not sure how to do that on the cheap transmitter and receiver, the instructions that came with them from China were worse than useless (sigh, you get what you pay for)

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, I have exactly the same problem with my son's Grasshopper. However, I have a Futaba 202GF S-FHSS - which is definitely not a cheap no-name receiver!

I have a feeling it's a power problem as my receiver has no LED. 

I had just swapped out the Tamiya TEU-101BK (which had a battery output on a JST plug). I installed the TBLE-02S but it doesn't have the seperate power plug for the receiver - I just assumed it would power the receiver via the Throttle channel. Apparently not...I get the same as you - a beeping ESC and flashing green LED. After I plugged a 4xAA battery pack directly into the BAT channel on my receiver and hey presto - no error beeps from the ESC, steering and throttle work as usual. But I don't want to have a seperate battery pack in the car. 

I tried to hijack the power from the throttle lead by moving the red power cable from the throttle to a JST for the BAT channel and spliced in the black ground cable as well - no luck.

A mate suggested that the ESC may need the throttle channel calibrated or the channel needs reversing (common with Futaba gear). I'll try these and let you know how it goes. 

I also posted this in an RC group on Facebook, and someone suggested turning off the low voltage cutoff on the ESC.

I did this, and the problem is completely solved.

thanks people!

Bungo

• Like 1

Great! Glad it's sorted :D  

I managed to figure mine out too - blown ESC! After some mucking around with settings and no luck in getting rid of the error, I tried to remove it from the car and accidentally ripped the top of the ESC's case off. This exposed some burnt out internal components. The case was slightly warped from heat too - probably why it came apart so easily! 

A little annoying that it has blown but also good to get to the bottom of the weird behaviour. I plugged another TBLE-02S into the Grasshopper's RX and it all worked as expected - no additional power pack required for the BAT channel.