Sign in to follow this  
slimleeroy

Marui shogun body on tamiya

Hi my first hobby RC car was a shogun by marui.  I can not afford a vintage nib car so want to buy the tbg body shell and fit to another car.  Are there any tamiya this would fit?  It looks like it would fit my re re kyosho Optima as the layout of the shocks and motor is similar.  Can anyone shed some light please.  Thanks

Wheel base & shock layout is close enough on the Optima. The battery is mounted length ways in the Shogun, would the Shogun body be wide enough to fit cars where that battery is mounted width ways? Need someone to measure the width. 

I thought of Vanquish or Egress (Avante family)... (or Manta Ray? it was re-released this year)  Rear towers seem kinda tall for both, so I don't know if they'd fit...

3ldb54W.jpg

L7wjSlr.jpg

The Optima has a nice thin chassis so as long as the battery fit width ways I think it would be ok.   I think I will just bite the bullet and buy one to try.  The manta rays shocks are all wrong.  Front ones are too upright and rears on wrong side of wishbone. 

Actually I did look into this to use the manta ray/blazing star drivetrain as a basis for a Ninja, which was nearly the same chassis as a Shogun .

I would like these classics to run too with modern parts for maintenance.

First impression was it showed potential, but needs custom shock towers especially on the rear as these shocks need to move forward to line up with the body holes, and custom chassis plates to hold the gearboxes.
Edit: I see the Shogun shocks sit more 'horizontal' comared to the Ninja, but still needs adjustment and custom shock mounting.

Also, because the motor is then in front of the rear axle instead of behind it as Marui did, battery placement is a though one, possibly needs conversion to a shorty lipo.

I still want to do a mock-up, but that will be a long-term thing.

I got curious so took some pictures with a un-cut replica Shogun body on my Blazing Star chassis. It was actually very suprising!

The Shogun body is much wider in the middle, so it fits over the sideways battery case! (The Ninja shell does not fit as its too narrow, hence the modicications I want to do for a ninja).
Also, the cut-outs in the body for the front suspension shocks look like they might actually clear the existing set-up.In the rear, the shocks may need some form of lowering so they do not stick through the body.

HZscdXM.jpg

Just behind the front gearbox and the steering rack, the chassis is 80mm wide, the body is 75mm, but it will flex over it I guess. The front mounting post can be alligned with the body's original mounting hole.

UHS3sT8.jpg

Note: in the pictures, I flipped the rear lower suspension arms, and mounted the shocks in front of the arms. Normally they are in the rear.I did this to see if I could get the rear shocks in the proper position to stick through a Ninja body.