Sign in to follow this  
78Triumph

Cleanest way to add LED headlights to this M-05

I want to add headlights to this M-05 Golf.  It's the lexan body with the ABS grill that screws on.  I'm thinking of ways to add headlights so I can run it at night, but I don't want to hack stuff up too badly.  I'm sort of stumped on how to do it.  Any ideas appeciated!

Car in question:

29484472037_7d6fec0a36.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

I had a similar set on my Grasshopper (and a crawler ages ago), wired to the 7.2 battery, but I removed them as the light output was quite poor. They use old school bulbs rather than LEDs.  Might be OK if you don't mind carrying a 9V square cell about as well?

You could get light buckets from the E30 BMW, and modify them to fit (other circular light bucket options are available) and fit an LED kit. 

DmDenpDm.jpg

EDIT: Here's an old pic of mine installed on a Landie crawler rig I built. As you can see the LED "sidelights" completely outshine the Ram bulb headlights. 

img5109_29012007164240_9_1100_.jpg

• Like 1

I have LED headlights in some of my other cars but they came with light buckets.  I was always impressed by their light output with no need for a 9V.  I like the E30 BMW idea! 

Its always better to have the light buckets included with the body. I am finishing the Subaru Impresa rally that came with the light buckets. Installing full set of lights including turn signals, headlight, parking lights, stop lights and back  up lights