Sign in to follow this  
SuperChamp82

Vintage Mountaineer Tyres

Trying to avoid a Sand Scorcher / Wild Willy tyre gaff ...

Are vintage Mountaineer tyres the same as factory lead time siblings - maybe 2 years either side of 1992 ?

So Bush Devil, Super Blackfoot - maybe Bull Head, Clod Buster ?

Mountaineer has a hook in the tread design.  It's the same design as the regular Blackfoot.  

Bush Devil, King Blackfoot, Super Blackfoot, Blackfoot 3, Wild Dagger, Twin Detonator, Monster Beetle have a different design (with spikes).  Bullhead and Clod tires are entirely different in size. They are much bigger. 

bqwb0sT.jpg

• Thanks 1

Someone correct me if I have this wrong, but as I remember:

The original Blackfoot (and the re-release) have the same pattern as the Bruiser and Mountaineer, but the heavier three-speed trucks got tires that were a stiffer compound and had slightly thicker sidewalls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, OCD you're correct original mounty tyres while interchangeable with Blackfoot, they were a much stiffer compound... 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Superb - thanks guys.

How do you tell vintage tyres from Bruiser / Mountain Rider re re ?

Cracks in the sidewall, dried out hard compound, funny smell, worn pattern. Could all be tell tales ;)

• Haha 3

lol... waterbok cracked me up...

If you are not particular about the original, SuperChamp, I reckon Blackfoot's tires can be used just fine.  They feel slightly heftier than Monster Beetle tires and the 3speeds have springs that are too stiff anyway.  Might as well use tiny bit softer tires.  Except, I would keep the car off the shelf.  All tires develop flat spots, 3-speeds would be worse.  

If you are particular about the original, then as waterbok said, older tires in good conditions are really hard to come by.  

Or you can get re-re blackfoot tires, leave them for a few years.  My vintage Blackfoot tires are harder than re-re tires. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juggular said:

Or you can get re-re blackfoot tires, leave them for a few years.  My vintage Blackfoot tires are harder than re-re tires. 

You know, for years Tamiyaclubers would search for ways to soften old, hardened tires. Now we need a way to harden new tires. Is this coming full circle?;)

• Haha 2

I was wondering if the Chinese copy of the Bruiser would have tires for sale.