Brian_Blessed

First-timer build of Stadium Blitzer. Hand holding probably needed!

Well that’s the main build complete. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Managed to get a nice snug fit for the battery by dremmelling away some of the battery support fins to lower it and then putting in a ‘carpet’ made from Mtb inner tube and also a piece on the underside of the standard plastic battery clamp. So looks stock but holds and large battery and doesn’t rattle.

Set up the toe/alignment, finished the electrics.

Gave it a quick test run without the body on (need to paint it etc later). Got to say - it’s pretty fast! Faster than I was expecting given the fairly normal/expected upgrades people do to get more power which had made me think that stock must be slow. Maybe it will feel slow after I get used to it.

Last question before I get onto the body... I’ve added the lipo battery alarm... do it just leave it dangling loose in there or use some double sided tape to secure it? Do people have them as a permanent fixture of the car or loose?

CB434362-24C6-49B5-9438-A79EA56E3116.jpeg

• Like 5

For the alarm: depending on your ESC you possibly don't need it, I'd check what is the cutt-off and if it is designed for Lipo. If your ESC has too low of a cut-off (like my old Rookie Sport in my TL01) what I like to do is to zip-tie the alarm to the battery clip. Stop the alarm from moving around too much and reminds me to connect it as it is on the clip to close the battery port.

For your tires you will get the most of it by:

1. drilling a hole in each of your rim, 2mm is enough.

2. put open cell foam (softish) in your rear, closed cell foam (medium) in your front tires. Foam will support your sidewalls from moving too much around and keep the bead against the rims while the soft open cell foam at the back will allow the central part of the tire to deform to grip, yet not collapse. For the Front the ribbed design of the tire make it a very directive tire,  making it deform less will reduce grip slightly which should help to get a more balanced behavior.

I was wondering what I'd do to fit my new lipo square packs, could you post picture of the ribs your shaved away ? I'd like to keep the standard strap but I don't want to grind too much material on the main chassis. Probably not structural area but still.

Thanks Balgaroth. I’ll describe what I did to get more space and see the pictures below. Please excuse the complete lack of correct terminology for the parts in question...

I used a dremmel to grind away the tallest of the ribs that run across the battery compartment. The two tallest are the ones furthest at each end. Other than maybe the last millimetre or two at each end of the rib where it meets the wall I ground them completely flush with the tray. I left all the other bits that go under the battery as they were.

The only other bit I ground down were the ‘circumference ribs’ on the underside of the battery clamp moulding. The corresponding rib on the top side of that clamp makes no difference to the battery space so left it alone.

I made one adjustment to the ‘metal screw that has a hole in the top for one of the battery clamp clips to go into’ (I’m sure it has a shorter name!). Just backs it out one full turn.

The combined effect of the above was more that needed to the extent that I used a piece of mountain bike innertube both under the battery and also on top (under the clamp). This took up the slack and gives it a bit of cushion. Or you could just take it a bit slower than I did and have a firmer plastic-on-plastic fit instead.

E92F99FB-50AF-4D52-BE0E-D106D2006320.jpeg

Well, the leasurely pace of this build continues! First ever paint job. Went with the stock colours. Turned out OK but I found masking around the roll bar area a bit tricky so it not all perfectly aligned but I'm happy enough.

Stickers to go on next.....

image1-3.jpeg.54900792781b1e9da0eb37ca705850b0.jpeg

image0-2.jpeg.6cebb231aa121eb3ec76b3dab4b772d2.jpeg

• Like 6

Looks great, especially for a first one. If this is how you start, you'll be producing masterpieces in no time!

• Like 2

Well, that's my first build done. Wanted a stadium blitzer since I first saw one in the early nineties and now I have one.
Its stock apart from the bump steer mod and ball bearings throughout. Pretty pleased with how it turned out. Painting and stickers took a lot longer than I thought, but of course I didn't want to rush it.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

image0.jpeg.4fc6ed2c5c53fef188371807fa5a853e.jpegimage2-2.jpeg.f8ca45c301bd4a10867c517c5ac570c5.jpegimage3-2.jpeg.3a5017d3bda347a0043934ef42a5e3e0.jpegimage4-2.jpeg.347ba35096cf833ed25017260704b069.jpeg

• Like 7