TurnipJF

Turnip restores a Sand Scorcher for Grumpy pants

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

Arrived today! 

Excellent! :D

• Like 1

The high torque servo saver arrived the other day, and I installed it this evening. 

2019-01-02_09-07-43

I am very pleased with this mod. There is virtually no slop in the steering. Furthermore, by placing the servo as far forward as possible and moving the outer tierod links to the top of the uprights, I have been able to install the servo saver pointing upright while also virtually eliminating bump steer. 

Next up: fabricating closures for the radio box and installing the rest of the electrics. 

• Thanks 1

This looks fabulous TJF and the strut brace is the icing on the cake.

Being a rere I’m happy about this model being modified and improved as well. 

I want it too look and feel like a Scorcher but with a few small improvements to make a more enjoyable driver. 

The battery box is useful to me as the car will get wet and dusty, but it is also very much a SRB item that takes me back to the early 80’s when my best mate had a Sand Scorcher which is why I am keen to retain it 👍

I’ve just realised it’s like triggers broom this car now-

3rd bumper

3rd chassis

2nd Set of bearings

2nd rear cage

2nd Set of motor covers

2nd Set of shocks

2nd motor

2nd body shell

2nd stinger & exhaust

2nd set of shock towers

2nd set of uprights

2nd servo saver....

Time to stop spending money on it and to drive it more sedately 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The radio box has a closed front end:

2019-01-03_08-25-07

The black Plasticard closure piece seals to the radio box with self adhesive foam strips.

It isn't going to win any design awards, but it is functional and easily removable should a better solution come along. 

I will use the old steering pushrod hole as an entry point for the steering servo cable, and add a piece of craft foam to keep debris at bay once the cable is in place

• Thanks 1

Do you think the top of the redundant receiver box is big enough to be cut down and used as a blanking plate TJF? 

12 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Do you think the top of the redundant receiver box is big enough to be cut down and used as a blanking plate TJF? 

Possibly, but not by me. :)

I never have much luck cutting that hard transparent plastic without it cracking, and I don't want to ruin a perfectly serviceable part in the full expectation that there will be nothing useful to show for it in the end. 

I will of course include the piece with the car when it is returned, so you can have a go if you like, or see if another forum member is willing to do so on your behalf. 

• Like 1

And we are done!

2019-01-06_01-57-34

Electrics are in and tested, trims and endpoints are set, the obligatory test run across the lounge carpet has been completed without incident, now all that remains is for it to be reunited with its owner!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow, wow and wow, TJF you are my Tamiya hero thank you! 

It would never had happened without you and this is model will now be looked after and driven with care. 

Amazing, utterly delighted 👍.

Can’t wait to get her home 💥

• Like 1

Great ending to a great journey, I am excited for Grumpy to get it back because honestly it will be so pleasurable seeing it now fully restored, it’s like his baby but has been raised for a couple years by a grand master in Karate and Social economic politics - point being... its now got new skills and is much much improved over when it left him :)

Enjoy it forever now and well done Mr TJF

• Like 2

Courier booked and super excited, feel like a big kid before Christmas! 

My kids and wife to be don’t really get it and just give me bemused smiles 😂

But my gorgeous 11 year old daughter will help me choose a set of wheels and tyres for show and a set for go! 

The package has started its journey - I've just got back from dropping it off at the courier collection point. 

Hope it has a safe trip!

• Thanks 1

Arrived home yesterday safe and sound!

Looks fantastic, so many things I like about this car particularly now it’s been rebuilt and updated.

Thank you TJF once again I’m delighted. 

• Like 1

Unpacked and admired properly, absolutely delighted on every level with this car now.

I particularly like the front end with the retro bumper, strut brace and the steering mod is awesome.

I’ll replace the exhaust and stinger, make a clear blanking plate for the battery box, remove the servo lugs and choose a set of tyres and wheels and that’s me happy as a Sand boy with a new Sand Scorcher. Thank you TJF 👍

9D253BE8-67F7-4444-9BDD-3A6DDE06109F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My TC recommended gel pen arrived yesterday for the tyre lettering.

2 of my daughters are coming to stay this weekend so I can bore them senseless with which wheels and tyres to use 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TJF, we have wheels at long last 👍

Exhaust next and then a 2nd set of wheels and tyres, that will take me until Christmas 😂

8D5B2776-16C2-4F3B-8F70-E03C6F3E9F20.jpeg

• Like 2

Wipers painted and fitted and my 2nd set of wheels and tyres.

2 little jobs to do sometime in the future, but for me this bug is now finished and the best it has ever been.

Thank you TJF it would never have happened without your generosity 👍

3E212921-7905-4AF1-8F75-ED1FC1BD4357.jpeg

• Like 5