TurnipJF

Turnip restores a Sand Scorcher for Grumpy pants

This thread will detail the restoration of the Sand Scorcher belonging to @Grumpy pants.

I retrieved it from the local UPS "depot" (actually a dodgy corner shop) earlier this evening, and brought it home to find the following:

2018-11-02_06-41-32

It looks a bit worn and sandy, but certainly not the worst example out there by a long shot. With a good cleaning, a fresh chassis plate and a few other bits, it should turn out very nicely! :)

• Like 5

Awesome stuff super excited about this thread!

The Sand Scorcher was the 1st Tamiya I saw when my mate got one for his birthday about 35 years ago and then I saved up for a Hilux.

This one is a rere and woefully unreliable but it will be run gently from now on and one of the few I will keep. 

Thanks TJF for taking her on 👍

• Like 3

It’s in good hands, bet it won’t be recognisable to the the owner when it’s finished ( especially if TJF accidentally ships back a DT02 chassis in its place lol) 😂 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I hope to do a proper job on this one - it is the first time I have had the opportunity to work on such a significant car in the Tamiya range, so re-re or not, it will be getting the star treatment.

Just need to get my mate's F104 Pro II off the building board first, as I agreed to build his car before I took on the Sand Scorcher resto. (In my defence, since it is an early Christmas present to himself, I was expecting to be building it closer to Christmas time, but ah well...)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I hope to do a proper job on this one - it is the first time I have had the opportunity to work on such a significant car in the Tamiya range, so re-re or not, it will be getting the star treatment.

Just need to get my mate's F104 Pro II off the building board first, as I agreed to build his car before I took on the Sand Scorcher resto. (In my defence, since it is an early Christmas present to himself, I was expecting to be building it closer to Christmas time, but ah well...)

Take your time TJF enjoy the strip down and build, there is no rush to get it back to me.

I am delighted with your help as well, thank you! 

• Like 1

Having got as far as I could with the f104 Pro II build until tomorrow's parts delivery, I decided to have a closer look at the Sand Scorcher.

2018-11-04_04-46-31

The car came with a humpback battery fitted, as well as several other parts including a Mtroniks waterproof ESC, heat shrink and connectors, a perspex front bumper and used motor cage in good condition, 2 butter containers containing numerous nuts, bolts and other fittings (some of which will be used to build a strut brace), a new chassis plate, new motor cover and new tie rods. There was also a Flysky radio in the box, not pictured.

I opened up the radio box and unplugged the drive battery, which I will put on my charger to cycle a few times as I suspect it might be in need of a little bit of TLC.

• Like 3

Several of the bolts and grub screws  show a fair bit of corrosion, so this evening after work I went around the chassis with penetrating oil, putting a little on each corroded fastener. This should make it easier to get everything apart when the time comes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Several of the bolts and grub screws  show a fair bit of corrosion, so this evening after work I went around the chassis with penetrating oil, putting a little on each corroded fastener. This should make it easier to get everything apart when the time comes. 

That’s the salt and sand from our last holiday in Wales.

Great holiday all round with some cheeky Tamiya time as a bonus 👍

Hopefully the oil does the job! 

• Like 2

@Grumpy pants Couple of quick questions.

Which ESC would you like me to use? The Tamiya or the Mtroniks?

And would you like me to upgrade the battery connections on both with the connectors you supplied? Or is the idea to have one set of connectors between battery and ESC and the other between ESC and motor? (I can see arguments for both approaches - let me know which you would like me to follow.)

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

@Grumpy pants Couple of quick questions.

Which ESC would you like me to use? The Tamiya or the Mtroniks?

And would you like me to upgrade the battery connections on both with the connectors you supplied? Or is the idea to have one set of connectors between battery and ESC and the other between ESC and motor? (I can see arguments for both approaches - let me know which you would like me to follow.)

That’s amazing thank you.

Would you change the connectors on everything and fit the Tamiya ESC to the Scorcher please.

The idea is to fit XT60 all round and move away from the molunex connectors. 

I’ve just reread your message TJF and I would like the connectors between the ESC and motor to stay as they are please.

It is the ESC and battery connectors I would like changed please.

Thank you!

No problem, I will get those soldered up for you.

Tried a few of the more corroded-looking grub screws this morning - looks like the penetrating oil has done its work - they came out with minimal fuss.

Can't wait to get stuck in with this project - nearly finished the F104 Pro II build, then it will be full focus on this one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

No problem, I will get those soldered up for you.

Tried a few of the more corroded-looking grub screws this morning - looks like the penetrating oil has done its work - they came out with minimal fuss.

Can't wait to get stuck in with this project - nearly finished the F104 Pro II build, then it will be full focus on this one!

That’s amazing, thank you.

I feel like a big kid waiting for Christmas!

Have fun TJF 👍

• Haha 1

The penetrating oil has done it's job, allowing me to separate the chassis into front, middle and rear sections without having to resort to drilling out any fasteners.

2018-11-13_11-15-56

I can see why a replacement chassis was supplied - the original is very warped!

The radio gear has been removed from the radio box, which is soaking in a sink full of soapy water in preparation for a thorough cleaning.

2018-11-13_11-15-43

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Taking apart the servo saver gave a bit of cause for concern.

2018-11-13_12-20-27

Is it my imagination, or is there a piece missing?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Taking apart the servo saver gave a bit of cause for concern.

2018-11-13_12-20-27

Is it my imagination, or is there a piece missing?

That’s good news, yes the chassis has had a hard life....the body shell is in similar condition tbh. 

The servo saver is missing the circlip/spring, there should be a spare in the Tupperware of screws. 

Great progress so far 👍

6 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

The servo saver is missing the circlip/spring, there should be a spare in the Tupperware of screws. 

I found the spare circlip, but there also appears to be a piece of plastic missing from part E4, which should be a mirror image of E1. I suspect that a replacement 10005128 sprue might be needed, unless anyone has a E4 part going spare?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I found the spare circlip, but there also appears to be a piece of plastic missing from part E4, which should be a mirror image of E1. I suspect that a replacement 10005128 sprue might be needed, unless anyone has a E4 part going spare?

Ah yes now I see the problem!

I’ll have look in my spares as well TJF and let you know.

Best wishes

Simon 

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Ah yes now I see the problem!

I’ll have look in my spares as well TJF and let you know.

Best wishes

Simon 

Ok well I haven’t got that part TJF  but I have found a NIP old stock Super Champ servo saver and associated parts which might be a strong alternative as I want to use my NOS Suoer Champ steering rods....

Does anyone know if this idea will work? 

225CC103-16C8-4021-BC31-FA80CA8F28EB.jpeg

It will work, does the NIP Super Champ servo saver include the the body post for a Super Champ if not you will need one. If the Sand Scorcher is a re-re you will also need the old style front body post to go over the Super Champ body post.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Finman said:

It will work, does the NIP Super Champ servo saver include the the body post for a Super Champ if not you will need one. If the Sand Scorcher is a re-re you will also need the old style front body post to go over the Super Champ body post.

That’s great, thank you!

TJF so we have a vintage body post in the spares? 

If not I’ll make a TC request. 

All sorted, I’ve just bought the Vintage front body post TJF.

When arrives to me I’ll send it to you with the other fitting to go with it. 

All the best

Simon 

Excellent! I eagerly await their arrival.  Plenty to be getting on with in the interim. :)

• Like 1