Jason1145

Suggest a chespish esc with programmable braking via set button

It’s what I know and like using, setting ESC parameters ( punch, brake force etc) via the set button and counting the beeps on various ESC’s... trouble is I used £60 ESC’s for 4s 1/8 MT’s back in the day so they are overkill now, I’d like a much cheaper ESC to run in my 2WD SCT but I need to be able to set the brake force as my current one just spins out the truck when the brakes are applied.

Any recommendations for a brushless and 2s Lipo capable programmable ESC  Thor can be set via a Set button ( not having to buy a programme card)

• Like 1

(Not that much cheaper, but)

I'm running the hobbywing 10bl120 in the mid with a 5.5t and programmed on the button. Can't remember off hand actually how much brake adjustment there was, but enough for me! (You'll be able to download the manual no doubt and check?) 

If I was getting another, id get it from Modelsport,  its a few quid cheaper from Hobbyking, but I got hit with an import ransom, so blew any cost saving.

They do a cheaper 60a (half the amps), but it's only a fiver cheaper,so...🤷‍♂️

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored/rc-car-products/425021

• Like 1

From the hobbywing site :-

8 steps of timing adjustment greatly increase the output power of the motor and unlock its maximum potential

Proportional brake with 4 steps of Maximum Brake Force adjustment, 8 steps of Drag Brake Force adjustment and 4 steps of Initial Brake Force adjustment.

9 steps of acceleration (punch) adjustment, from “soft” to “very aggressive” to fit for different kinds of cars, tires and tracks.

• Thanks 1

Much appreciated, would mean doing some dreaded soldering too but I can’t keep getting lucky with Pre soldered stuff 🤣 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Much appreciated, would mean doing some dreaded soldering too but I can’t keep getting lucky with Pre soldered stuff 🤣 

Mine came with pre-soldered wires, but needed connections.

Practice makes perfect mate ! 👍

(I know you know, but others might not, the timing only works on sensored motors but the esc will run sensorless too)

• Like 1

This ESC can be had for £31 if you can wait for it from 🇨🇳 ....can’t beleive I’m too skint to even buy this just now 😂 

• Haha 1

Just looking at one of these now (says in stock UK on HK so I assume no import duty).

I was going to either use it with a 13.5 Speed Passion motor or 10.5 Tamyia which I already have and use with the std Tamiya TBLE-02s (with the Fan when using 10.5t!)

I fancy trying a 3s Battery though (currently using 2s's)

My question is though is there a hard case 3s lipo out there that is Tamiya sized and suitable for above?

11 hours ago, gizard said:

Just looking at one of these now (says in stock UK on HK so I assume no import duty).

I was going to either use it with a 13.5 Speed Passion motor or 10.5 Tamyia which I already have and use with the std Tamiya TBLE-02s (with the Fan when using 10.5t!)

I fancy trying a 3s Battery though (currently using 2s's)

My question is though is there a hard case 3s lipo out there that is Tamiya sized and suitable for above?

I don't know about the 3s but having done the same step from tble02s to BL120 on 13.5 I would see how you go with 2s first. The ESC makes a massive difference. 

@Jason1145 if you can save another tenner Modelsport will do the soldering for you for about £4 on top of the ESC. 

• Thanks 1

I am already using a 2s with the TBLE-02s and 13.5 / 10.5 does just the esc make that much difference? If so I assume the 10bl120 is capable of drawing a higher current from the battery than the tble therefore what c rating does the battery need to be? Also I have been using alarms on the balance port are the internal cut offs on the 10bl120s effective?

cheers

G

1 hour ago, gizard said:

I am already using a 2s with the TBLE-02s and 13.5 / 10.5 does just the esc make that much difference? If so I assume the 10bl120 is capable of drawing a higher current from the battery than the tble therefore what c rating does the battery need to be? Also I have been using alarms on the balance port are the internal cut offs on the 10bl120s effective?

cheers

G

Yes it does make that much difference. No need to up c rating, the ESC draws more current and has more setting adjustments (timing and punch). My TRF201 with a BL120 and 13.5 is quicker than a trackstar 9.5 with a 60a ESC. If you want more after you get the ESC then it's no problem to do that, I just suspect that in my experience just the esc performance uplift will be enough. 

• Like 1

Cool thanks Ordered from Modelsport in the end as all of a sudden there was no stock in the UK or EU from HK....

Looking to put one on my TT-02B which currently runs 64t with metal diffs and 13.5t Speed Passion. Also one on the Egress which currently runs a Brushed SuperStock BZ (I will change to a 13.5 Speed Passion) - both using Core RC 2s Lipos - so will be interesting to see what speeds I get.

53 minutes ago, gizard said:

Cool thanks Ordered from Modelsport in the end as all of a sudden there was no stock in the UK or EU from HK....

Looking to put one on my TT-02B which currently runs 64t with metal diffs and 13.5t Speed Passion. Also one on the Egress which currently runs a Brushed SuperStock BZ (I will change to a 13.5 Speed Passion) - both using Core RC 2s Lipos - so will be interesting to see what speeds I get.

I have 2 running on speed Passion 13.5. Get the final drive ratio down to 7 or a bit less and it will fly. I am running 6.6 on the TRF201 and 6.7 in the Thunder Dragon with no issues at all. I haven't even got the fan in the TRF as it doesn't fit under the shell and it's fine. 

14 hours ago, gizard said:

does just the esc make that much difference?

2nd what @ThunderDragonCy said, yes it makes a difference. The limit of the tble02s is 10.5t, which means its kind of struggling to provide the full punch. The BL120 will provide enough grunt to go to a 5.5t in an off road buggy, so won't break a sweat running a 10.5t.

Enjoy ! 👍

• Like 1

Well received 2x BL120s yesterday and fitted one to the Egress. Upon testing running the wheels in air it seemed very powerful as the tyres diameter increased by about 2cm. Anyway took it for a drive and it slowed fairly quickly. To start with I couldn't work out what was wrong. I changed the battery to another 2s LIPO (I should mention that I had set the LVC to 3.2v/Cell up from the default of 3.0v/Cell). With the second battery all was well. Turns out that the first battery is very under balanced - it has been on a balance charge for well over 9 hours and has taken so far 2200mA but at an average rate of about 0.2A (it's a 4000Ah Core RC Battery).

So note to self Balance batteries more often! ;)

I suspect I might need to get some maintenance done on the Egress' ball diffs soon!

Next up will be the TT-02B  

Cheers for the advice.

G.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 9:03 PM, gizard said:

So note to self Balance batteries more often!

I balance charge them every time!!

This is were you find your next weak link, the battery. The lipo cut off (this esc cuts power when it starts getting close to complete cut off voltage) kicking in if the battery can't provide the amps, the motor demands, and it'll pull the volts down. 

Maybe a good C rated lipo next on the list 😃

• Thanks 1

Tried the other ones I have and they where fine the Core ones are 30c/60c rated (I have 3) and I have a PowerPlant one which Just say 45c on it. 

I am now feeling that I should upgrade the TT-02B for DF-03 perhaps! ;) 

• Like 1