Kingfisher

I don't understand Facebook

In trying to be more socially active on the internet, I setup a Facebook and Instagram account. I have no friends or family members in real life, and my girlfriend doesn't do social media. My only contact on Facebook so far is a coworker who helped me set it up. Other than that, I haven't had a chance to do anything with the account. After a couple days, my account got locked out. It said that they saw suspicious activity on my account, and I now need to upload a photo of myself to prove that it's really me.

How could a photo prove that it's me if I hadn't uploaded anything yet? :blink:

So, I uploaded a photo, which they claim won't be posted publicly. A day later, and I got my account back. I was too busy to mess with it, and a couple days passed. They locked me out saying the same thing. So, I had to send another photo to get my account back. A few days later, and repeat. Locked out again. What is the point?

The coworker told me that I might need 5 people as contacts to vouch for me to say that I am who I say I am. Anybody know anything about this? I don't know 4 other people, and anyone else that I may personally know, I don't want to be connected with online. I thought it would pick up contacts as the account progressed. 

30777871697_aa2954a9c6_b.jpg

• Like 1

Not a clue about this but I guess will all these Russian bots and fake accounts they are being cautious.

I am sure 5 people here will add you to get you started. Pm me if you need 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a common way of proving your identity. You need to worry when they start telling you to wear a fish on your head or get a weird tattoo about a church you've never heard about.

419 scammers were often photographed with signs written in English with funny slogans. 

The trophy room is always a good laugh. Sorry, that was completely off topic.

I don't use Fb, but if I did, I wouldn't upload any photos for fear of advertisers chasing me down the street, I am already seeing adverts I swear I only thought about. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

How do they know the photo is of you ? Sending them  a photo doesn't prove anything unless they can check it against another photo of you somewhere else on the internet. To me that says straight away 'Invasion of privacy'. Sounds like they are using facial recognition software to check for you against other images on the internet, which if you are not socially active on the internet and value your privacy they won't find anyway. This might be why they keep asking for more photos,   because they can't find another image of you on the internet to check you against.

How would they know the difference if you had gone to the local library, got an old book, scanned in a photo of someone who picture is unlikely to appear on the internet, and sent them that. Personally I'd never have a FB account, you should look into how they make their money and all the media attention they've received in the last year that has been focused on them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

How do they know the photo is of you ? Sending them  a photo doesn't prove anything unless they can check it against another photo of you somewhere else on the internet. To me that says straight away 'Invasion of privacy'. Sounds like they are using facial recognition software to check for you against other images on the internet, which if you are not socially active on the internet and value your privacy they won't find anyway. This might be why they keep asking for more photos,   because they can't find another image of you on the internet to check you against.

How would they know the difference if you had gone to the local library, got an old book, scanned in a photo of someone who picture is unlikely to appear on the internet, and sent them that. Personally I'd never have a FB account, you should look into how they make their money and all the media attention they've received in the last year that has been focused on them. 

That's what I am saying. I've never posted a picture of my face on the internet. I prefer to be behind the camera, not in front of it. I'm wondering if they use the EXIF info in the picture to see the time and date, to tell if it's a recent picture or not. I'm also wondering if I could take pictures of unknown people from the internet and change the EXIF to a recent time and date and see if they would accept it. 

I've read about FB and all of the things they do. I just want to have a profile setup for a design business idea I have been working on. I also cannot upgrade my Instagram account to a Business account without a Facebook page. 

I only use Facebook (No Twitter or Instagram, whatever that is).

Facebook is trying to clean itself up with regards to fake accounts, I know a few people who's accounts have been frozen, until they changed their name to a real name, not sure how they know it's not real, I'm thinking if your name is 'Asif Imbothered' you'd have enough to worry about! (Or maybe not 😂

It can be quite disturbing, when your talking about something with the wife, and then reliant adverts appear in your newsfeed, (could be coincidence, but I've never seen any adverts anywhere for , baby ballet!) 

Saying that, having moved away to another country, and other friends moved to the other side of the world, it really helps keep in touch, plus the host of RC pages out there to interact with! 👍

You'll always get , Trolls, or , wind up merchants, as we called them before the internet, but it's nothing I'm worried about (although I have had a private message off someone telling me,  I couldn't be a real tamiya fan if I took my car on the beach!) Obviously someone that's never seen a tamiya pro vid 🙄😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I only use Facebook (No Twitter or Instagram, whatever that is).

Facebook is trying to clean itself up with regards to fake accounts,

That makes sense. I only have 1 contact (the coworker) and no activity so far. It's probably flagging me as a suspicious account until I get more contacts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

although I have had a private message off someone telling me,  I couldn't be a real tamiya fan if I took my car on the beach!) Obviously someone that's never seen a tamiya pro vid 🙄😂😂

Oh darn that makes me laugh and a multiple offender. 

😂😂😂

• Haha 2

On 11/4/2018 at 7:52 PM, Kingfisher said:

In trying to be more socially active on the internet, I setup a Facebook and Instagram account. I have no friends or family members in real life, and my girlfriend doesn't do social media. My only contact on Facebook so far is a coworker who helped me set it up. Other than that, I haven't had a chance to do anything with the account. After a couple days, my account got locked out. It said that they saw suspicious activity on my account, and I now need to upload a photo of myself to prove that it's really me.

How could a photo prove that it's me if I hadn't uploaded anything yet? :blink:

So, I uploaded a photo, which they claim won't be posted publicly. A day later, and I got my account back. I was too busy to mess with it, and a couple days passed. They locked me out saying the same thing. So, I had to send another photo to get my account back. A few days later, and repeat. Locked out again. What is the point?

The coworker told me that I might need 5 people as contacts to vouch for me to say that I am who I say I am. Anybody know anything about this? I don't know 4 other people, and anyone else that I may personally know, I don't want to be connected with online. I thought it would pick up contacts as the account progressed. 

Ok Kingfisher,

Facebook automatically closes your account because you have no pictures and, over all, no friends. The software believes you are a boot for scams.
So do this:

- Let me know your Facebook name.
- Reopen your account.
- Load some pictures of your models in your profile, you can create an album, organize them as you prefer.
- After you gave me your search for Tamiya Legends.
It's the Tamiya group that I administrate, there are more than 5000 people Tamiya involved. Several of them are also from the Tamiyaclub. If you don't find the group here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1630266510592821/

- Make a post, say hello, introduce yourself, post a picture of your model and explain your problem with Facebook, the lack of facebook friendship and ask the people to give you the friendship.
- Once you have more than five friends Facebook will no more close the account.
- Keep on movement your account, write on the group and enjoy it.
- Other things will happen themself.

Please write me the name that you used in your Facebook account so I make a private communication about your situation to the other admins of Tamiya Legends (we are four persons).
If I don't do it they could delete your post for error. My name as admin of the group is Massimo Russo.

Max

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, kontemax said:

Ok Kingfisher,

Max

Thank you. That is extremely helpful. I sent them a 4th picture yesterday to confirm my identity. I am still waiting to get my account unlocked as of right now. Once I am back in, I will do everything you say and give you the information. 

Thank you again.

Forget it. I'm done. Now they want me to upload a picture of my ID in order to get back on. I'm not giving them all of that information. A name is more than enough.

Thanks for the assistance @kontemax.

I would write to Mark Suckaburger and complain, Tell him that JR EWing was your best and only friend. You only want to join to make a page to honour him. tell him how many friends you have on Tamiyaclub and how his website should have more Tamiya and less arguing. Then get all your facebook friends to leave in protest and join a friendlier website like Tamiyaclub. :)  :)  

Call it Tamiyaclubook and then we can all complain about things in textspeak.

I might just wait around here.

On a different note, Do the paying subscribers on Tamiyaclub have a blog type page? or just the showrooms? ( I will check it out, not keen on FB.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Forget it. I'm done. Now they want me to upload a picture of my ID in order to get back on. I'm not giving them all of that information. A name is more than enough.

Write back and say, you have no ID but can take a picture of a salmon with todays newspaper. That will get you in. :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Forget that account and make another one.
Facebook is going to killing itself.
Not your problem, open a new account with a different and realistic name and do what I said.

Max

• Like 1