barneys66

UK newb saying hi - starting a small vintage collection..

Hey - long time watcher, recent joiner.

Like a few people on here, at the age of 44, I'm wanting to buy a few of the models I lusted after as a kid.  The collection has begun with this Monster Beetle, and I'm currently on the hunt for a Wild Willy (swb) and a Lunch Box.  Then, I'll be looking for a Hornet and Hot Shot II.  Thereafter, who knows..

My main hobby is classic cars, so I enjoy tinkering with all things mechanical (four full-sized projects on the go..), so will eventually strip this down for a full clean, but too busy smiling at it for now.

If anyone knows of a nice M38 WW for sale then please let me know!

As bought - got the original box, sales receipt, etc.  Not perfect, but a good start..

39095821520_e80be0b0f3_h.jpg

42214464961_cdd02d22e8_h.jpg

Fitted nos wipers and then realised the steering wheel had been glued in backwards..

42729960362_23d903e6bd_h.jpg

New aerial tube, body clips, replaced damaged front wheel with another vintage one, removed any unnecessary stickers, etc, and here's how it sits today:

45103050174_e0c7329a8a_h.jpg

And, err, here's the price of a little fun in the garden..

41912686770_f94d5582e4_h.jpg

• Like 8

Hi and welcome . Great start to your collection , and with the kit box too . The steering wheel might pull out with some coaxing , if they haven't used too much glue ( or any ) . The Willy SWB is a nice one to bag too . The LB will be something to get your teeth into , as once you've got one you will research on mods for them , and there are tons !! :)

• Thanks 1

Welcome Barneys66, your not alone in being a middle aged man, fulfilling a childhood dream.

Lunch Box was the dream when I was a child, had to wait until my 41st birthday to get mine... Monster Beetle holds some good memories too, as a good friend had one many many moons ago. Nice starting point to a serious addiction.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Yes, a slippery slope for sure, but hopefully self-imposed due to available shelf space at home (for now..).  Will try and poke the steering wheel and see what happens.

Anyway, this is my latest full-sized project, on a boat from LA as we speak, so I may have to get my Lunch Box custom-painted to match :D

44113267365_b3d7dc43e1_h.jpg

31151857788_fc8d16bf72_h.jpg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, barneys66 said:

Will try and poke the steering wheel and see what happens.

If it doesn't move you can try warm water to soften the glue . If it won't budge then a good clean cut level with the drivers hands then glue it back on the right way round ;)

5 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

If it doesn't move you can try warm water to soften the glue . If it won't budge then a good clean cut level with the drivers hands then glue it back on the right way round ;)

Good tip thanks, Kev - how / would you remove the driver..?

13 minutes ago, barneys66 said:

Good tip thanks, Kev - how / would you remove the driver..?

It would be easier if you could remove the driver , but again that all depnds on how well he is glued in - they can be stubborn so don't use too much force . If he won't come out easily , I would remove the glass and then try the water , or the cut and glue . Be careful when removing the driver from the side as you could break the driver mount , or worse still crack the door , which is not a good thing .

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, barneys66 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Yes, a slippery slope for sure, but hopefully self-imposed due to available shelf space at home (for now..).  Will try and poke the steering wheel and see what happens.

Anyway, this is my latest full-sized project, on a boat from LA as we speak, so I may have to get my Lunch Box custom-painted to match :D

44113267365_b3d7dc43e1_h.jpg

31151857788_fc8d16bf72_h.jpg

Or... paint the Ford in yellow with lunch box vinyls.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bromley said:

That would stop my friends from calling it the Mystery Machine at least..! :rolleyes::D

14 hours ago, Bromley said:

Nooooo!!!!! :lol:

Clear coat that bad boy as is!

Dress the Lunchy to match B)

• Like 2

Nice work, Barney!

As a former BSE resident myself, it's good to see someone else here from the home towen!

13 hours ago, Yalson said:

Nice work, Barney!

As a former BSE resident myself, it's good to see someone else here from the home towen!

Thanks Yalson - it's not bad place; I've only been here 18 months or so, but have my favourite pubs and takeaways sorted.. :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, barneys66 said:

Thanks Yalson - it's not bad place; I've only been here 18 months or so, but have my favourite pubs and takeaways sorted.. :D

There's a really good model shop called Model Junction on Whiting Street, just off the town centre, too.

I was in there talking to David, one of the owners, about RC recently. They carry a certain amount of Tamiya gear (although not as much as they used to in the 90s!) but they can order whatever spares you need and they carry a fair range of accessories, too.

3 minutes ago, Yalson said:

There's a really good model shop called Model Junction on Whiting Street, just off the town centre, too.

I was in there talking to David, one of the owners, about RC recently. They carry a certain amount of Tamiya gear (although not as much as they used to in the 90s!) but they can order whatever spares you need and they carry a fair range of accessories, too.

Thanks for the tip - regularly pop in for an ogle on the way to the Mason's Arms, whenever lunching in town!  :D

• Like 1

Ah, the Masons! Excellent place. My friend Neil used to run it a while back, but I haven't been in for a long time so I don't know if he is still there. Oakes Barn is really good, too, although it's not so much of a food pub.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 2:46 PM, barneys66 said:

Hey - long time watcher, recent joiner.

Like a few people on here, at the age of 44, I'm wanting to buy a few of the models I lusted after as a kid.  The collection has begun with this Monster Beetle, and I'm currently on the hunt for a Wild Willy (swb) and a Lunch Box.  Then, I'll be looking for a Hornet and Hot Shot II.  Thereafter, who knows..

My main hobby is classic cars, so I enjoy tinkering with all things mechanical (four full-sized projects on the go..), so will eventually strip this down for a full clean, but too busy smiling at it for now.

If anyone knows of a nice M38 WW for sale then please let me know!

As bought - got the original box, sales receipt, etc.  Not perfect, but a good start..

39095821520_e80be0b0f3_h.jpg

42214464961_cdd02d22e8_h.jpg

Fitted nos wipers and then realised the steering wheel had been glued in backwards..

42729960362_23d903e6bd_h.jpg

New aerial tube, body clips, replaced damaged front wheel with another vintage one, removed any unnecessary stickers, etc, and here's how it sits today:

45103050174_e0c7329a8a_h.jpg

And, err, here's the price of a little fun in the garden..

41912686770_f94d5582e4_h.jpg

Welcome to the club mate! I got back into Tamiya last year and re-lived my childhood by getting a Monster Beetle (2015) - it’s close enough to my original to give me my fix! I loved seeing your Beetle too with all it’s vintage RC gubbins!

Currently building the 2nd in my collection which is a Blackfoot (2016)! 

Nice to see someone else getting back into it as well...although I know there are many of us...which is of course great! 😄👍🏼

On 11/15/2018 at 10:47 PM, Krankster82 said:

Welcome to the club mate! I got back into Tamiya last year and re-lived my childhood by getting a Monster Beetle (2015) - it’s close enough to my original to give me my fix! I loved seeing your Beetle too with all it’s vintage RC gubbins!

Currently building the 2nd in my collection which is a Blackfoot (2016)! 

Nice to see someone else getting back into it as well...although I know there are many of us...which is of course great! 😄👍🏼

Thanks for the warm welcome, @Krankster82 (and everyone else) - glad to hear you've also got the bug.

I think I might have to buy a re-re too, just so I can have the pleasure of building one..!

Your Beetle looks great B)

• Thanks 1

Cheers Barneys66!

Yeah, defo get one you can build yourself! My Beetle was the first I built myself, my Dad built my original back in the early-mid nineties as I was too young to do it myself! So rewarding doing the build and paintwork though! 👍🏼

Either go for the re-re or get another model to expand your collection! 😉

23 hours ago, Krankster82 said:

Either go for the re-re or get another model to expand your collection! 😉

Oh yes, definitely - no room for duplicates, unfortunately!  Tempted to get a new Lunchie as they look like a hoot to use and abuse :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barneys66 said:

Oh yes, definitely - no room for duplicates, unfortunately!  Tempted to get a new Lunchie as they look like a hoot to use and abuse :D

Yeeeaaaahhhh!!! Do it!!! I’ll probably end up with one at some point too!!! 😂

• Haha 1

Welcome aboard. Nice Original MB.
If you are going to run it, and you haven't already, put dogbone or CVD drive axles into it. I'm sure there are a few on here who will say differently, but back in the day I could not run the hex drive system drive axles withou them flogging out.
Hugely frustrating.

Also, you will find yourself in here one of many middle aged men searching for Willy.
I'll see myself out.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Welcome aboard. Nice Original MB.
If you are going to run it, and you haven't already, put dogbone or CVD drive axles into it. I'm sure there are a few on here who will say differently, but back in the day I could not run the hex drive system drive axles withou them flogging out.
Hugely frustrating.

Also, you will find yourself in here one of many middle aged men searching for Willy.
I'll see myself out.

Chortle chortle! 

Thanks for the welcome, and the tips - this one will have a gentle potter only, so hopefully little danger of fatigue.. 

• Like 1

So, this happened..!

Not vintage, but far too nice to pass up and can be used and mildly abused without breaking into a sweat.  Amazing deal and detailing courtesy of @jonboy1, who is an absolute gent.  So much so he's going to be doing me a custom paint job on another body to replicate my Econoline!  I have some chrome wheels and tyres ready to complete the tribute.

32452286198_fb9320d015_o.jpg

45411762045_af3d6cfa1c_o.jpg

Not only that, but he's also going to be restoring this M38 shorty acquired from Germany..

46228937521_e4a6b1513b_b.jpg

..more of which you can see here:

Excited is an understatement !!

• Like 2