Collin

Dyna Blaster going TRF211X

Hi great project!!

I have always been a big fan of this very underated stadium truck i stil have 2 nib 

• Thanks 1

I am so excited, milled fiber plates are already shipped an I hope I will receive them bevor New Year. Alloy Kickup and motor guard can be done in January earliest. I´ll have full pleasure in two building steps.

I was wondering, would anyone here be interested in a DB211x conversion set for sale? It would be the second version then, after testing my prototype. What should it include?

• alloy Kickup + 3D printet front tip
  • lower deck
  • upper deck
  • battery clamp
  • front & rear damper stay
  • alloy columns
  • optional ORB 3D parts (bulkhead, front C hubs, rear hubs, rear suspensipon blocks)

Honestly, it will not be a cheap hop-up!

Kick-up top came with the postman today. Fits perfect!

tb_46.jpg

tb_47.jpg

Lets wait for fiber parts and alloy cutting.

What 3D modeling software do you use? I'd like to have a go at designing some if my own parts too.... 🤔

On recommendation from Ann3x I use fusion 360, it simply does what it should, it is very intuitive. Also had a try with freecad which is more pain than gain. Another try with rhino, but too much nerdy for me.

I´ll talk later,... now its unboxing time :)

tb_53.jpg

tb_54.jpg

Hope that all fits together... :unsure:

• Like 1

... and it does! Such a perfect alignement of parts, I am totaly satisfied and it was worth every minute of drawing and tinkering. Here is the drybild of the DB211x. Enjoy this little blurry pics.

tb_55.jpg

tb_58.jpg

tb_56.jpg

tb_57.jpg

tb_59.jpg

tb_60.jpg

tb_61.jpg

tb_62.jpg

tb_63.jpg

tb_64.jpg

tb_65.jpg

tb_66.jpg

tb_67.jpg

tb_68.jpg

tb_69.jpg

It is light, it is stiff, it looks pretty cool. Everything I wanted. Now its time to do the real kick-up and the motor guard, Still need some columns. For today I made a 1mm alloy proto-kickup per hand just to see how it fits. Also the Losi damper will need some more attention. Next step, not so funny, sealing edges. So far, thats it for today. :)

• Like 8

Will take another week or two until its ready for the testdrive.

About the midmotor topic, simply forgot to have this in my mind. DB211x 2.0?!  :blink:

Going to seal the carbon plates now.

Are those wheels just painted dyna blaster ones? Or is there a grey variety I'm unaware of? 

From experience dynablaster wheels don't take dye.... :(

Standard Dyna Blaster rims, sandblastet, plastic primer and montana spraycans. It will be fine, but anyway, its a runner and no beauyqueen :)

Who made the chassis for you? Fibrelyte? Is it on "file" so we can order? Great work!!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 7:04 PM, GTodd said:

Who made the chassis for you? Fibrelyte? Is it on "file" so we can order? Great work!!

I have a manufacturer who did it for me.  :)

So whats new you ask? Kickup did cost some more resources as expected for prototyping. Ths is V1 and V2.

tb_70.jpg

Branding :)
tb_71.jpg

As the original TRF211x the font tip is only mounted with fron bulkhead screws.
tb_72.jpg

Somehow I was not 100% satisfied and made a V3.
tb_73.jpg

tb_74.jpg

tb_75.jpg

This part will be available at Shapeways, as soon I checked all alignements. For the next days I expect the alloy kickup and motor guard from watercutting. I´ll go to ask my sheet-metal mates for machining the 30° angle and rolling the motor guard. I think the motor guard will be tricky, so i kept the best for the end. :ph34r:

I thought I could finishe the project today after getting parts from my cutterino dude.

tb_76.jpg

Obviously 7075 alloy is not the right stuff for bending.

tb_77.jpg

And here my dear friends we learn the differnece between datasheet facts and reality. Well, next time will be better, all this is for the fish (as we say in german) :lol:

Update: Got the missing colums as well and that lathe guy did m4 instead of m3 threats. Not my day today.:blink:

God bless hoppy and malt. :)

• Sad 1

The kickup thing kills me! My cutter dude remade them from standard alloy and its to weak now. It will be fine for a testrun but thats it. So my dear metal-heads, which alloy you recommend?
Somehow I made a mistake with orderieng the 7075 alloy, in my first list on page 1 I had AlMg3 5754 which might have been the right one. Somewhere I mixed up things and went wrong with my plan. Anyway, it was a good exercise bending the motor guard. I think I will do a wooden form to bend them all in the the same shape.

tb_91.jpg

And here some detail pics of the finished DB211x.

tb_78.jpg

tb_79.jpg

tb_80.jpg

tb_81.jpg

Front part of the kick-up has vour mounting holes. I have a version with two as well. Dont know which is "better"? Any suggestions?

tb_82.jpg

tb_83.jpg

Motor guard is a bit too long... doing better with V2.

tb_84.jpg

Fiber Sandwich. to get some space between the shockers and the shell I needet to raise the whole body-mount with a 2mm fiber plate. Also there is the same spacer between the upper deck and bulkhead. Now I am hardly looking for longer screws like this one with 25mm lenght.
tb_92.jpg

tb_85.jpg

Lunchbox bodymount. Needet one, had to buy four. :lol:

tb_86.jpg

Battery tray, I simply love it! You can adjust the bettery to the back, if you run smaller packs. Dont know if it is even needed but better have it.

tb_87.jpg

Just puted some threats inside the columns with Locktite thread-glue. Everything  will break first, but not this.

tb_88.jpg

Added some slots so the motor can breath freely... even gave it a nice face.

Now I have all thre Dynas. My collection is done, I am done. No more new RC cars... :huh::unsure::rolleyes:

tb_90.jpg

Ah, just forgot to say. My lathe dude messed up the mainshaft, so I cannot mount the slipper-spur-gear and so I have to wait a bit longer for the testrun. Its time to think about a own lathe...:)

• Like 4

One step forward, last bits where so lame. Kickup and motorguard need to be done but still waiting for some different materials. But the prototypes fits and will be needed for a wooden form to make next pieces faster and in the same shape.
Today I did the slipper clutch conversion. Its all Losi parts from my XXX just because I had them. Now I have a little problem with gearing but have a look.

tb_93.jpg

tb_94.jpg

Dyna Blaster/Storm/TR15-T have a 3-gear transmission with a inner ration 2.0. Now I have spur gear 84 and pinion 23 which does make FDR 7,3. I run a Nosram 10,5 brushless, which regards 8.0 for buggys and 9.0 for trucks. Now I need larger spur gears because I cant put the motor closer towards. Well, another parts needed...

So and this is how it looks electrified.

tb_95.jpg

tb_96.jpg

Another issue was the rear damper. They need the Blaster spacer at the suspension arm, othervice to much droop and everything just not good at the geometry. Also put a spacer inside the damper to reduce max. lenght. Othervice the CVDs would kiss the suspension arms. Seems like its ready for the first ride, usualy no kids at the BMX track in winter during school time. :lol:

Thanks :wub:  But since yesterday I am thinking, you did the better way with plastic motor guard. I am trying four different alloys now. AlMg1, AlMg4.5,  2024 T3/T6  & 7075. The one mounted is very weak AlMg1 but positiv point, it is perfect to do prototyping.

Can anyone say something about what I wrote about gearing?

32 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

Losi shocks also....   very nice allround

Used all I had laying around :lol: Just found Tamiya sleved dampers in parts, hope to get them together and maybe having a look.

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Thanks :wub:  But since yesterday I am thinking, you did the better way with plastic motor guard. I am trying four different alloys now. AlMg1, AlMg4.5,  2024 T3/T6  & 7075. The one mounted is very weak AlMg1 but positiv point, it is perfect to do prototyping.

Can anyone say something about what I wrote about gearing?

Is that a single or twin slipper pad spur gear?

2 hours ago, Collin said: