Sign in to follow this  
phiber_optik

Fighter RX Conversion

So I decided my son and I needed another project, the ultimate beach basher. 
I managed to pick up this Fighter RX for a small sum of money. 
The plan is to dismantle it, clean it then fit a DT03 front end to make a double wishbone set up
2.2 Wheels and Tyres
Bearings throughout, Oil dampers (possible internal sprung ones because we like how they look)
Solid steering link from the servo and probably a few other tweaks.

This is how it arrived last night, dismantling will begin soon.

IMG_20181107_075257.thumb.jpg.63cf17585f425b096b363de48f5feea0.jpg 

Have done something similar with mine (except the DT03 wishbones), I also fitted Mad Bull rear wheels/tyres, lots of fun on the beach although I now need to rebuild as having too much fun in the wetter areas before any waterproofing didn't end well

Brilliant, wheel wise I'm thinking a set of blitzer beetle rims and then a set of 13cm 2.2 tyres, cheap and cheerful eBay specials.

I think it definitely needs the double wishbone front, the choices where cut the existing arms and in new C hubs but that would narrow the front...or fit DT03 bulkhead and lower arms and C hubs. This is a bit more effort but will keep the width at the front.

Looking forward to getting stuck in to stripping the chassis.

so finally over the weekend I got this DT01 chassis stropped down. What is left is basically what I'm keeping. Everything else will be changed / modded.

Overall the chassis was in very good condition, needs a scrub and bearings which are due in the post. Next challenge is getting the parts I need. I posted a wanted ad for some DT03 parts but no replies yet. I have attached an image of the parts I need. I dont want to have to buy a whole chassis sprue just to get C2.

IMG_20181119_135300.jpg

These are the 2 parts I need at the moment, C2 and BA14. If anyone knows where I can get these individually that would be great!

960915021_PartC2.jpg.fa2fe816eb965c86b0a404b577ec331b.jpg

Time Tunnel Models and Tony's Tamiya Parts are both usually able to order in individual parts such as BA14, however you will probably need to order the whole C sprue (19000626) to get part C2, unless of course someone has one going spare after upgrading the C2 part on their DT-03 to an alloy one, or cracking their main chassis mouldings and buying the sprue to replace them?

That said, while a double wishbone front end is a fun technical project which might be an end in itself, I would argue that you don't need it on a beach basher. On smoother, more predictable surfaces it would make a difference, but based on my experiences with my DT-01 Mad Bull and DT-03T on Mad Bull tyres, there is no perceivable difference between the two front ends on beach sand.

• Like 1

TurnipJF, I know on sand there isn't going to be much difference, it's an old chassis, basic and a live axle it's never really going to handle like a modern machine. However I am doing this purely for entertainment purposes. I love tinkering (normally on a real cars these days) winter is here and this is something for in front of the fire.

• Like 1

There are some nice aluminium options for C2, for BA14 as it's not that great a better option would be to use shafts with e clips