Re-Bugged

Lipo Temps.

I’m just chasing a bit of reassurance on Lipo 5000mah 2s temperatures when charging please as heat I believe is a Lipos worst enemy,

While charging to full the internal temp according to the charger got up to around 53 degrees C,

And when putting the battery to storage charge the charger was showing up to 68 degrees C.

Does this sound about right?? Ta.

What charger do you have?

Does it have a temperature probe that connects to the battery?

Not sure how it is measuring that internal temperature, but certainly if the battery was that hot to the touch it is WAY too hot.

I was a bit concerned to see 68 degrees as the charger was showing, but the hard case battery was still cool to the touch at the same time? Weird. 

Without a sensor of some type there is no way for the thing to measure any temps.

Are you sure you are not just looking at the reading for the optional sensor and just seeing what it reads when nothing is hooked up?

My money is that's the internal charger temp,  when storage charging, it'll use a resistor and heat sink to discharge down to the storage charge giving a higher charger internal temp, and should kick a cooling fan in. (My LRP charger does) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

My money is that's the internal charger temp,  when storage charging, it'll use a resistor and heat sink to discharge down to the storage charge giving a higher charger internal temp, and should kick a cooling fan in. (My LRP charger does) 

Yeah I think your on the money there @Wooders28, while discharging a NiMH, battery earlier I scrolled through the charger display and was reading 'Int. Temp:  73C' ,battery was cold to the touch and the fan on the charger was spinning, so panic over, as it must be the temperature for the charger not the battery as I first thought.

Thanks all for your input.

• Like 1