TurnipJF

Turnip restores a Sand Scorcher for Grumpy pants

Fair enough TJF.

I don’t have any use for it, you are welcome to repurpose it yourself or scrap it. 

All the best

Simon 

• Thanks 1

You never know - it may come in handy for something at some point. Are you sue you don't want it back? I am unlikely to own a SRB in anything other than the very distant future, so I'll be happy to clean it up and send it back with the completed vehicle. It won't add anything to the postage cost I wouldn't think.

• Thanks 1

That’s a great offer TJF, but I would say either rehome the chassis or bin it.

If the front bumper is bent then that can go as well.

Same with the rear engine cage and clear cases for both the motor and gearbox that come off it.

All the best

Simon 

• Like 1

And you are welcome to rummage through the Lurpack container and help yourself to anything in there you would find useful. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

And you are welcome to rummage through the Lurpack container and help yourself to anything in there you would find useful. 

Thanks! That is most kind of you. 

• Like 1

The rere front body post is spare as well TJF.

You are welcome to keep the one that you took off as well. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Not often you get an offer like that :P

• Haha 1

Quite a lot of "real life" has been happening around here of late, and while most of it has been positive, it has resulted in not a great deal of spare time for RC. I have thus been feeling rather guilty about the slow pace of the resto so far, so today I put aside the whole day to work on this project. 

Most of the time was spent with toothbrush and toothpaste, trying to get an acceptable finish on the cast metal parts. This is the result:

20181127_154312

Not quite the better-than-new shine I was hoping for, but a lot better than they were when I started. They are currently soaking in TF2, which claims to have surface protective properties. This may not help resist future tarnishing, but it won't do them any harm. 

I reckon they are ready for reassembly. 😀

• Thanks 1

The fasteners and other ferrous metal parts are responding well to Hammerite rust remover dip. 

2018-11-27_04-37-36

Hopefully they too will be ready for reassembly come the morning. 

• Like 1

An area in which I have been less than successful is with the bearings.

20181127_154408

In most cases the corrosion has affected the races themselves, so even after a good cleaning they run rough. 

I have some metal-shielded bearings in my stash that I am happy to donate to the cause, but no rubber-sealed ones I'm afraid.

I could fit metal-shielded ones in the gearbox and use the least corroded rubber-sealed ones in the exposed locations, fit metal-shielded ones throughout, or you could get it a new set of rubber-sealed ones. What would be your preference?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

An area in which I have been less than successful is with the bearings.

20181127_154408

In most cases the corrosion has affected the races themselves, so even after a good cleaning they run rough. 

I have some metal-shielded bearings in my stash that I am happy to donate to the cause, but no rubber-sealed ones I'm afraid.

I could fit metal-shielded ones in the gearbox and use the least corroded rubber-sealed ones in the exposed locations, fit metal-shielded ones throughout, or you could get it a new set of rubber-sealed ones. What would be your preference?

Throw them all away TJF and I’ll order new and then send them up to you.

Can you give me a head count of what is required rubber shielded or plain please 👍

Looks like 8 rubber shielded? 

All the best

Simon 

Please don’t feel guilty in anyway shape or form.

I am delighted with your help and there is no rush as far as I’m concerned. 

I have 4 more Tamiya sitting in my wardrobe that have been waiting at least 4-5 years for this kind of treatment, which is why I have recently sold 4 others and I have just kept 6. 

• Thanks 1

Rubber sealed bearing set purchased.

I’ll send all the parts required in one hit TJF.

Just shout if you need me to purchase any other bits and bobs 👍 

That makes sense. I'll let you know if anything else is needed. 

• Thanks 1

Great stuff! As soon as the bearings arrive, the gearbox will be going back together. All the parts are ready! 

• Thanks 1

The last of the parts have arrived:

20181207_125006

Nothing should now stand between us and successful reassembly of the model. Nothing except time that is. I was hoping to use some of my off-duty time this week to work on the model, but the parts took longer to arrive than anticipated and I am back on duty tomorrow so it will have to wait a bit. 

It should go back together pretty quickly when time allows though, as all the parts are cleaned, prepped and ready. Watch this space! :)

• Thanks 2

And so we get to the really fun part - reassembly!

Front end back together, cleaned and freshly greased:

20181211_192424

Gearbox going back together with clean gears and casings, new bearings and fresh grease:

20181211_200853

Gearbox attached to new Radshape chassis plate, fitted with new spur gear cover and motor cover:

20181211_215759

With both ends attached to the chassis, it is starting to look like a car again:

20181211_215714

The front mounting hole in the left shock tower casting was either stripped or drilled out, so I put a nyloc nut on there to secure it. I added one to the other side too for visual symmetry.

The chassis plate appears to be good and sturdy, and apart from what appears to be a tooling mark across the front, is finished well too. 

• Thanks 1

It looks amazing TJF!

On the home stretch I would say.

I noticed the front suspension assembly is missing the middle (3rd) support bar between the uprights, would you mind adding it back in please...

I originally took it out as the bent chassis meant the servo saver kept getting jammed and I could only drive around in  right hand circles 😂

6 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

It looks amazing TJF!

On the home stretch I would say.

I noticed the front suspension assembly is missing the middle (3rd) support bar between the uprights, would you mind adding it back in please...

I originally took it out as the bent chassis meant the servo saver kept getting jammed and I could only drive around in  right hand circles 😂

Sure, will do!

I thought you may have left it out in order to make the chassis more closely resemble that of a full-size beetle with its two horizontal tubes.

• Thanks 1

Right, so we have a few issues:

2018-12-12_10-46-03

The Super Champ servo saver fits the chassis, but appears to lack a means of attaching the Scorcher front body post. I am guessing that the Super Champ body post referred to by @Finman back on Page 1 was not included with the servo saver after all, as the pack didn't have any holes in it through which parts could have escaped.  

Three possible courses of action present themselves. You could source/send a Super Champ body post, source/send a replacement for the broken Sand Scorcher servo saver in order to return to stock spec, or I could just proceed as far as possible with the parts available and then send the car back to you for you to source and fit the required parts at your leisure.

We face a similar dilemma with the tierods. The upgraded ones are beautiful pieces of miniature engineering, but don't work with the small brass ball connectors used by the stock setup. Instead the balls are integral with the adjusters and they need to be attached with the car with small machine screws. I have looked through the screws you sent, as well as my own stash, and couldn't find any of the right size. 

Once again our options are source/send the required bits, revert to the stock arrangement, or I proceed as far as possible and return the car for you to complete at your leisure.

How would you like to proceed?

• Thanks 1

It isn't all doom and gloom though, the front brace has been fitted and very nice it looks too!

2018-12-12_01-33-39

One of the pieces of alloy tube you supplied was an almost ideal fit. It just needed a fraction of a millimetre filed off each end to slot in perfectly.

• Like 1

I could do with some advice from SRB aficionados on this next one. The car is fitted with these aftermarket shocks which I believe come from RC Channel.

2018-12-12_01-35-22

I have tried filling them according to the instructions for the standard SRB shocks, I have tried filling them according to the instructions for Hornet shocks which are internally similar, I have tried filling them as I would a set of CVAs, and each time they lock up almost solid. It appears that as the shaft goes into the shock, it tries to take up internal volume already occupied by non-compressible oil that has nowhere to go.

The only way I can get any sort of movement out of them is if I treat them as aeration dampers and only partially fill them with oil.

Is this how they are supposed to be filled, or is there a trick here that I am missing?

• Confused 1