Baddon

My 4WD collection - ERM.....and how its getting out of hand

As some of you know I am collection the 4WD buggies from my youth.From Boomerang to Terra Scorcher.

Well at least I was till this popped up locally on GumTree for a good price. Told myself I was buying no more buggies till I had the ones I have finished. You know that lie we tell ourselves and the boss.

as i got it 3

It came with a box instructions and loads of bits and bobs, in full running order as it was raced.

as i got it 2

Ok so its not got the right wheels, or tires, the body is BRUSH painted inside and OUT!!!!!!! badly round the decals. BUT it was only £60 and came with Hi Caps and 2 Tamtec cars with it. The Tamtecs are already with a new owner, the wheels, original blue shocks and near bald tires and body are on their way and the money from the Tamtech's paid for for the car and the bits so its basically free.....This hobby pays for its self!!!!!! OH the lies we tell ourselves and our other half's.

as i got it 1

NO MORE until I have finished all the work on the ones I have.

UNTIL that MUST have bargain comes up cause you secretly really fancy a (oh lets be honest anything Tamiya that looks good - **** thats just about most of the back catalogue!!!!!)

It started with-

I do LOVE the look of the MadCap and the Astute so if they ever came up at the right money.....And a Nissan King CAB, oh and a monster beetle, a lunch box (OK all the monster trucks really) maybe a FROG or a FOX as well BUT only at the right price.......honest!!

**** who invented eBay you have a lot to answer for.

SO what have you bought cause you found it at the right price rather than went looking specifically for it. 

Show us how you found it and how it finished up (basher or display)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know exactly how you feel. My collection has ballooned to over 45 models, not including a few boats, planes, mini-z's, and heli's. I always tell myself no more, till I spot a deal that I simply cannot pass up. I tired a few years back to sell the collection down to 15-20 cars, but it didn't make me happy, so ended up re-purchasing the same cars I had just sold off. That was truly wasteful spending on my part, should have just kept the original collection alone. I now look at it this way, I do not drink, I do not smoke, and really do not spend money on anything else besides family, and then the hobby. Its good clean fun, the kids like it, the wife will always get over another 4 wheeled toy, and it doesn't hurt anybody in the end.

That is a nice find indeed! Looks like all the bits are there, just needs a refresh.

• Like 3

more bits arrived. Just need the blue shocks of original for the complete look. The Black CVA's I have are a much better shock BUT not box art.

new clothes2

bonus a semi decent set of original tires

new clothes1

• Like 1

just need the blue shocks and to get some silicon spray on the tires and get the display cabinet to put it in.

@Baddon You have done what I have so nearly on a few occasions. I am a real fan of that series but I have always not quite pulled the trigger because I would want to run it and the transmission is a nightmare, and I have four 2wd buggies already. If you want my entry for 'I really shouldn't have bought that' my cheeky low ball bid on this about 10 days after I bought my DN01 is this years' entry

2018-06-25_08-56-03

Arrived a cheap ESC and 27t brushed motor. Some gear diffs, shock oil, ESC and 8.5t brushless, new wheels and tyres and some new stickers later its now very lovely 

20181017_220314

• Like 1

Well I finished it today. 

Finished my Madcap restore.

Changed the body, Wing, shocks, wheels and tires.

From-

as i got it 2

To this

finished sidefinished frontfinished back

Those with a really keen eye may notice the tires are not shinny all the way round the side ( I left the main writing on them clean so as I have the option of white lettering them when my fine tipped paint pen finally arrives)

Have to say I am really rather chuffed. 

Love an astute now !!!!!

• Thanks 1

I have bought another 2 Madcaps, one a never run virgin with all pristine cept for some of the decals.

Other run but in good condition in all red.....

One is to convert to a saint dragon (body ordered, decals and I HOPE parts for red shocks on way)

The other was just a really keen price - Will the astute body fir a Madcap?

• Like 2

"Buy another Buggy" just rolls of the tongue oh so easy doesn't it? ;)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

getting even more out of hand.....

at this rate I will run out of display space!!

• Haha 1

Just to add to my display case (or my problem!!!!)

Got this on eBay as I think its the second sexiest of the vintage 4WD after the Vanquish. The fact I had noticed a set of NIB vanquish rims did not help me resist the urge to bid near double my supposed limit.....just topping £200 with post.

Super hotshot

Opened the box this am and just started it, see how I got in (not bad in a single day starting at 11 ish AM till now 9 ish PM

Super hotshot

Super hotshot

Used a white paint pen and colour sharpies for the driver. Pretty happy with it.

Super hotshot

Super hotshot

Love the colours and aluminium in this buggy BUT hatted trying to get all the cable ties tight and cut neatly round the mesh in the roll cage !!!!!! WHAT A  *******ER of a thing to do.......

Super hotshot

. and as far as I can go till I get body done. I will order the vintage MCI decals and do it as a Super Shot.

Super hotshot

So thats the last slot in the Display case filled !!!! erm now what.

OH, I could get 2 more on top!! OR OR move the lunchbox and pumpkin to the top and I can get 4 more in.......phew though I needed another case there for a minute and I don't really have anywhere for it!!!!.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good lady is laughing at me as I try to justify (while being skint!!) buying another for my case.

Just bought a HotShot re-re still in its box with just the body done (double win as thats the bit I dislike while I get to build it, the bit I like)

Now I need a HotShot 2 (to complete the full set of 4WD from 1st to Fire Dragon) OH and 2 more shelves for the display case.

I am DOOMED......DOOMED

Of course I also had to order the decals from the Original as well.

On 8 February 2019 at 7:49 AM, Baddon said:

getting even more out of hand.....

at this rate I will run out of display space!!

You're doing it wrong. 

I'm told that 'good' museums have at least 10-20X the exhibits stored away in their archive collections, to be rotated onto their display areas. 

You'll also be reducing UV exposure damage by keeping some items in the dark some of the time.

:P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its Ireland -UV exposure behind glass in a darker corner...... while it rains and we have the fire running in front room!

Appreciate your idea and concern though and love the logic!!

Is your goal merely to fill that display case/s with RCs that don't get run?

Surely you need a runner for every mint built? 

Plus a 3rd to keep MIB.

minimum! B)

I run Traxxxas these days as I found they break less, especially if there are 3 in close space and 2 drove by kids.......Tamiya's REALLY don't like head on's.

I am not aiming to simply fill the display cases. I am attempting to display the Tamiya old school buggies I have.

As a lot of you also find its a bit of an addiction and as we are in a position to afford it we do so. 

HOW MANY of you had the guide book as a kid and it was very well used with pages falling out and knew every single spec from all the ones we were even vaguely interested in?

I also did this on Mountain bikes, then Motor Bikes and Then cars and Trikes. 

As we are in a position to now have MANY Tamiya cars in a relatively short period of time we do. ITs like letting that child from our youth free and if we still get a kick from it....then why not. 

As a bonus my kids all love the display and constantly change their mind as to what they deem to be their favourite.

• Like 1

Look what the postman brought me today...courtsey of @blakeatron.....This is an idea kit for me as the bit I dont like doing (The body) is already expertly done. So I get to build it and when I do -I just add the finished body.......YOOOOOOO

20190326_175342

Also arrived are the Decals for my Siant Dragon and SuperShot as well as a set for the Hotshot so I can make the shell match the original rather than the re-re.

20190326_175833

• Like 1

lol..... nice mate ,.... I still love to look at my SuperHotShot think it has the best of all three ...still got to strip to fit the new diff sets I got last year ..

• Thanks 1

Chuffed it arrived ok, hate posting things.

You are slipping though - sold my supra to @Carts and he has finished it already!

just to add to the collection. 

2019-04-26_05-48-29

I now have all the Tamiya 4WD buggies from HotShot through to the Fire Dragon (with exception of the Avante as I never had any love for it as it was JUST toooooooo far beyond my reach as a kid) I have 2 spare shelves in the display case.......WELL I WILL, after I get 2 more shelves made!!!

20190426_191740

this is what retail therapy must be all about as ever time I look at the display cases (they site beside the dinner table so seem them every day at least once)

I have a HS to build as yet, the SuperShot to decal, the Saint Dragon to source a rear body mount, paint and decal, the Boomerang to strip and clean. Tires and wheels to change on Fire Dragon, Vanquish, Thunder Dragon and Thunder Shot. Driver and chassis cover to add to the Thunder Series cars. Oh and the HS 2 to ballrace which will involve a total rebuild.......

Oh and a Midnight Pumpkin body to source in decent order.

• Like 3

I have a friend who might be persuaded to sell his new built 2011 svante. 

2 hours ago, Butler said:

I have a friend who might be persuaded to sell his new built 2011 svante. 

lol......skint, the family caravan has a fridge issue that needs fixed....looks like a minimum of £300 to fix and family first?????

but just for kicks send me a pic or too with a price!!

Built the re-re hotshot, it was a NIB BUT the seller had done the body which is great as its the bit I like least and also meant I could go from this at 9AM to

20190427_085106

20190427_085126

to this this just now.

2019-04-27_05-38-09

• Like 2