barneys66

UK newb saying hi - starting a small vintage collection..

New arrival alert !!  Found on Gumtree complete with original box, radio gear, new set of tyres, numerous spare wheels, etc, etc.

Shabby but with zero signs of damage, I've sent out the Bat Signal to @jonboy1, to book me in for what should hopefully be a simple resto and repaint.  Compared to Willy at least.

Going to need a bigger shelf..

48242308517_902aebe1de_k.jpg

• Like 2

WOW, HS2 and a SWB WW are both hard to come by unless your pockets are deeper than mine. Well done.

BUT now what......you will make some excuse that its a bargain and then your off again with a new set of targets! been there and done that. My collection has been com pleated twice now!

• Like 1

@barneys66  That's a nice collection there. Nice to see the vintage examples, and they're also painted well. The "SWB" (Short Wheelbase)* Wild Willy is interesting, since you specifically went for that at the start of your collecting. Most people only discover it a bit later, once they become more versed in the variations in the earlier Tamiya kits. Did you have a memory of it, or did you become interested after reading about it?

Hotshot II looks ready for a restoration. Seems as though the paint is voluntarily removing itself in preparation for proper Tamiya PS-5 👍

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 9:44 PM, Baddon said:

WOW, HS2 and a SWB WW are both hard to come by unless your pockets are deeper than mine. Well done.

BUT now what......you will make some excuse that its a bargain and then your off again with a new set of targets! been there and done that. My collection has been com pleated twice now!

Ha!  Thanks @Baddon, but in truth I'm a thrifty old miser and will wait for months until, as you say, the right bargain turns up and then pounce.

The collection still needs a Hornet, then the had / lust list from my childhood will be complete..

That said, the guy who I bought the HS2 off has managed to up-sell me, but more details on that later..!!

18 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

@barneys66  That's a nice collection there. Nice to see the vintage examples, and they're also painted well. The "SWB" (Short Wheelbase)* Wild Willy is interesting, since you specifically went for that at the start of your collecting. Most people only discover it a bit later, once they become more versed in the variations in the earlier Tamiya kits. Did you have a memory of it, or did you become interested after reading about it?

Hotshot II looks ready for a restoration. Seems as though the paint is voluntarily removing itself in preparation for proper Tamiya PS-5 👍

Hey @Hibernaculum, thanks; the Lunchie is a rere, as it will probably be the one I use without fear, and the MB shows its age nicely up close.  You're spot on - it was a neighbour (Nathan Crips, where are you now) who had a WW when I was seven or eight, and I remember being insanely jealous of it..!  Funny how memories like that stay with you, bit like with my Uncle who had a new 205 GTi when they first came out, and I had to get myself one of those thirty years later too!

The HS2 for some reason was painted on the outside, so it'll be great to see that stripped and refurbished - I'll be sure to post up the pics here once done, and / or hopefully @jonboy1 will run another resto thread as he did with Willy.

• Like 1

Indeed, feel free to run the remake Lunchbox without fear :)

Our earliest impressions have a huge impact on us. I still remember a tiny hobby shop that existed near where I live, and closed over 25 years ago. The owner there had a Wild Willy on a shelf in the store behind the counter. It was his, and not for sale. But as it was the only example I had ever seen in my life, apart from the pictures in the Tamiya catalogues, it was like seeing something "famous" whenever I walked in - I could hardly believe it was right there on display. And I was amazed at how heavy it was.

Another kid at school once told me that a mate of his had one, and they used to jump it and run it around on a vacant lot that my school bus used to drive past each afternoon. Each afternoon on the bus, I'd pass by, probably staring idly out the window. And I'd often imagine the Wild Willy Jeep running around there. But of course, I never saw it.

It's often those kinds of early, fleeting experiences that cause us to shell out for these cars, in adulthood :P 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Hibernaculum said:

Our earliest impressions have a huge impact on us

I remember many years back when the original Mudblaster came out , there was guy who lived near me who used to build the models for LHS . I passed by his garage one time and I could see in and saw the MB that he was building ,  probably my first sighting of a Tamiya RC . That has stuck with me for all this time , and probably inspired me to get into RC

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

And I'd often imagine the Wild Willy Jeep running around there. But of course, I never saw it.

It's often those kinds of early, fleeting experiences that cause us to shell out for these cars, in adulthood :P 

12 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I remember many years back when the original Mudblaster came out , there was guy who lived near me who used to build the models for LHS . I passed by his garage one time and I could see in and saw the MB that he was building ,  probably my first sighting of a Tamiya RC . That has stuck with me for all this time , and probably inspired me to get into RC

I take it you guys have both got one (or more) of those now..? :D

It's also the details that got me - I remember my uncle's 205 had thin indicator / wiper stalks, so when I bought mine it had to have them too (the early, Phase 1 model).  Same with the M38 - I remember the the circular bracket of the SWB, and so it had to be :)

And as for the up-sell..

The guy who sold me the HS2 had a nice collection he was downsizing, and even though this model was never on my wish list he made me an offer that was too good to pass up.

These will go into the bottom of the cupboard for a while, but once I've got some spare cash to chuck at @jonboy1 then the SS will be restored to box art spec, and the Ranger just given a clean up as the body is wonderfully original.  Both chassis will be given a full, sympathetic resto.

48259300337_b189bb289a_k.jpg

48259311972_470c7f3476_k.jpg

48259245556_a9dc012397_k.jpg

48259312722_49c872c43c_k.jpg

48259318262_4bf14b3e93_k.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, barneys66 said:

I take it you guys have both got one (or more) of those now..? :D

I've got the original ORV framed models M / Blaster , Blackfoot and M / Beetle , I don't have a WW1 , I did have 3 but sold them on , I do have WW2 now though , but it is a completely different model from WW1 as you know , but for some comfort I have a Willys Wheeler . You got a great score with those SRB's there mate :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, barneys66 said:

And as for the up-sell..

Great vintage gold you have there. These are the kinds of vintage threads I enjoy the most. Here's hoping you restore with vintage parts, to keep them original ^_^ There's even an original black bumper there I assume (will be identifiable from the embossed writing), which looks like it needs a straighten but is otherwise a nice bonus.

Original kit boxes are also valuable. You can wipe down the box. And if you want to restore it further, straight the box sides by spraying water to dampen them, then placing flat weight on them for several days.

The Acoms Techniplus is also my favourite radio type. I found two very poor condition ones recently, which I managed to combine into this one working, clean example. I have several of them already, but they're just so 80s in design - boxy, angular, big. They remind me of equipment from the movie "Aliens" or something...

image.png.2c61ae740d527c28e97169b7fde374e9.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Great vintage gold you have there. These are the kinds of vintage threads I enjoy the most. Here's hoping you restore with vintage parts, to keep them original ^_^ There's even an original black bumper there I assume (will be identifiable from the embossed writing), which looks like it needs a straighten but is otherwise a nice bonus.

Original kit boxes are also valuable. You can wipe down the box. And if you want to restore it further, straight the box sides by spraying water to dampen them, then placing flat weight on them for several days.

The Acoms Techniplus is also my favourite radio type. I found two very poor condition ones recently, which I managed to combine into this one working, clean example. I have several of them already, but they're just so 80s in design - boxy, angular, big. They remind me of equipment from the movie "Aliens" or something...

Thanks - yes will be keeping them original.  I'm a bit of a stickler for that on my 1:1 cars too, wherever I can.  Do you mean the HS2 bumper that's in the box, as that's got a split in it but seems to be the same as the one on the car?

Appreciate the tip on the boxes too, and agree on the Techniplus - nice job there!  I like to display my cars along with a period controller - all part of the fun I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barneys66 said:

Do you mean the HS2 bumper

No, actually I meant the black bumper on one of SRB chassis. Only early Sand Scorchers or Rough Riders came with the black bumper. So it is rather sought after. 

The remakes of those models came with black also, but technically the remake bumper is easily identifiable via different embossed writing on it, compared with original. The original only has either:

• “1/10 RC Racing Bugy Made in Japan", or
  • "1/10 RC Racing Buggy Made in Japan"

The original is also more of a “matte” black in appearance, as opposed to glossy black. Another consequence of Tamiya “remaking” stuff 30 years later, and actually using different plastic compound.

Most remake parts have additional product codes, recycling codes and/or just other shenanigans stamped on them - due to the overregulation of modern production. Whereas in 70s/80s, Tamiya just stamped everything with very basic identifiers. 

4 hours ago, barneys66 said:

yes will be keeping them original.  I'm a bit of a stickler for that on my 1:1 cars too

If you need any tips, always happy to help ☺️ Hugely fussy about keeping vintage cars, vintage. Even running them 100% vintage now, as I did yesterday.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:04 AM, Hibernaculum said:

No, actually I meant the black bumper on one of SRB chassis. Only early Sand Scorchers or Rough Riders came with the black bumper. So it is rather sought after. 

The remakes of those models came with black also, but technically the remake bumper is easily identifiable via different embossed writing on it, compared with original. The original only has either:

• “1/10 RC Racing Bugy Made in Japan", or
  • "1/10 RC Racing Buggy Made in Japan"

The original is also more of a “matte” black in appearance, as opposed to glossy black. Another consequence of Tamiya “remaking” stuff 30 years later, and actually using different plastic compound.

Most remake parts have additional product codes, recycling codes and/or just other shenanigans stamped on them - due to the overregulation of modern production. Whereas in 70s/80s, Tamiya just stamped everything with very basic identifiers. 

If you need any tips, always happy to help ☺️ Hugely fussy about keeping vintage cars, vintage. Even running them 100% vintage now, as I did yesterday.

Thanks so much for this!

I couldn't see anything obvious embossed, but it has lead a hard life (as have I, so my peepers may not be up to the job) - would it be visible whilst fitted..?  I must admit to being a box art fan, so (cover your eyes) it might (might) end up with a tubular bumper guard..

Must admit I feel a bit out of my depth when it comes to 'concourse' correct restos, especially with these, but then I've not done any research.  Found out a few bits about my M38 that helped, but only once the resto was underway - the correct orientation body clips for example.

I'm sure he's reading this, though he's probably already fully conversant with the model(s), but @jonboy1 may well be in touch for any peculiarities!

Again, much appreciated.

• Like 1

No worries. ^_^

A bit more... The embossed writing on the original black bumper is located on the top side of the bumper, so you won't be able to see it while its on the vehicle. As I am lucky enough to have several brand new examples of the original black one, I've just taken some quick snaps for you. Here is a brand new original black bumper...

image.png.cc05ec87009b92f427e7cae82b211ccc.png

And here is where to look for the writing that proves this is an example from the original production run 1979 - 1985... As you can see, this example even has the misprint of "bugy" which was later corrected. I guess this one is probably the earliest of the early ^_^

image.png.bf15812837ed25b120cb1f14fb30c3aa.png

This is the other side of the bumper. As you can see, there is nothing written on that side at all. And overall, these bumpers have a muted shine to them. They are not especially polished/glossy in appearance, and the plastic is sort of matte, if anything.

image.png.7e479a3e5e9e9fac8fc0d9c58159696a.png

Only the early Sand Scorchers and Rough Riders came with the black bumper. Later vintage Sand Scorchers and Rough Riders (probably 1981 onward) came with the beige bumper instead. As did all other models that used this part, like the Super Champ, Sand Rover, Holiday Buggy and Ford F150 Ranger XLT.

Then, fast forward 30+ years after that....came the remake of the Sand Scorcher kit, along with the Rough Rider kit - which was now renamed "Buggy Champ". Both came with a black bumper also, but the newly made bumper has a really high gloss, polished shine to it as shown below. The embossed writing is also different, as you can see - it appears on the underside of the bumper and says "Tamiya Plastic Model Co.". I can't remember if the top side also has writing.

image.thumb.png.65a8c7675a8a058a6f406fae7d1121d8.png

• Thanks 1

Great collection so far! My first car was a Ranger - that might be next on the list when the right one comes along :-)

Oh, and awesome name, Barney ;-D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnoid said:

Great collection so far! My first car was a Ranger - that might be next on the list when the right one comes along :-)

Oh, and awesome name, Barney ;-D

Thanks!  Make it so - will be pleased to hear what you think of this one as the resto progresses, to see if it invokes those childhood memories :)

You know it !! :D

On 7/10/2019 at 10:24 PM, barneys66 said:

The HS2 for some reason was painted on the outside, so it'll be great to see that stripped and refurbished - I'll be sure to post up the pics here once done, and / or hopefully @jonboy1 will run another resto thread as he did with Willy.

Nope - you didn't ask me nicely.....<_<

and by nicely I mean I want grovelling, tears, gifts, songs of woe and dancing girls!

8 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Nope - you didn't ask me nicely.....<_<

and by nicely I mean I want grovelling, tears, gifts, songs of woe and dancing girls!

I have bribed you with vintage Tamiya stuff, disposed of the body and taken 'that' video off You Tube - what more do you want ?!?!

Hurry up and get started before I buy something else (in need of restoration..)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, barneys66 said:

I have bribed you with vintage Tamiya stuff, disposed of the body and taken 'that' video off You Tube - what more do you want ?!?!

hoooold on there a daggan minnut ya rapscallion!

By "bribe" you mean you sold me something, you may have disposed of the body but you posted me the head and we were both in 'that' video and neither of us were proud of what took place!

:P 

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2019 at 10:01 PM, barneys66 said:

Too late @jonboy1..!!

Just had to get one of these, as it's the car I had as a kid whilst I lusted after all the other ones.  Not sure I'll send it to JJ for resto, or just run / tinker / fix / run, just like I did back in the day :D

Photo from the eBay listing, as there's no room for it on display just yet..

48954640567_35f4583531_o.jpg

• Like 2

Just to bring these into the thread, the HS2 is finished - from this..

48242308517_902aebe1de_k.jpg

..to this :wub:

IMG_1153

IMG_1152

IMG_1151

• Like 1

Wow, your collection is growing at quite a fast pace..... before long, you will be building an extension to house it all....

I wouldn't know about that tho.....really 🙄

J

• Haha 1