Saito2

Trouble sleeping, suggestions?

I'm getting the impression most of us have had sleep issues somewhere along the line, I thought it was just me! 

I found I was on a loosing battle, as even before going to bed, I was starting to worry about not being able to sleep. I started doing things like, changing the pillow case for a new one, told myself id have a great sleep,which calmed my mind a bit. 

As said , lists, they do my wife's head in, but I can't structure without a list! 

Rc list, 1:1 car list, jobs around the house list etc, and a note pad and pen by the, so if something does pop into my head, I extract it and write it down.

With the 1:1 car, I found I was pulling my hair out looking for the part I needed, working an average 70hrs a week and 2 young kids, means I might only turn a spanner in the garage every 6 months, and with parts at various addresses in 2 countries, it gets ridiculous. So one day, I completely emptied the summer house, took a box of parts, layed them all on the lawn, took a pic with my phone (with the numbered box in shot) and did that with all the boxes, then moved to the loft, the shed, the garage and then when I vistsed the folks, Did it there too! Now I've I picture list with box number and location, so I can just flick though and at least know if the part I need is in the same country 🙄😀

I've not 100% sorted my sleep out, I work shifts, which really doesn't help, and find myself staying awake for 30+hrs after my last nightshift, otherwise it takes me days to sort myself out.

Work wise, a hectic working environment surely can't be doing anyone any favours, searching for stuff is inefficient, frustrating and unnecessary.

I got a small magnetic white board as a stocking filler, and is actually stuck on the bonnet (hood) with a list of jobs on it, maybe a colour coded board, with colour coded boxes for parts would help? 

I suffered with sleeping issues for around 10 years due to work related stress. Not that it was a high pressure position or anything, which most people assume is the only cause of stress. I was a Class 1/ HGV driver for a supermarket chain. The stress arose from different shift starts and different shift lengths from one day to the next, that coupled with different rest patterns every week. On top of that eating and going to bed at different times everyday compounded my problems. The shifts I worked could be anything from 8hrs to 15hrs.  Long story short I have a new job now, Mon-Fri,every day has the same start time and finish. I know it's easy to say, but if your Job is the route of your stress and anxiety...you need to change jobs. Took me about 3 years to get into a good place mentally to make the jump, but the benefits are a vastly better life/work balance. You get one go round at life, don't be stuck in a job you resent.

I really do hope things improve for you.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 11:55 PM, djmcnz said:

Through trial and error we found a solution and now I take 20mg of Amitriptyline a day, don't need sleeping pills, sleep like a baby, wake up clear and have no side effects... my life is now relative bliss.

I took this for a while about 12 years ago, for a digestive condition.  Actually they were prescribed with the aim of giving me a good night's sleep so my body had time to digest the food I'd eaten.  They worked really well for sleep and they helped the digestive condition, but I couldn't handle the nightmares.  Wow, such freaky nightmares, so real and so unable to wake up from.  I couldn't keep up with that.

• Sad 1

On 11/20/2018 at 12:43 PM, Mad Ax said:

I took this for a while about 12 years ago, for a digestive condition.  Actually they were prescribed with the aim of giving me a good night's sleep so my body had time to digest the food I'd eaten.  They worked really well for sleep and they helped the digestive condition, but I couldn't handle the nightmares.  Wow, such freaky nightmares, so real and so unable to wake up from.  I couldn't keep up with that.

I used to take tablets for a condition and they caused vivid dreams that were so real i would think for days afterwards they had really happened. I’d say to girlfriend (now wife) “remember when...” or “you were there!” and it would slowly dawn on me that i had dreamt it. Horrible!

Thankfully not nightmares though. 

I’ve been in the UK for the last 3 days and I’ve never slept so bad !

its after 2am and I’m still wide awake - I’ve tried everything even walked 6 miles to Tower Hill yesterday and yet here iam still awake !

It the body clock I think and a different environment plus different seasons .

I have cut out caffeine as much as practical without going mad and am sleeping so much better.