jongrill

Looking for a sensored brushless motor to pair with Hobbywing XR10 Justock ESC

Hey friends,

I'm looking for recommendations for a 21.5 or 17.5T motor to pair with a Hobbywing XeRun XR10 Justock ESC. I'm looking to spend around $75 for a motor. The combo will be for either a TT02 or XV-01. I am not racing - this is purely for going fast and bashing. 

I was looking at the Ecopower Sling Shot 17.5 turn...seems like a good motor. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

I have the slingshot 13.5, both get good reviews for a  cheaper sensored motor. Mine was in my re re monster beetle until i sold it. 

54 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

I have the slingshot 13.5, both get good reviews for a  cheaper sensored motor. Mine was in my re re monster beetle until i sold it. 

Do you run the motor with stock plastic gears? 

For bashing I would look at Trackstar or SkyRC Ares motors as they are reasonably cheap. There is also the Surpass V4s which I really want to try in my 2wd buggy but don't need a new motor for it. You can get the outlaw version too since you don't need to meet any class rules. 

What FDR can you achieve with either car? You really want FDR under 4 for the 21.5T and I'd guess about 5 for 17.5T. It could be worth considering 13.5T as its easier to gear properly. 

14 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

For bashing I would look at Trackstar or SkyRC Ares motors as they are reasonably cheap. There is also the Surpass V4s which I really want to try in my 2wd buggy but don't need a new motor for it. You can get the outlaw version too since you don't need to meet any class rules. 

What FDR can you achieve with either car? You really want FDR under 4 for the 21.5T and I'd guess about 5 for 17.5T. It could be worth considering 13.5T as its easier to gear properly. 

Thanks for the recommendations. We might of talked about this before but can you explain to me or point me in the right director of what FDR is and how to figure it out? 

24 minutes ago, jongrill said:

Do you run the motor with stock plastic gears? 

I had an mip ball diff but everything else was stock

11 minutes ago, jongrill said:

Thanks for the recommendations. We might of talked about this before but can you explain to me or point me in the right director of what FDR is and how to figure it out? 

The formula is Spur / Pinion x Internal ratio. Most cars have a table in them showing the FDR for a given pinion and spur combo though for quick reference. If you get the high speed gear set and Yeah Racing motor mount then you have pretty much unlimited options, as the hogh speed gear set has an adapter to fit any normal spur and the yeah racy mount has slots instead of holes so you can set the mesh.

As for standard gears, they should be fine for these brushless motors. I have run a 13.5T with boost in a TT02B and only had a problem with the diff ring gear, but the standard TT02 should put less stress on the diff.

52 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The formula is Spur / Pinion x Internal ratio. Most cars have a table in them showing the FDR for a given pinion and spur combo though for quick reference. If you get the high speed gear set and Yeah Racing motor mount then you have pretty much unlimited options, as the hogh speed gear set has an adapter to fit any normal spur and the yeah racy mount has slots instead of holes so you can set the mesh.

As for standard gears, they should be fine for these brushless motors. I have run a 13.5T with boost in a TT02B and only had a problem with the diff ring gear, but the standard TT02 should put less stress on the diff.

I have the high speed gear set and the YR motor mount ready to go for my new build (white version!). I found this photo of the table from the high speed set and going off your last post none of these ratios would work. If that is the case, would I change the pinion, spur or both? I also am now considering the 13.5T has you have suggested! 

D974B3EB-CFA8-48C8-90B6-1151FB946BBC.jpeg

The 64T spur is getting close with the bigger pinions for the 17.5T. I run either 5.5 or 6.5 (would have to check to be sure) in my 4wd buggy with a 17.5T motor, but of course thats with bigger wheels than a touring car. I also need to run a fan to keep the temperature in check, but have a lot of timing dialled in on the motor endbell.

I would buy a 13.5T motor, the 64T spur and a few pinions near the top of that range, and prbably try to get a smaller spur to try out as well.

One thing I should have asked too, what ESC are you running? Is it blinky or will you be adding timing or boost? If you are adding timing in the ESC then you need a higher FDR

18 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The 64T spur is getting close with the bigger pinions for the 17.5T. I run either 5.5 or 6.5 (would have to check to be sure) in my 4wd buggy with a 17.5T motor, but of course thats with bigger wheels than a touring car. I also need to run a fan to keep the temperature in check, but have a lot of timing dialled in on the motor endbell.

I would buy a 13.5T motor, the 64T spur and a few pinions near the top of that range, and prbably try to get a smaller spur to try out as well.

One thing I should have asked too, what ESC are you running? Is it blinky or will you be adding timing or boost? If you are adding timing in the ESC then you need a higher FDR

I am looking at a Hobbywing XR10 Justock Combo or just the Justock ESC and a different motor. I don’t race so bling and boost aren’t something I’m looking for in a ESC. 

Is is there a certain set of pinions you recommend? 

Another vote for Trackstar - I have one in my Bushy D...

But I'm a total n00b when it comes to brushless, so my thoughts aren't worth much...

Terry

Duh, it was in the title. Yeah the justock is a blinky or spec class ESC. Most race classes at my club are blinky, only mod allows boost etc. In that case it would be good to get FDR from 4.8 to 6 for 13.5T, and adjust based on where you're running (bigger area = lower FDR) and motor temperature.

I have Yeah Racing coated pinions and they are holding up fine. Cheap from RCMart so you can buy a range of them. I have other brands as well and I'm pretty sure they're all the same, just come in a different packet. 

9 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Duh, it was in the title. Yeah the justock is a blinky or spec class ESC. Most race classes at my club are blinky, only mod allows boost etc. In that case it would be good to get FDR from 4.8 to 6 for 13.5T, and adjust based on where you're running (bigger area = lower FDR) and motor temperature.

I have Yeah Racing coated pinions and they are holding up fine. Cheap from RCMart so you can buy a range of them. I have other brands as well and I'm pretty sure they're all the same, just come in a different packet. 

No worries! I’m going to look at Trackstar as well! Let’s hope whatever combo I by has a chart...

9 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Another vote for Trackstar - I have one in my Bushy D...

But I'm a total n00b when it comes to brushless, so my thoughts aren't worth much...

Terry

I’m a total n00b as well...did you by a combo? 

You don't need to buy a combo or use the same brand ESC and motor. As long as they are both sensored and the ESC can handle the current draw you are fine.

I have the Trackstar 80amp Turbo ESC and Trackstar motors which I bought separately and they go well, although 1 motor has died and the other on its way out after almost 2 seasons of racing. I bought Speed Passion and Orca combos as it was cheaper than buying separately. 

1 hour ago, jongrill said:

No worries! I’m going to look at Trackstar as well! Let’s hope whatever combo I by has a chart...

I’m a total n00b as well...did you by a combo? 

Yeah, I bought a motor/ESC combo.  Pretty much plug and play. 

I'll try to look up the model number later tonight...

Terry

4 hours ago, jongrill said:

So... stupid question... what is and where do you find internal ratio? 

You can work it out if the Final Drive Ratios are in the manual. Find a FDR for a particular pinion and spur gear combination. Divide the number of pinion teeth by the spur gear teeth. Multiply the result by the FDR for that gear combination and that is your internal ratio. Not sure on road is different to buggies but a lot of 1/10th scale has an internal ratio around 2.6

• Like 1

Onroad generally have a lower internal ratio than offroad. Onroad are around 1.85 - 2.15 generally depending on thr car. Like @ThunderDragonCy says, the buggies are usually around 2.6.

I suspect the TT02 is 2.15, same as the TA07 Pro, but don't know for certain