Baddon

My 4WD collection - ERM.....and how its getting out of hand

Finally finished the decals on the Super Shot and corrected the order of the 4WD buggies.

20190629_171355

20190629_171417

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Garyrc01 said:

Nice collection of 4wd buggies!  The Shot series buggies are awesome, so is the Vanquish.

Thank you.

Better photo of the lower half of SHOT series buggies. From bottom:

re-re Hotshot never run

re-re Supershot never run with MCI classic decals

Vintage Hotshot II, lightly used- Came from a TC user from France.

My own 1st Tamiya my 2nd hand Boomerang with new shell (waiting on full rebuild) and new driver ready to install.

20190630_091045

The upper half is

re-re Bigwig never run with MCI classic decals.

My take on the Winger on a vintage Boomerang lightly used

Super Sabre restored (bought in about 3 lots of eBay as very hard to come by)

My Vanquish. Used with new wheels. I have correct tires and a new shell with driver to add when I get round to rebuilding this one. Came from a collector in Germany.

20190630_091051

The other side of the collection cabinets has the Thunder Shot series buggies. All with new bodies, some all fully nut and bolt restored some still needing work. I have new tires for them and chassis cover and drivers all still to do & add.

The Thundershot is my original first build Tamiya and was the first to get a restore as well. As such it was the poorest done....ie restored to runner without the cleaning (no sonic cleaner at the time) and did not bother to rebuild the shocks, change the bearings in the gearboxes ( I now have bulk bought the two common bearings used in these cars and have loads of them so tend to change them all on the way back out on a rebuild) I have re-re tires and wheels to go on this BUT I do intend to leave the front suspension as I ran it back in the day. It has most of the Terra upgrades available, cept the top wishbones which I found fiddle and weaker with more slack than the solid plastic ones.

20190630_091057

This is what I set out to collect, just these 4......

I also have a MadCap in Shelf Queen condition, a Saintdragon I built from a lightly used Madcap and parts sourced from here and eBay. and my old Pumpkin in need of a body as its so mashed and a Lunchbox to keep it company.

• Like 3

Well this is really getting out of hand....

I have now added a WW2 to my Pumpkin & LB

I have also managed to track down an Astute to add to my MadCap and Saintdragon (not painted as yet....decals look a nightmare which if I am honest it why I have not painted as yet)

This will leave exactly ONE space in my display cases if I have the 3 wheelie trucks along the top.......

SO I may give in and try and find an Avante, a 2011 is the most likely. JUST so there is no empty shelves. For no other reason.....at least its 4WD!!

Honest.....

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:10 PM, Baddon said:

Well this is really getting out of hand....

I have now added a WW2 to my Pumpkin & LB

I have also managed to track down an Astute to add to my MadCap and Saintdragon (not painted as yet....decals look a nightmare which if I am honest it why I have not painted as yet)

This will leave exactly ONE space in my display cases if I have the 3 wheelie trucks along the top.......

SO I may give in and try and find an Avante, a 2011 is the most likely. JUST so there is no empty shelves. For no other reason.....at least its 4WD!!

Honest.....

I am a huge Avante fan!

spacer.png

• Like 2

Bought a mangled Manta Ray for the missing slot, BUT cant face doing as a Manta as I REALLY dont like the body, while the Dirt Thrasher is rather fetching so I have the following to do

Manta to Dirt Thrasher (TBG  body and MCI decals have arrived) also need an A5 as the front shock tower wont stay fixed even for a display model. I have a set of pin spikes that used to be on my Thunder Dragon which now has correct wheels and tires added.

Astute (TBG  body and MCI decals have arrived) and need to add a motor 

Saint Dragon (TBG body already cut out and MCI decals to add)

Vanquish -    (TBG  body and MCI decals to return to box art) Also have a set of original pin spike tires to add.

My old Boomerang needs a full tear down and clean/rebuild with checking bearings on way.

Sounds like I have lots to do if we have to self quarantine. 

So an update ( I have been insanely busy with work and building a stable well 3 actually and a hay loft in an existing building- hay loft finished at last but I am a stable and a half done - but thats a whole diff build thread!!!!)

Astute 

2021-01-17_09-01-31

Calling that done, this is a NEVER used buggy that was missing the shell so its had a TBG body added with MCI decals. The wheels and tires were still in the packet!!

Saint Dragon 

2021-01-17_09-00-43

DONE - found a set of barely used tires (it was another Madcap that i converted after finding the red pogo's on evilbayand a 3d printed rear body mount from a member on here)

Vanquish still need to add the now painted TBG body

Boomerang unchanged from above

Busted Manta Ray front gearbox and suspension tower rebuild and new body added and its now on display but needs the following if anyone uk based can help:

rear bumper - 1 Nr front spring bottom carrier for a shock, Battery retainer for Motor side and correct wing mount for a Dirt Thrasher?

Dirt thrasher

Lastly I got about 12 of the mini boxes to display with the bugies BUT they are time consuming and eye straining (least thats my excuse for only having done one of them. They do look sooooooooo goood though. Here is my Madcap with its mini Box. If anyone is interested they are from a guy in the UK and his selection has increased massivly. They are supposed to be mini versions of the full size so I believe they differ in size like the real ones - not checked as I have only made one up as yet.

2021-01-17_09-01-10

i

• Like 3

Update - 

Manta Ray to Dirt Thrasher

I have replaced the front gearbox casings, the front suspension tower, the front bumper, added a back bumper, battery retainer. I also fixed the front lower spring retainer on one of the front shocks (put one in were a stack of washers were) 

Added a TBG body with MCI decals for a Dirt Thrasher (NOT a fan of the Manta looks)

2021-01-31_07-35-52

Vanquish -

removed wheels and put on a new set of supper gripper pin spikes. Give the plastic parts that stick out of the body a gentle rub with a wet wipe. Put on the TBG body with MCI decals. Here it is now.

2021-01-31_07-35-15

I also discovered I I have 2 full set of tires for the Thudershot family of buggies. So a bit more to do. Also the mini buggy boxes need done.

• Like 3

On 04/11/2018 at 9:59 AM, Baddon said:

As some of you know I am collection the 4WD buggies from my youth.From Boomerang to Terra Scorcher.

Well at least I was till this popped up locally on GumTree for a good price. Told myself I was buying no more buggies till I had the ones I have finished. You know that lie we tell ourselves and the boss.

as i got it 3

It came with a box instructions and loads of bits and bobs, in full running order as it was raced.

as i got it 2

Ok so its not got the right wheels, or tires, the body is BRUSH painted inside and OUT!!!!!!! badly round the decals. BUT it was only £60 and came with Hi Caps and 2 Tamtec cars with it. The Tamtecs are already with a new owner, the wheels, original blue shocks and near bald tires and body are on their way and the money from the Tamtech's paid for for the car and the bits so its basically free.....This hobby pays for its self!!!!!! OH the lies we tell ourselves and our other half's.

as i got it 1

NO MORE until I have finished all the work on the ones I have.

UNTIL that MUST have bargain comes up cause you secretly really fancy a (oh lets be honest anything Tamiya that looks good - **** thats just about most of the back catalogue!!!!!)

It started with-

I do LOVE the look of the MadCap and the Astute so if they ever came up at the right money.....And a Nissan King CAB, oh and a monster beetle, a lunch box (OK all the monster trucks really) maybe a FROG or a FOX as well BUT only at the right price.......honest!!

**** who invented eBay you have a lot to answer for.

SO what have you bought cause you found it at the right price rather than went looking specifically for it. 

Show us how you found it and how it finished up (basher or display)

What is it. Photos not loading

12 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

What is it. Photos not loading

It was a battered Madcap, that turned into a mint madcap, a very tidy Saint Dragon and a never ran Astute.

2021-01-17_09-01-10

2021-01-17_09-00-43

2021-01-17_09-01-31

I did add a lunchbox and a WW2 as well.

Where will it end??

• Like 3

Wow. I’m blown away by this collection. It’s blazing! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 2:39 AM, Exit13 said:

Wow. I’m blown away by this collection. It’s blazing! 

Thanks, lost my RC mo jo so have done nothing for about 6 months or more. keep debating selling then someone will come to the house and chat about them and it keeps me from parting with them.

Edited by Baddon
spelling mistake

1 hour ago, Baddon said:

Thanks, lost my RC mo jo so have done nothing for about 6 months or more. keep debating welling then someone will come to the house and chat about them and it keeps me from parting with them.

If you do ever decide to part ways, you know where to find me... :D

Well I was recently picking up a Fb marketplace item (not RC related) and saw the son of the house had a new RC truck, got talking and turns out dad had a vintage lunchbox that was busted......came away with it to fix up and a new gearbox and a few other bits later a very happy owner came and colelcted it. RAVED about my collection and we spent hours chatting.

So took to having a look through my Tamiya build desk /boxes and boxes and boxes and found body posts for mu pumpkin - now fitted.

Also loads of the miniature boxes that I thought I had lost - so started on them as well - need prit stick so will get that later today and get these moved on and added to the display cases. 

• Like 2