Sign in to follow this  
Juggular

How to wire an AC motor?

I have a broken window ventilation thingy with 3 fans. The switch is fried or something. I doubt that AC motors themselves would go bad (can they?).  

Can I solder a 110v wire directly to 1 motor and make it a permanent fan? 

Another AC motor (for the bathroom fan) simply has a 2 inch long 110v wire with a plug.  When I was cleaning that 50 year old fan, I did not see any control unit or anything.  I just oiled it, and plugged it back in.  (Pennsylvania has radon issues.  Above 4pCi/L requires a forced ventilation.  We only get half.  But I would rather have none.  So I always have a small fan on to blow out air from the crawl space, through the gap in the ceiling joist around the chimney.  If I can revive 3 fans, they could be useful for years.)  

I thought I should ask for some wisdom before messing with AC 110v. (not that I have not zapped myself with 110v a few times before...)

Just saw this post (or I would have responded sooner)

1. You're in Pennsylvania? Like Pennsylvania USA? Cheltenham sounds very British to me, lol

2. Be certain they are 120V/60Hz AC fans, and not the very unlikely case they are some sort of fancy Yur'pean-jobs that require rectification. Otherwise a well-soldered connection to a plugged cord is fine. I'd recommend wire nuts if you'd rather not fuss with solder.

3. Good to ask for advice first, but always remember that "free" advice on the internet is worth just that: nothing of substance ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1.  lol... yep, Cheltenham, PA is a very old town.  It probably was named by the English settlers.  I just passed by an old church the other day, and snapped a photo.  It doesn't look very "American."  Who knows, it might have been built by the English also.  The Frankford Ave Bridge (also known as King's Highway Bridge back in the days) was built 1697.  It is the oldest bridge still in use in America.  

FLdRbGy.jpg

Also, it's a small town.  

We even have a one-man SWAT team.  And a K-9.  

d6XMLPT.jpg

2.  Thank you!  I'll give it a try! 

3.  I feel better having asked and answered.  (Though I might still zap myself...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry, not related to American ac units... but my partner is descended from William Penn, and talking of history... that’s a nice looking new church, our village church is dated from 675ad :)

One of these days we’ll make it over your way and see what her namesake started, trace some family roots.

Love the one man swat team, I’d definitely have that printed on pretty much everything I own, shirts, business cards, on the side of my new Avante  :) 

• Haha 1

Are you sure his colleagues didn’t set him up? “Dave, don’t forget tomorrow is team photo day and we’re all going in full combats”.. You guys!!!  Gotta feel for Carl though, they told him it was dress like a dog day.

• Haha 3

Wow, a descendant of William Penn!  You don't see that everyday (except you).  

On 10/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, Juggular said:

1.  lol... yep, Cheltenham, PA is a very old town.  It probably was named by the English settlers.  I just passed by an old church the other day, and snapped a photo.  It doesn't look very "American."  Who knows, it might have been built by the English also.  The Frankford Ave Bridge (also known as King's Highway Bridge back in the days) was built 1697.  It is the oldest bridge still in use in America.  

FLdRbGy.jpg

Also, it's a small town.  

We even have a one-man SWAT team.  And a K-9.  

d6XMLPT.jpg

2.  Thank you!  I'll give it a try! 

3.  I feel better having asked and answered.  (Though I might still zap myself...)

I too always assumed Cheltenham was in the U.K.!   Weird, I think you're only an hour and half away from were I live in New Jersey!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I too always assumed Cheltenham was in the U.K.!   Weird, I think you're only an hour and half away from were I live in New Jersey!

Same here. Your're only about 2 hours away from me.

21 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Same here. Your're only about 2 hours away from me.

Really?  Where abouts do you live?